Simple Solution to Gankers versus Carebears

Give everybody guns?

Oh wait..

Works for me!

tenor.gif

As the thread title states, "Simple Solution". I have yet to see one here.

o7....

Weird, can you read?

Because the "log onto the mode you can cope with" has been repeated over and over...

If you can not cope with other players killing you, you need to play solo or private, for the rest, theres open.

For me, regarding the min/maxing of exploration vehicles in particular I was disappointed that "deep space" isn't dangerous at all.

I want there to be a random chance of alien/hermit/generally strange people from appearing and dragging me out of supercruise to probe my ship.

Random hermits shooting you to "get off my laaand".

If exploring actually were a dangerous venture then exploration ships would need defences. Then they could maybe run away a bit.

I don't like the "use solo" crutch - I want to meet people and interact but would also like the chance to get away.

I wondered about shields absorbing kinetic damage completely so needing thermal weapons to drop them - would that help?

Really? Allow me to enlighten you then.

Play in SOLO or GROUP.

There. Simple enough for ya?
Sadly, there are some in this august community who want all the socialization of open... provided that their ship is impervious to any and all potential harm from another player... while keeping the immersion... while closing exploits and strained game mechanics...

Totally simple.

Last edited:
Sadly, a great many in this august community want all the socialization of open... provided that their ship is invincible to any and all potential harm from another player... while keeping the immersion... while closing exploits and strained game mechanics...

Totally simple.
While not dealing with any horseplay or tomfoolery from whippersnappers.

Sadly, there are some in this august community who want all the socialization of open... provided that their ship is impervious to any and all potential harm from another player... while keeping the immersion... while closing exploits and strained game mechanics...

Totally simple.
Most successful multi-player games manage to have a PvE option or server, so it can't be all that immersion-breaking. Immersion seems fine in Mobius already.

I think the opposition to it is really because most of us understand how popular it would be. Original-flavour Open would be almost drained. However, I also think it will happen eventually: it's the direction multi-player games go to boost profits.

Most successful multi-player games manage to have a PvE option or server, so it can't be all that immersion-breaking. Immersion seems fine in Mobius already.

But ED has an option for you, its called private group, or solo play, why cant you get that in your head?

I think the opposition to it is really because most of us understand how popular it would be. Original-flavour Open would be almost drained. However, I also think it will happen eventually: it's the direction multi-player games go to boost profits.

You keep telling yourself that, whatever helps you sleep at night, fact still the same: Open is PvP, if you want to feel secure, go private or solo.

Just like it's drained now or even more? /s

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Just like it's drained now or even more? /s
Who knows....

If the ability to play co-operatively among an unlimited number of players was available without the social-penalty that is PvP then I'd expect that some of the players who currently play in Open might shift to an Open PvE mode.

(not that I expect an Open-PvE mode to be offered, for reasons well discussed in this thread).

But ED has an option for you, its called private group, or solo play, why cant you get that in your head?

You keep telling yourself that, whatever helps you sleep at night, fact still the same: Open is PvP, if you want to feel secure, go private or solo.
You don't get to decide what mode I play in...

My CMDR's cargo ships are all shieldless (I consider speed, silent running, and/or huge amounts of hull more reliable defenses). I also play exclusively in Open.

My CMDR has never been shot down in a cargo ship, by anything or any one, except that one time I started a fight with a wing of three 'meta' FDLs inside a starport's masslock to test some frag cannons while carrying 400 tons of cargo in an anaconda. That was dumb, but no fault of the ship.

SCBs don't seem to constitute "max" defences - especially as there are munitions that stop their operation.

Smaller SCBs are total garbage anyway.

Even on shielded setups, anything below class 5 is usually better reserved for an HRP or guardian booster. There is some argument for the class 4s on things like the FDL, but not on most trade ships.

Point 1, not in any meaningful capacity for pvp. Point 2, lies.

While Shippy's incompletely engineered lemon of a Colonia viper is hardly a match for even a shieldless trade corvette, this would still constitute PvP by most definitions:
Source: https://youtu.be/hckjcsQ1SDM?t=36

Same loadout (which holds 512 tons of cargo) has driven off pirate mediums and survived full cutter/FDL/mamba/krait gank wings in repeat encounters.

Who knows....

If the ability to play co-operatively among an unlimited number of players was available without the social-penalty that is PvP then I'd expect that some of the players who currently play in Open might shift to an Open PvE mode.

(not that I expect an Open-PvE mode to be offered, for reasons well discussed in this thread).
My assumption is that most players know about the existence of Mobius, and yet most players choose to play in open (according to Sandro).
If aversion to non-consensual PvP is really so big as some loud individuals say, I would expect Mobius to have the biggest player base, but that's not the case.
I can only conclude that most players either don't mind the occasional non-consensual PvP because it rarely happens, or even like it because of the added thrill.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having equal rights and I would like to see the Open-PvE option, although I'd never use it. But I understand that there are more than 20,000 and less than 40,000 players that would like to see it happen, as they're now forced to be fragmented in multiple Mobius groups.

Because of this being said, I can expect that some would switch from Open-PvP to Open-PvE if such option would exist, but I don't believe it would be many.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
My assumption is that most players know about the existence of Mobius, and yet most players choose to play in open (according to Sandro).
If aversion to non-consensual PvP is really so big as some loud individuals say, I would expect Mobius to have the biggest player base, but that's not the case.
I can only conclude that most players either don't mind the occasional non-consensual PvP because it rarely happens, or even like it because of the added thrill.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having equal rights and I would like to see the Open-PvE option, although I'd never use it. But I understand that there are more than 20,000 and less than 40,000 players that would like to see it happen, as they're now forced to be fragmented in multiple Mobius groups.

Because of this being said, I can expect that some would switch from Open-PvP to Open-PvE if such option would exist, but I don't believe it would be many.
Given that few players frequent the forums, I doubt it can be assumed that most players know about a series of PvE Private Groups that are not advertised on the launcher....

.... which rather undermines the assumption upon which the rest of the post is based.

Top Bottom