General / Off-Topic French pressident Macron unveils the mockup of the future European fighter!

Looks like BAE's Replica:

I imagine Tempest being similar.

With the Brexit approaching, the Europeans no longer have any complexes to copy the British technology. :)

The only thing I'd add is that the Germans and Spanish govs need to be careful with the French- when the Eurofighter consortium was designing the Eurofighter the French split from the Germans / Italians / UK / Spain quite early on, leading to the Dassault Rafale- plus the Germans are not keen on spending money (its because the German gov is dragging its feet with the Eurofighter its development has never gone anywhere) so with a program so complex I'm not hopeful of anything useful coming out of it.

The only thing I'd add is that the Germans and Spanish govs need to be careful with the French- when the Eurofighter consortium was designing the Eurofighter the French split from the Germans / Italians / UK / Spain quite early on, leading to the Dassault Rafale- plus the Germans are not keen on spending money (its because the German gov is dragging its feet with the Eurofighter its development has never gone anywhere) so with a program so complex I'm not hopeful of anything useful coming out of it.
It is significant that it is Macron made the announcement ...

:)

It will fly, certainly.

An example: the UK and France were co-developing a drone, everything was great but it looks as if the UK and France want different things and now its on hold. Something will certainly fly, but for whom and who developed it will be a different matter. Thats not to say it can't happen, the Alpha trainer, Jaguar, Concorde etc all were completed, but these days combat jets are hugely complex and expensive. My bet would be on SAAB making a cost effective jet while this project gets bogged down in confusion and escalating cost. The UK has the know how and has done a huge amount of testing, its if it has the funding.

Just realised that the forum shortens the thread title to "French press…" and I expected something about coffee. Tried a siphon? ;-)

The UK has the know how and has done a huge amount of testing, its if it has the funding.
Aren't the UK up to their throat in bungled marine projects and wasted budget on the F-35?

Just realised that the forum shortens the thread title to "French press…" and I expected something about coffee. Tried a siphon? ;-)

Aren't the UK up to their throat in bungled marine projects and wasted budget on the F-35?
What country are you from?
The UK also needs to develop an independent GPS system since we have been denied access to the co developed and funded one the EU has.
I don't understand why gov contracts arnt put on Kickstarter.

Chris Roberts is considering tendering for government contracts since he meets all the criteria.

Last edited:
Does this count as a 'political' issue? So next time the UK has to bail out the French when they get invaded there might be issues.
It was just a joke of course. :)

We know that the technology partnership between the UK and France has often been successful and will continue to be so in the future.

It was just a joke of course. :)

We know that the technology partnership between the UK and France has often been successful and will continue to be so in the future.

In case you haven't been keeping up any EU countries cannot do an independent deal with UK once we leave EU if that actually happens.
My mother is Spanish I am born in UK. You guys really don't have any Idea what this Brexit business has had with my family.

In case you haven't been keeping up any EU countries cannot do an independent deal with UK once we leave EU if that actually happens.
My mother is Spanish I am born in UK. You guys really don't have any Idea what this Brexit business has had with my family.
I think that you're wrong.

Macron has often said that the Franco-British partnership at the military level (equipment, intelligence etc ...) will continue after the Brexit.

You must confuse with the trade agreements which are indeed and will be applied to the whole union.

Macron has often said that the Franco-British partnership at the military level (equipment, intelligence etc ...) will continue after the Brexit.

You must confuse with the trade agreements which are indeed and will be applied to the whole union.

The military is a sovereign domain of a nation.

Moreover the OP of this thread indicates well about this aircraft, a consortium with France, Germany and Spain (which does not include the other countries of the union).

Last edited:

BAE Replica dev time is now going into the optionally manned Tempest program, the F35 replacement. AFAIK F35 has gone into production mode and they are fiddling as they go along, as well as trying to cut out Turkey (after the S-400 sale).

UK defence spending is up the yinyang, but a lot of this is private venture stuff with MoD prodding (BAE being the UKs prime arms people). But then, most countries have budget problems with defence. The US, UK, EU, Russia, India etc are all struggling as complexity grows.

BAE actually helped the manufacturing processes of the F35 program, and have currently several drone programs- for example Taranis which has flown several times (officially), and is one of the largest drones in the world outside what the US and China have. Depending on the shape of Brexit and the EU / UK relations you might find the UK takes part in some programs.

Also UK unis have flapless drones in testing which if the tech was used on a stealth drone would be potent.

France realises that if the UK does go and is cut off, it alone will shoulder the brunt of defense duties. Besides the UK, its the only nuclear power with significant power projection, but it suffers because its over used (example, the carrier Charles De Gaulle is worn out). Plus, the UK is part of the Five Eyes, and has the best cyber intelligence in the world outside of the US.

The difficulty is in NATO and if the US backs away. This leaves the EU in a tight spot and it will need to either spend more alone or keep the UK in the loop.

Top Bottom