General / Off-Topic A movie rant!

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Personally I would have done one of the following

Gently slid off my seat not raising anyones attention, commando crawled through all the popcorn, discarded sweet wrappers and empty cups smiling as I went knowing I wouldn't have to watch it any more.

I'm over 40 so falling asleep in social situations isn't an issue

Feign a stomach upset and dash for the toilet and sit in the cubicle watching lol cat clips on youtube.

Spend the whole movie taking the mickey out of everything I can.

I started to fiddle with my phone, and as a guest I was looking for a polite way out, so I texted my Daughter and asked her to call me.... Oh you need me to pick you up! but but I'm watching a movie!!! ahh ok it's urgent no worries I will be there in 5!

My friends wife.... But I can pick her up where is she? ....
I think you were overthinking it. Obviously your friends wife was desperately looking for a way out too.

I've heard this story at family dinner once - one of the uncles confessed that for about 20 years he ate some soup he hated, because it was his wife favourite and something of a signature dish. It turned out it wasn't her favourite at all - she was preparing it, because she thought he liked it. After all he always said it was delicious and he loved it.

It was important lesson for me.

My missus and son loved it. I refused to watch it.

Not sure if this is the right time and place to reveal this. But I recall an incident where I dad happily planned a trip to see a film with mum and me. Every outing my 'planned' had an element of mystery about it so we were never quite sure exactly what was going to 'happen' Any way by the time we got to the cinema we discovered the film was Rambo II . Mum decided that this film was going to be to 'violent' for me to watch so the alternative and presumably less 'violent' film showing was Brewster's millions. My dad was adamant that the 'plan' had always been to go see Rambo II. So then each adult decided to watch the film they wanted I cant remember I actually had a choice but went with mum. Maybe Id seen the other one. The incident has never been spoken about again. Until now..

I understand my parents when courting used to go to the cinema all the time and mum would always go along with Dad film choices. The situation seemed to change a lot after they got married..

Not sure if this is the right time and place to reveal this. But I recall an incident where I dad happily planned a trip to see a film with mum and me. Every outing my 'planned' had an element of mystery about it so we were never quite sure exactly what was going to 'happen' Any way by the time we got to the cinema we discovered the film was Rambo II . Mum decided that this film was going to be to 'violent' for me to watch so the alternative and presumably less 'violent' film showing was Brewster's millions. My dad was adamant that the 'plan' had always been to go see Rambo II. So then each adult decided to watch the film they wanted I cant remember I actually had a choice but went with mum. Maybe Id seen the other one. The incident has never been spoken about again. Until now..

I understand my parents when courting used to go to the cinema all the time and mum would always go along with Dad film choices. The situation seemed to change a lot after they got married..
And that is marriage in a nutshell! before and after, like night and day LOL

Economics have solved the movie-going experience for me. I can get a months streaming for the price of one movie trip.

My friends are old and cranky too, so if we want to see something together, we find the biggest screen/space combo we can find at one of our places. Better food and drinks, too.

The major film industry has only itself to blame. This happened before with television. They could have learned again.

Economics have solved the movie-going experience for me. I can get a months streaming for the price of one movie trip.

My friends are old and cranky too, so if we want to see something together, we find the biggest screen/space combo we can find at one of our places. Better food and drinks, too.

The major film industry has only itself to blame. This happened before with television. They could have learned again.
Yes, price of the tickets is another good point. It's ridiculous.

Yes, price of the tickets is another good point. It's ridiculous.
I wrote an Economic essay about this at school. Actually it was about subsidising the price of Theatre tickets.

Without numerical difintions of what constitutes 'ridiculous' its difficult to address the situation. But if I said that there are some films that even if you paid me to watch Id turn down the offer does that get the point across?. In the UK everything is ridiculous right now.

In London a table at bar cost £1000.

We got this old army guy who can get all the new movies so we can watch them at home, however if there is a really good movie I would not mind paying for the ticket and go watch the movie where it should be watched. Unfortunately you can hardly find one movie that is worth the trouble.

Top Bottom