Simple Solution to Gankers versus Carebears

I suppose the trade equivalent would be to successfully bankrupt another CMDR but there aren't any real means to do that trade-wise. Dunno what the exploration equivalent is, give someone the wrong directions?

It's the same as the combat pilot: get your job done.

We really shouldn't let the fact one of them causes explosions to dominate our view of it.

The special snowflakes could take a page from their boorish breathern and buck up a little.

Reading this thread, I see that a lot of people understand well the problems with this game.

But I do get sick of the swagger that pvp types and/or ganker garbage roll with when referring to the wider playerbase. Snowflakes and carebears sure. Yeah they're the idiots.

This game is not a pvp game. It's not even really a multiplayer game. This game predates multiplayer. Then you bolt multiplayer on to it without balance as a huge priority. It ends up not working too well. It wouldn't be such a problem if the game played like a multiplayer game, but it don't. cause the genre wasn't. Mechanically this game doesn't even adhere to encouraging any base level of multiplayer-oriented sanity. Shieldless ships? Ok.

The game plays closer to an RPG. It doesn't encourage practical considerations. It encourages imagination. Things wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't shoot for being so immersive or take so much time but it do, and it definitely do. So you can play some super non-combat build but it's not a case of respawn and pick a different class cause the game don't play like that.

Yeah trading ships can be made survivable but at the price of maxed engineering and about half trading capacity. Where is the 6 ly jump range on these combat ships with blistering offensive output? Where is the 100 max speed? Trading ships have to kneecap their impact for time to be survivable and even then they still can't make for the station if they survive cause there's no interdiction cd.

Then there is the fact that there is no difference in a max engineered ship going after another max engineered ship or one with no engineering whatsoever.

And Solo is the lynch pin, it's the problem that all this crap orbits around. No more solo, no more messing with powerplay, no more stacked deck in cg, and eventually the balance gets fixed or playerbase tanks.

All you pvp guys strutting around yapping about snowflakes and preaching git gud are bragging about pvp in a game that is so far from that world.

Reading this thread, I see that a lot of people understand well the problems with this game.

But I do get sick of the swagger that pvp types and/or ganker garbage roll with when referring to the wider playerbase. Snowflakes and carebears sure. Yeah they're the idiots.

This game is not a pvp game. It's not even really a multiplayer game. This game predates multiplayer. Then you bolt multiplayer on to it without balance as a huge priority. It ends up not working too well. It wouldn't be such a problem if the game played like a multiplayer game, but it don't. cause the genre wasn't. Mechanically this game doesn't even adhere to encouraging any base level of multiplayer-oriented sanity. Shieldless ships? Ok.

The game plays closer to an RPG. It doesn't encourage practical considerations. It encourages imagination. Things wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't shoot for being so immersive or take so much time but it do, and it definitely do. So you can play some super non-combat build but it's not a case of respawn and pick a different class cause the game don't play like that.

Yeah trading ships can be made survivable but at the price of maxed engineering and about half trading capacity. Where is the 6 ly jump range on these combat ships with blistering offensive output? Where is the 100 max speed? Trading ships have to kneecap their impact for time to be survivable and even then they still can't make for the station if they survive cause there's no interdiction cd.

Then there is the fact that there is no difference in a max engineered ship going after another max engineered ship or one with no engineering whatsoever.

And Solo is the lynch pin, it's the problem that all this crap orbits around. No more solo, no more messing with powerplay, no more stacked deck in cg, and eventually the balance gets fixed or playerbase tanks.

All you pvp guys strutting around yapping about snowflakes and preaching git gud are bragging about pvp in a game that is so far from that world.

I'm not a PvPer. It's just part of what I do.

So much doom and gloom, are you also using black eye liner while typing?

You ignorance is showing, combat ships have short jump ranges and cargo ships can max their defences with little to no practical cargo loss.

We will need you to explain :
Because that sentence has very little sense behind it...

You can not have balance on a simulator, life is unfair, learn to deal with it.

There are so many words that mean nothing on your post, why did you bother to write it? You speak a lot, but say very very little...

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
You ignorance is showing, combat ships have short jump ranges and cargo ships can max their defences with little to no practical cargo loss.
Can you give an example of remaining cargo capacity for a cargo ship with "max" defences, compared to its maximum potential cargo capacity, please?

Can you give an example of remaining cargo capacity for a cargo ship with "max" defences, compared to its maximum potential cargo capacity, please?

Coriolis is simple enough to use, but its fairly straightforward, a combat ship needs all the doodads, a cargo ship needs a SCB and speed to boost and jump.

A cargo ship can lose a 3-4 slot for SCB that is 8-16t cargo.
It will still make 0 difference tho, unless you can boost away and jump. Fact is, you should never carry cargo if you are not ready to fight, even NPCs will interdict you, and they will be elite and hand your behind on a platter to you regardless.

We are still on the same issue tho, if you cant take an interdiction or "player interaction", go solo.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Given that, due to the many permutations of ship and equipment, balance is highly unlikely to be fixed it follows that removing Solo would adversely affect the player-base (it would definitely stop any console player without premium platform access playing at all as they cannot play in either of the multi-player modes),

However, as a Private Group can be created with only one member, removing Solo alone would not force players to play among other players.

Solo is highly unlikely to ever be removed due to the fallout from the cancellation of Offline Mode (added to the Kickstarter scope about half way through and cancelled just before launch) and also due to the aforementioned console players (who bought a game that does not require premium platform access).

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Coriolis is simple enough to use, but its fairly straightforward, a combat ship needs all the doodads, a cargo ship needs a SCB and speed to boost and jump.

A cargo ship can lose a 3-4 slot for SCB that is 8-16t cargo.
It will still make 0 difference tho, unless you can boost away and jump. Fact is, you should never carry cargo if you are not ready to fight, even NPCs will interdict you, and they will be elite and hand your behind on a platter to you regardless.

We are still on the same issue tho, if you cant take an interdiction or "player interaction", go solo.
SCBs don't seem to constitute "max" defences - especially as there are munitions that stop their operation.

SCBs don't seem to constitute "max" defences - especially as there are munitions that stop their operation.

So, can you coriolis or not?

Everything can be negated with the adecuate gear, what seems to be the issue?

Of course SCBs are not "max defences", they are just a part, there should be hull and module parts, but if you are being shot at, you are elready scrwed, cargo ships can only escape, you should not try and "win" the engagement, there is no such thing, your "win" is surviving to deliver that stuff that makes you money.

My secure python has max size shield and about 200t cargo with 25ly laden range. The same python "for lolz" has 56 or so more cargo cap and some more range.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator

Everything can be negated with the adecuate gear, what seems to be the issue?

Of course SCBs are not "max defences", they are just a part, there should be hull and module parts, but if you are being shot at, you are elready scrwed, cargo ships can only escape, you should not try and "win" the engagement, there is no such thing, your "win" is surviving to deliver that stuff that makes you money.

My secure conda has max size shield and about 200t cargo with 25ly laden range. The same conda "for lolz" has 56 or so more cargo cap and some more range.
I can - I was hoping that some evidence would be provided to support the statement I quoted regarding how "cargo ships can max their defences with little to no practical cargo loss." - specifically the "little to no practical cargo loss".

Everything can be negated with the adecuate (adequate) gear, what seems to be the issue?
Sorry, you are really quite incorrect...

I'm reasonably familiar with Coriolis and couldn't build a trade centric ship that could survive more than a couple of well-placed volleys, let alone 'run away' without seriously compromising cargo capacity. (I was only comparing against my own FDL - against a good 2k+ DPS gank ship 2 well-placed volleys would have the ship in pieces)

I've no axe to grind either way, but for this kind of comment...

Get off my lawn! :)

Sorry, you are really quite incorrect...

I'm reasonably familiar with Coriolis and couldn't build a trade centric ship that could survive more than a couple of well-placed volleys, let alone 'run away' without seriously compromising cargo capacity. (I was only comparing against my own FDL - against a good 2k+ DPS gank ship 2 well-placed volleys would have the ship in pieces)

I've no axe to grind either way, but for this kind of comment...

Get off my lawn! :)

Except no ship is really capable of 2k DPS.

Simple. Good luck killing that before it high wakes.^

Whether one is a PvPer or not is more like whether one smokes, or not. One does not need to smoke all of the time to be a smoker whereas many people do not smoke at all and only occasionally have to endure passive smoking.

In this case I think it was more the silliness of taking one aspect of a person, in your example smoking, and appearing to presume that was all there is to it.

My own dabbling in PvP has very little to do with comments I make these days!

I really like my Phantom for cargo running and BGS work. 124 tons of cargo, great shields, and plenty of speed and jump range. Good for passengers too. Thing is, I'm not carrying as much as a maxed out Python but it makes up for it in hustle.

Plus hostile players are no worry at all.

So much doom and gloom, are you also using black eye liner while typing?

Wut. Elite has balance issues, largely as a result of lack of single design focus with the solo/open dichotomy. Anyone can see it. A big point of my post is that this reality seems lost on the people taking advantage of it.

Point 1, not in any meaningful capacity for pvp. Point 2, lies.

We will need you to explain : Because that sentence has very little sense behind it...

You can not have balance on a simulator, life is unfair, learn to deal with it.

There are so many words that mean nothing on your post, why did you bother to write it? You speak a lot, but say very very little...

You justified your statements even less than I did and when you did it was in case a. anecdotal at best, and in case b. crap.

I don't see Solo/Open as opposed. Obviously they're just instancing criteria and you can play the same game either way. I use both as appropriate to tailor my game experience as I want it.

I think this ability to cater to very different play styles with the same base game is one of Elite's great strengths which partly accounts for the success it's had so far. If this hadn't been the design the total player base would have been smaller, funding less, and the game poorer.

Open players need Solo players to fund their game, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Top Bottom