Notice ARX FAQ

That's an insult so creative that I can't even be mad. But still, no math on the user's side helps if for example an item costs 400 points but the smallest package you can buy contains 500, you'll have 100 left over.

that's pretty much standard procedure in the microtransaction realm, so i would expect that. being able to earn currency just by logging in too, that's very much the same principle as daily quests, fidelity rewards, etc. if that's a scam then most f2p games out there are a scam too. it just exploits known human psychology and behavior, but legally.

the good side of this is that you can ignore all this and just play, and eventually you'll have enough for some skin you might like, for free, without feeding the beast and feeling bad about it.

I'm just going to say it because I've already read it in a number of different discord and slack forums: the fear is that this is the top of a slippery slope. At the bottom of this slope is a pay-to-win mechanic. So far Frontier has been very straightforward in terms of selling cosmetics and accessories to players. If I want a new paintjob or bobblehead or ship kit then I pay the displayed price. It's honest. It's understandable.
Now there is ARX....
So if it's a means to earn these things through in-game activities that's great. If it turns into pay to win and loot boxes, however, Frontier will so completely offend it's player base that a large number may simply stop playing.
Which is why they won't do it. There's never been any indication of pay to win coming, and this appears to be straightforwardly a way to earn cosmetics in game as people have requested for a long time, and a way to unify the way the different platforms purchase cosmetics. If it moves away from purely cosmetics, then we can worry.

I wonder if Frontier will add bonus arx for people who own more than one Frontier game. eg buy Planet Zoo and get 500 Arxs
Would make a nice way of encouraging brand loyalty.

Arx could also be used in the forums. A Forum post of the month could earn a person a certain number of Arx, similarly they could be given as prizes. For example Lavecon attendees could be given 200 Arxs each.

On another side could disruptive in game behaviour be discouraged by earning negative Arx. So say a player who ganks in the starter system would not only be thrown out of said starter systems but would have say -500 Arx placed on their account. Essentially getting fined.

This all reminds me eerily of that social score system in China...

Q: It is stated that Arx is earned by "playing the game" (and that there will be a weekly limit for Arx being earned). Looking at the PvP playstyle, it has always been excluded from many gameplay mechanics such as BGS influence, PowerPlay, Engineers and much more. Namely destroying player ships is handled completely different from destroying NPC ships (Bounty Hunting PvE). For example, destroyed player ships don't drop materials and 30 merits.

Will the playstyle PvP be excluded as well from earning Arx in the september update?

Just a wild stab but I'd guess you won't be able to just go out and grind them.
They'll be issued for specific things such as participating in a CG or, erm.... other stuff.

Gotta say, whenever a game gets a 2nd currency system that's tied to real money, it's usually a bad thing.
Hope that doesn't happen here.
I also hope that FDev doesn't use this as an excuse to increase the cost of store items.

How do I get Arx?
players are also able to purchase packages of Arx through the platforms' respective stores (Frontier Store, Steam, PlayStation Store and Xbox Marketplace).

So it seems we are getting pre-pay packages for set amounts. This is a backstep for PC players. Right now i can get what i want for the price displayed, with this new system i will no doubt have to pay more than i need do now.

So it seems we are getting pre-pay packages for set amounts. This is a backstep for PC players. Right now i can get what i want for the price displayed, with this new system i will no doubt have to pay more than i need do now.

Yea, but if they want, they can make you feel like you're winning. As in spending less money per unit if buying bigger packages...

The real fun is going to happen in future when the livery sales happen - there will be lots more threads saying 'I grinded lots of Arx over the last 10 months, but spent them last week - how can u have a sale fdev - i iz ragequitter! :( '.

And ... have we heard from the lepers yet? now other people can get stuff for free by playing the game ... unacceptable!

Yea, but if they want, they can make you feel like you're winning. As in spending less money per unit if buying bigger packages...

Bulk purchasing benefits would make this process even worse. If i just wanna spend £3, but im being forced to spend $5, but if i spend £100 i make a 20% saving.

God i hope not.

Bulk purchasing benefits would make this process even worse. If i just wanna spend £3, but im being forced to spend $5, but if i spend £100 i make a 20% saving.

God i hope not.
Let's see what they do. Plenty of pitchforks available in the store if we need 'em later.

Hang on ... they're cheaper by the 100 ....

The really good threads will be those complaining that the gametime/arxe ratio is crap.

I imagine a few by now imagine they'll be able to buy the entire stores contents just by gameplay alone.
Do we want to run a book on how long until the first 'Why can't I but the CM4 with my Arxes?' thread. I give it .... 10 minutes ;)

Top Bottom