Ships Someone critique my Diamondback Explorer?

Change sensors and life support to 3D.
FSD engineering needs mass manager experimental.

There are other things, but it really depends on how you personally are going to fly it.

This is my DBX, it's a taxi, short range Explorer and Thargoid Scout wacker .
https://s.orbis.zone/2qp6
It's a reasonable jump range BUT, it's heavily engineered.

You seem to be going in the right direction. (y)

Thanks, I gained about 2LY by swapping those out.
I'm planning on getting my name on some systems with this. Maybe I'll discover new life forms. Who knows /shrug

Thanks!

How much engineering you can do? My DBX goes 73LY although I only use it for a mat gatherer. As an explorer that C4 fuel scoop totally kills it, for me.

A lot depends on how you want/like to explore. If your goal is to visit as many systems as possible then jump range is pretty immaterial, I've made Elite in exploration 9 times now using a Sidewinder or an Eagle or a Hauler amonst others. If, however, you want to get to somewhere quicker or want to get to sparsely populated bits of the galaxy then range is king hence why the Anaconda is THE ship for the big jumps.

What I would do (and have done) is, before you go exploring for real, go and unlock the Guardian FSD Booster. That alone adds 9.3LY to your total jump range as a G4 mod.

Next ditch the Shield Gen for a 3D.

Those two changes alone will give you a 63LY jump range for your build.

f you can engineer most things and very often you only need G1 engineering to get the secondary of 'Stripped Down', then you can tweak the DBX to quite easily get 66LY range.

I'd also lose the C4 Power Plant and go with a 3A and go with 4D thrusters. When you're out beyond the bubble you should be turning off non-necessary equipment such as the AFMU, Hangar and Heat Sink.

Here's a 66LY min/71LY max DBX with very little engineering from your original build. It does rely on the Guardian FSD Booster though which you may not want to bother with (it's pretty easy to get). You could also downsize the fuel tank to a 16t to squeeze an extra 3LY out of the build giving a total of 69LY.

https://s.orbis.zone/3m3q

If you change your FSD secondary to 'Mass Manager' and swap out the 32t fuel tank for a 16t then you've got a 70LY jump range:

https://s.orbis.zone/3m3_

If you can G1 your 3D shield Gen with the 'Enhanced Low Power' mod + 'Stripped Down' secondary you can squeeze the DBX to 71LY.

Despite having a 73LY DBX (8t fuel tank) and a 68LY Asp X, my exploration ship of choice is now the Mamba. It only has a 41LY jump range but is the only ship I've had that can spool up the FSD whilst scooping fuel and the temps decrease with the countdown! For ultra fast travel it's unreal.

Good luck and happy exploring!

Last edited:
This one is easy, sell the DBE and by an ASP. Fuel scooping with a size 4 is like grinding for Mats 'BORINGLY SLOW'

More internals, more options!

This sticks pretty close to your original build while improving on it:

Use the last C3 compartment for what ever you fancy. I personally would slap in 2D heavy duty hull reinforcement so you do not die to first contact with ground/meteor, but I am in such a minority on that opinion so I will not push it to the build itself :-D

This sticks pretty close to your original build while improving on it:

Use the last C3 compartment for what ever you fancy. I personally would slap in 2D heavy duty hull reinforcement so you do not die to first contact with ground/meteor, but I am in such a minority on that opinion so I will not push it to the build itself :-D

I thought collision damage with planets does a percentage rather than absolute damage to hull?

Top Bottom