Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

You should have the Comp. Scanner fitted as standard - it doesn't appear as a module, but it is there :) Just like the Data Scanner, really.

You will need to assign it to a fire-group though; have a look through the fire-group options in the right-hand panel.

Just arrived back at TZ Arietis - not surprisingly, since it's been about a year since I did one, it wasn't my finest docking :D. But I did get it done without hitting anything, earning a warning, or incurring a fine. I call that a win!

Selling my exploration data earned me just shy of 300m cr, taking me to a cool half-billion in total. I guess that's peanuts for the vopal miners but I've never been so rich! And sold several systems for more than 6m each, including bonuses for first-discovered and first-mapped TWWs and ELWs.

As a souvenir, I snapped this selfie yesterday after mapping an undiscovered TWW:
wFVYSDGh.png

Now I've got to figure out what I'm going to do next.

Repair complete. It was a little nerve-wracking handling all the delicate connector clamps, knowing how fragile they can be, and finding one already broken! Fortunately, it still worked. The videos I'd seen also didn't quite cover the entire repair, so I was on my own figuring out how to actually remove and replace the fans, which was a bit of a chore. The casing is short a couple lock tabs now, but that's a loss I can live with. The worst part was turning the core back on after getting everything back together sans casing. I wanted to see the fans spin and be able to reset connections in case something didn't work, so I had left it open. The broken connector clamp was the one for the power switch ribbon, so I was uncertain about it working and sure enough, nothing happened when I first tried it. I reset that connection and made sure the board tape was good and secure, but that didn't seem to fix it. Figuring there may be an intrusion cutout, I closed the casing and tried again, still trying to see the fans spin through their ports. No joy. I hadn't yet reconnected the main power to the core, trying it on battery power at first, and wondered if disconnecting it for the repair necessitated a recharge. So I connected the power and tried one more time from the user interface panel instead of watching the fans, and much to my relief, it came up just fine! But the fans still weren't spinning! I shut it back down in a moment of panic, but then realized that they had never turned on right away. On my last nerve, I started it up again and monitored the fan speed until it did indeed indicate that it was turning. Just to be sure, I checked the exhaust and felt the welcome rush of warm air. What a relief! I ran some diagnostics to boost the core temp and the aux fan followed right along. Backup drives were online, and all functions were normal; no misaligned or loose cables! I disconnected the power and tried it on battery again with no problems. Back in business!
It mostly translates directly. The aux fan was the GPU fan I replaced on account. The "user interface panel" part just means I turned it on with the screen open instead of it laying on its top so I could watch the fans.
I had a quick bite and a little celebratory toast to my achievement and set out again on my engineer tour, making considerable progress before turning in, meeting and maxing out what I could with Marco, Prof. Palin and Lei before making my way to Wolf 397 and ordering my Vulture transferred to dust it off for some bounty hunting for Todd. What a day!

Last edited:
"Some people say a man is made outta mud
a poor man's made outta muscle and blood
muscle and blood and skin and bones
a mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong.
You load 500 tons, what do you get?
another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store"

Well, I owe it to Selene Jean actually. Now: painite. And I'll be done with mining for a wee while - fun though. As the Cyberdtne Systems model 101 series 800 says: "I'll be back".

Need a little help...

Just flew out to the Bug Killer crashed Anaconda and I'm trying to scan the data logs at the comms consoles. Just can't make the data scanner work. I've double-checked keybinds, have the scanners set to fire groups, have targeted the consoles... and nothing happens. It used to work - I'm a veteran of many Dav's Hope runs - but nothing I've tried seems to make a difference. I've tried rebinding keys, using different fire groups, switching between combat and analysis modes. Nada!

What am I missing?

Need a little help...

Just flew out to the Bug Killer crashed Anaconda and I'm trying to scan the data logs at the comms consoles. Just can't make the data scanner work. I've double-checked keybinds, have the scanners set to fire groups, have targeted the consoles... and nothing happens. It used to work - I'm a veteran of many Dav's Hope runs - but nothing I've tried seems to make a difference. I've tried rebinding keys, using different fire groups, switching between combat and analysis modes. Nada!

What am I missing?
Wrong HUD mode, you have to be in combat for the data scanner and analysis for the composition scanner, I have them both on the same trigger and firegroup and switch HUD mode to select which one works.

First, thanks aRJay for what I’m sure is a clear explanation to most about how the setting charges thing works. Unfortunately I must be as thick as a brick because I stil don’t quite understand what to do/ what to look for/ how exactly to set charges.
I’ve watched several of the guides out there, all excellent. But I can’t quite wrap my mind around how to set the charges, how to ‘match’ them and the rest.
I don’t know why this seems so confusing to me, the rest of you guys are obviously having no problems

The wedge shaped one is a fissure and there will be visible cracks on the surface above it this needs the seismic charge launcher which is slow so watch your aim, hold the trigger down to charge the seismic and release to fire the longer you hold the trigger the bigger the charge try to match the size to the fissure, the graph under info shows how close your charges are to cracking the rock in the yellow you need more in the red and it is too much and you will destroy some of the goodies blue is the Goldilocks zone. You can select placed charges in the contacts panel and disable them to get out of the red or trigger them to advance to the ten second count.

Best thing to do is to laser the surface until depleted then abrade the surface, then displace the subsurface, now crack the rock which lets you get all abrasive on the new surfaces.

Last edited:
Colour me embarrassed... turns out the scanner was unpowered and inactive. Don't remember doing that ever, but there you go. Turned it on, and - surprise!! - it worked.

On the upside, the visit to the Bug Killer produced my first Close Encounter of the Third Kind as a Thargoid turned up and gave me a scan (understand this is a regular occurence out here). Also saw lots of non-human signal sources in the surrounding systems on my way in, but gave them a wide berth. Wish there was a way to communicate with them that didn't involve high-energy weapons!

First, thanks aRJay for what I’m sure is a clear explanation to most about how the setting charges thing works. Unfortunately I must be as thick as a brick because I stil don’t quite understand what to do/ what to look for/ how exactly to deep core mine.
I’ve watched several of the how-to vids out there, all excellent I’m sure. But I can’t quite wrap my mind around how to set the charges, how to ‘match’ them and the rest.
I don’t know why this seems so confusing to me, the rest of you guys are obviously having no problems.
And here's me thinking i'm the only one who doesn't get it.It looks and sounds like fun , but i never mastered the art before i got bored/ran out of patience.I tried several ring systems,and although i found hotspots for void opals,(it was the thing,back then),i didn't get so much as a sniff when i dropped in,despite having all the kit.(prospectors,pws and full array of ordnance).
My blasters seemed to have little or no effect and my charges just bounced off.In the end i gave up and just used the mining laser,so i didn't go away empty handed.
Keep at it,i'm sure you can work it out.I'll give it another go myself one day.
watching.jpg

Last edited:
Spent a very pleasant couple of hours last night pressing on with engineering the T6/gathering mats/unlocking engineers. Have the jump range up to 38ly now - more to come, but very liberating having been stuck at around 28ly until now. Spent the second hour trying to impress the Syrius Corp enough to have them consider me friendly. Am almost there now, and made around 15m running cargo missions for them, so now have 30m in the bank, a half engineered T6 and an A rated Keelback ready to engineer and kit out as a miner. On my second save, the biggest thing I am noticing is that I feel constantly rich as I am not racing on to the 'next' ship constantly - I know the few I want, and am getting them 100% before even thinking about moving on. So the cash is always waiting if ever I want to pick up another. So for now I finish engineering the T6 and then the mining adventure begins.

o7

Top Bottom