Ships Beam lasers - thermal overload question

I use efficient beams on most of my fast ships. On a slow one I try to have at least one long range to tickle opponents from 6km away to make them come to me instead me having to chase them until I'm in range. In some rare cases I use a single overcharged beam. One such case is my Gunship with a single large overcharged beam, quad dakkas and small cascade rails.

Interesting ... dammit, now I have to go gatherings mats again to try it ...

Ahh it will be alright. It still works with efficient as well. I run a chieftain with efficient thermals and it keeps it cool enough. Just if you have a ship that runs really really hot then yeah you might want to make a new beam mod but for your current build if it's working for you then you dont have to waste time and mats if you don't need too.

I run lightweight beams on my Courier, but for most ships that aren't so mass limited I strongly prefer efficient.

Depending on the ship, i quite often find long range with thermal vent quite attractive. Yes, it doesn't increase damage, but it more than compensates for that when shooting at longer distances. Which can be anywhere between almost worthless and the best there is, depending on your ship and what you are shooting at.

Those two (efficient and long-range) are usually the ones to go, but you need a gooood distributor for long range. Good (or even fantastic) experimentals - if you fly in PG - are concordant and regeneration for beams. You'll get new friends in Haz Res quite fast 😅

You'd be suprised at what you can get away with long range on.. I use them on a PvP Viper with not a massive amount of prolems. (They are my preffered cooling method and given how tiny and fast the ship is you can get decent enough ToT to make the differnce to thier poxy DPS)

I use G3 long range with thermal vent on the smalls of my viper. Even G1 would be fine since all I really want is to get rid of the falloff.
The packhounds on the mediums are the actual damage-dealers.

Beams? For me there’s only one engineering approach for those: Efficient (I can only get to G3 but it’s enough) decreases power requirements, distributor draw, Thermal load and INCREASES damage. Then add the Thermal Vent experimental and you’ll be firing ‘em all day.

The Dweller is your man. Although it sounds like you’re in Colonia?
It's funny even without the minor damage increase on the efficient upgrade, the fact that it can make your beam lasers last that much longer (in some ships, fire indefinitely) just makes them worthwhile.

I use G3 long range with thermal vent on the smalls of my viper. Even G1 would be fine since all I really want is to get rid of the falloff.
The packhounds on the mediums are the actual damage-dealers.
For a fast ship like the Viper, range shouldn't be an issue since you should be able to close the gap easily in my opinion so the extra range fall-off you get is somewhat useless in my opinion.

there is the theory that thermal vent dissipates heat proportionally to the heat of the weapon, so overcharged would be (heat wise) the best modification to go with it, rather than efficient. i still have to test this.

anyway, efficiency is not convenience. i run thermal vent with lightweight (because reasons) and it just rocks in combination with other hot weapons, or just to run cool when you want.
I was recently instanced with a guy in an AX zone that claimed this very thing. His ship was running very cool, but it would be nice to have some Kornelius on this.

My PVE CZ/REZ/CNB Vette runs Efficient G5, Thermal Vent on the Beams.. only get distributor rundown issues when 1-2 pips in weapons.
thermal vent helps when popping a heatsink to bring the temps back down.
Huge beams are fixed to combat chaff spamming
EZ mode grinding...

Top Bottom