ummm guys...

the door that is also the key

i'm sure this has to have been pointed out a million times already, but this is the first i've noticed... it sure is pretty convincing

Last edited:
Just to throw some poopoo at the wall...

Has anyone tried to animate the Raxxla logo so that it spins? Perhaps if it spins with the center dot remaining in the center, it begins to show a different image. I know it sounds dumb but it would tie in with the spiraling stars and well why not try it at THIS point. Lol
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHLxdxVl6KY

Also The Bank of Zaonce unveiled a curious looking logo recently.

ummm guys...

i'm sure this has to have been pointed out a million times already, but this is the first i've noticed... it sure is pretty convincing

Can you please tell us what that is (for those of us not familiar with it) - looks like some sort of guardian tech?

Here you go. I'm not sure this illuminates anything new, but it looks cool.

When I look at this I see the central three arcs and the outermost blocks rotating left but the dashed line seems to be rotating in the other direction and each dash seems to have a 'hat'. Interesting visual effect, though I'm not sure what to make of it.

The Mayflower 97 would be about 725 LY from Sol in 3305, depending on whether or not it slowed down to send people to Tau Ceti. Draw a line from Sol through Tau Ceti and extend it until it's 725 LY long and where does it wind up?

Draw a line from Sol through Tau Ceti and extend it until it's 725 LY long and where does it wind up?

At first I tried the math approach, bookmarked the result and took a bearing from Sol through Tau Ceti.
The bookmarked system, although ~725LY away, was not on the Sol-TC line.
I never was that good at maths and decided to try a different approach - to solve the problem with Blender.
Created the line, elongated it to 725ly and checked the coordinates.
The result left me confuzzled... Blender confirmed the coordinates from my math approach!?
After a short moment of wondering whether I just have a 'kink in my optics', I decided to check coordinates again.
Turned out that they were wrong... instead of x: -0,375 I used -3,75 for Tau Ceti :D .
Just copy & pasted them from EDSM and had to correct the decimal sign, which I obviously did sloppy, omg.

So lets hope the coordinates are correct now:

-22,77 / -692,76 / -212,57

Nearby systems are:

Synuefe FQ-J B39-0
HIP 8178

I will take a look around as I need some more donation credits anyhow

Last edited:
If Tau Ceti is indeed the starting point for searching for Raxxla then perhaps we should be looking for the Mayflower '97. Easily the most famous of all the Generation Ships in Elite lore and one which, as far as I am aware, has not been discovered in Elite Dangerous. The ship reached Tau Ceti ... and then just "kept going" never to heard from again ... at least until the 3250's. From the journals of Frontier: First Encounters:
COLONY SHIP DETECTED
S.L.A.M

Astronomers using Excessively Long Baseline Interferometry (ELBI) to conduct a survey of distant radio sources believe that they may have detected the "Mayflower 97" slower-than-light colony ship, which was launched from orbit around Luna in 2097.

ELBI remains a somewhat inexact science, because receiving stations are placed so far apart that considerations of simultaneity become an issue in interpreting the results, but the patterns received by the Distant Radio Survey group do indeed appear to show radio emissions characteristic of a Bussard ramjet moving with a relativistic velocity of almost 60% of the speed of light. The "Mayflower 97" carried nearly a thousand passengers and crew, plus domestic animals and extensive gene banks to aid in the colonisation of Earth-like worlds which were presumed to exist around nearby stars.

Archaeological evidence suggests that it did indeed successfully reach its first port of call at Tau Ceti, but the fate of both ship and crew thereafter was unknown until now.

The ship's tremendous speed in real space makes it Impractical to attempt a rendezvous, so the "Mayflower" will presumably be left to continue on its way, bearing with it any descendants of its original complement.
When I look at this I see the central three arcs and the outermost blocks rotating left but the dashed line seems to be rotating in the other direction and each dash seems to have a 'hat'. Interesting visual effect, though I'm not sure what to make of it.

The Mayflower 97 would be about 725 LY from Sol in 3305, depending on whether or not it slowed down to send people to Tau Ceti. Draw a line from Sol through Tau Ceti and extend it until it's 725 LY long and where does it wind up?
Assuming the direction of travel is still along the straight line Sol - Tau Ceti, and there's been no change in the realtive positions of Sol and Tau Ceti, then the unit vector for the direction is:

-0.031414797, -0.955533398, -0.293204769

Multiply each by the total distance travelled from Sol to get the co-ordinates.

I think we're getting into some considerable assumptions about the distance though, so a range would need to be calculated.

Edit - I'll do the calculations of bounds in a bit, just posting the basic bits now so other can calculate the co-ords based on their own travel distance estimates.

Edit 2 - Co-ordinates calculated by @ironshirt are correct for 725 from Sol, using the unit vector based on the stated assumptions.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone's wondering what this unit vector stuff is...

In the galactic co-ordinate system, things are located using x,y,z which are all in light years. These are all relative to the location of Sol which is set as 0,0,0.

Tau Ceti's location is -0.375 / -11.40625 / -3.5

As Sol is 0,0,0 Tau Ceti's location also defines it's direction from Sol as a vector. However, the vector at that point is in units of the distance from Sol to Tau Ceti.

What we want to do is convert that into the vector that uses our base unit, in this case light years.

We want to do this, because once we've got it in base unit, we can multiply by distance to get the co-ordinates.

As the vector will be in terms of the base unit, it's a unit vector.

Calculating it is pretty trivial. We just work out the distance from Sol to Tau Ceti using Pythagoras (so square the co-ordinates, sum them and then take the square root.) Once we have the distance (11.93705 ly), we divide Tau Ceti's location co-ordinates by that amount and it gives us the unit vector:

What that represents is the co-ordinates of a point 1 ly from Sol in the direction of Tau Ceti.

The co-ordinates for a point of a given distance along the line can then be calculated by multiplying the unit vector by the distance.

Last edited:
Raxxla Quest progress report

It has been argued in this thread that, since Heart & Soul nebulae were an important part of the Formidine Rift mystery they could not also be related to the Raxxla mystery, since that would put the two biggest mysteries of the game in the same place & surely FD wouldn’t do that? That argument makes a lot of sense, however I wondered if such overlap might actually be part of the obfuscation surrounding Raxxla?

When I read the Dark Wheel toast in the Codex it’s relation to the Heart Nebula shouted out to me. In the last sentence parent’s grief (i.e. death of a child), lover’s woe, and vagabond yearning all strongly suggested “Broken Heart”. For the second line NGC 7822 is, according to EDSM, known as “The Siren of the Spinward Stars”, I think a fairly recent naming, which also seems quite suggestive, and this nebula is a major milestone enroute to the Heart Neb. For the first line Cassiopeia was the mother of Andromeda, and Zeta Cass (aka Fulu) is traditionally shown (http://www.ianridpath.com/startales/cassiopeia.htm) on her forehead (brow) and is on the direct route from the bubble to NGC 7822.

Googling Heart Nebula: Located in Cassiopeia. The nebula's intense red output and its configuration are driven by the radiation emanating from a small open cluster of stars known as Melotte 15 (aka IC 1805 cluster) which contains a small number of very young, blue, hot supergiant stars, as well as many faint stars. Some call Mel 15 the “Broken Heart Nebula” (even though it’s a cluster). Fierce stellar winds from this cluster have blown the enormous bubble within the parent ionised hydrogen nebula.

Googling around the remaining Codex text came up with some more possible hints: e.g. Art & Cora Tornqvist - Art could mean “Heart”; Princess Cora Mills, aka the Queen of Hearts, is a character on ABC's Once Upon a Time and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland; there is a “Cora’s Heart” novel; there is a medical CORA app- CARDIAC OUTCOMES RISK ASSESSMENT; there is a “Tremble My Heart” album by Rebecka Törnqvist. In the mention of “Astrophel and the Spiralling Stars” Astrophel means "star lover" (love=heart) & Stella has broken his heart. Fernweh -can be translated as longing for far-off places; so Raxxla is a long journey, & is maybe another reference to feelings/ heart. There is a “Hearts/Fernweh” album by George FitzGerald. All suggestive of Heart Neb, but not conclusive; needs to be checked out....

So, my hypothesis was that the DW toast is a set of travel instructions:
1) go to Zeta Cassiopeia, 590 ly from Sol
2) go to NGC 7822, 2800 ly from Sol
3) go to Melotte 15 cluster (Broken Heart Neb)
4) search, and hopefully Raxxla (& maybe TDW station too) will be revealed...presumably because the game engine has access to the travel history...

Jorki is still enjoying R&R at Jacques station after DW2, so on 8th May 3305 young clone Tyko Rasalas set off to explore this hypothesis, in a 45ly Krait 2 armed & armoured because I was hoping to find TDW station enroute & didn’t think they’d initially be friendly. In my searching I concentrated on systems with double O/A/B stars or F/G/K stars, based on the images from the start screens (both seem to show twin star systems: Source: https://imgur.com/wvmohTq
, Source: https://imgur.com/Q9udCSj
) which always seemed to me to be potential clues (and verse 22 of Astrophil says “Progressing then from fair Twinnes golden place”), though I also visited enroute many single star systems. Visited just about all the O, A & B types in NGC7822 then went to search the centre of the Heart Neb.
Mel15 should be at centre of Heart Neb, but in ED is actually some distance back towards NGC 7822. This seems very odd, how can it blow the bubble in the Heart Neb this far out?. Is this a bug, or a factor of the Stellar Forge representation of the Heart nebulosity, or is it intentional by FD? So, trudged back to IC1805 Cluster & did a search-couple of weeks with nothing to show apart from the curious fact that system 2MASS J02325898+6122234 appears twice in the galmap in Mel15 Cluster; bug report raised -there are two systems with the same name, separated by 50.98 ly, but they have different constituent system bodies. So, back once more to Heart Neb to sell data at the asteroid research station. Partial success- Tyko promoted to Elite Explorer and got the Shinrarta Dezhra permit, so can eventually sell DW a load of Raxxla-related exploration data! Did get 100MCr for one page, wish I'd kept a record of what I sold!

Mused over this hiccup for a few days over many lavian brandies and quite a few dark chocolate Hobnobs.... Did a further Google on “Broken Heart” & found NGC 2281 the Broken Heart Cluster in Auriga, 1,800ly from Sol and located back in the opposite direction high above Barnard’s Loop. Ah this makes sense thought I, this is a significant part of the obfuscation! So another trek (from Heart Neb back via NGC7822 to get some system data from around there, just in case it’s necessary to open Raxxla), and searching along the way in further attempt to find TDW station.

Eventually got to NGC 2281 and realised that area of the galmap has been named by FD the “Sanguineous Rim”; i.e. “containing or having the appearance of blood”, presumably named because of the appearance of Barnard’s Loop, and possibly also because this is where the bloodthirsty Thargoids seem to be coming from. All I could think of was “nice view, and if it’s here it really is obfuscated in the outer rim!” ( Source: https://imgur.com/Uezg7ga
)

So, I spent a week zigzagging around NGC2281. Eventually got to NGC 2281 Sector IC-V d2-1 where the star had alerady been visited (by Cmdr OVERLOADRJ45) but no bodies scanned (fits in with the long-standing but unsourced “it’s been honked” claim); the system was not recognised in EDSM. So did an FSS scan of all bodies, then mapped the terraformables and ELW. Then short jump on to NGC 2281 Sector PT-R c4-0; however, hyperspace transition graphics go odd, screen freezes & PC crashes. Totally locked up, couldn't even run Task Manager, had to press restart button. Odd thinks I, reminiscent of PC crashing when the Formidine Rift bases were supposed to load but didn’t...Recovered last 5 minutes video from NVIDIA ShadowPlay ( Source: https://imgur.com/pqxgX35
); Interesting-looks like Omphalos Rift opening up maybe? Carried on surveying remaining systems, apart from 13 that I couldn’t reach in this ship, nothing found. Went back to NGC 2281 Sector IC-V d2-1, mapped all remaining bodies, then jumped once again to same destination-no difference from usual hyperspace jump tunnel! Repeated several times with no difference from normal. Whatever happened isn’t reoccurring. But the PC hasn’t crashed either, nor shown any other sign of problems.

Was this originally just a random PC crash? Doesn’t feel like it; did I find Raxxla? I don’t know, which is really frustrating!!!!
No point in raising normal bug report for this since few in FD know Raxxla details, so PM’d DBOBE Thursday evening to ask if I’d found a bugged Raxxla or just had a random PC failure; no response as yet; not really holding my breath. It was Lavecon this weekend ... but not seen many signs of him responding to PMs on the forum. Oddly the PM mechanism wouldn't let me copy it to Michael Brookes.

Well, it was certainly “a journey I had to travel for myself”! ( Source: https://imgur.com/S9OVmxm
, Source: https://imgur.com/hjetW1p
). To date on this quest: 1,500 jumps; 15,365 scans; 53,261 ly travelled, total scan value 323MCr. Now sitting high above Barnard’s Loop, 1600ly to Shinrarta, wondering what to do. I feel as though I’ve found Raxxla but it’s bugged. A hyperspace jump cutscene clip would fit with “Place that’s not a Place”, but can’t see how the “Door that’s also the key” fits. I have previously said the fun is in the hunt not in the finding, but as a payoff for the Quest this certainly seems quite underwhelming at the moment! I never expected a gateway to another galaxy/universe (but a boosted long distance jump back to Shinrarta would be nice!)- I’ve long argued that’s part of the myth, FD have said there’s only one galaxy implemented in ED. Perhaps “it” is a time travel gate that I successfully passed through & if I travel to Shinrarta now I’ll find no Jameson Orbital and a planet inhabited by dinosaurs? Or a bubble inhabited by Guardian hunting parties? :eek:

Perhaps I should have found TDW station enroute & since I hadn’t got that in my travel history “it” was only partially triggered? that could make sense if that station is named something like “Raxxla Gateway” since that would fulfil the “door-key” clue. If “it” had properly materialised would it be something shaped like the Codex image, or is that the DW station entrance/homing lights?

If my hypothesis is correct, I suspect TDW station is located somewhere around NGC 7822, or perhaps near Zeta Cass, but at the moment I have absolutely no desire to go check!

edit: sorry, having problems with the image links above!

frustrated of Mu Leonis! 😢

Edit: forgot to say I did all this in Solo mode. Fits with “personal journey”, but maybe someone should try repeating in Open & PG.

Last edited:

It has been argued in this thread that, since Heart & Soul nebulae were an important part of the Formidine Rift mystery they could not also be related to the Raxxla mystery, since that would put the two biggest mysteries of the game in the same place & surely FD wouldn’t do that? That argument makes a lot of sense, however I wondered if such overlap might actually be part of the obfuscation surrounding Raxxla?

When I read the Dark Wheel toast in the Codex it’s relation to the Heart Nebula shouted out to me. In the last sentence parent’s grief (i.e. death of a child), lover’s woe, and vagabond yearning all strongly suggested “Broken Heart”. For the second line NGC 7822 is, according to EDSM, known as “The Siren of the Spinward Stars”, I think a fairly recent naming, which also seems quite suggestive, and this nebula is a major milestone enroute to the Heart Neb. For the first line Cassiopeia was the mother of Andromeda, and Zeta Cass (aka Fulu) is traditionally shown (http://www.ianridpath.com/startales/cassiopeia.htm) on her forehead (brow) and is on the direct route from the bubble to NGC 7822.

Googling Heart Nebula: Located in Cassiopeia. The nebula's intense red output and its configuration are driven by the radiation emanating from a small open cluster of stars known as Melotte 15 (aka IC 1805 cluster) which contains a small number of very young, blue, hot supergiant stars, as well as many faint stars. Some call Mel 15 the “Broken Heart Nebula” (even though it’s a cluster). Fierce stellar winds from this cluster have blown the enormous bubble within the parent ionised hydrogen nebula.

Googling around the remaining Codex text came up with some more possible hints: e.g. Art & Cora Tornqvist - Art could mean “Heart”; Princess Cora Mills, aka the Queen of Hearts, is a character on ABC's Once Upon a Time and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland; there is a “Cora’s Heart” novel; there is a medical CORA app- CARDIAC OUTCOMES RISK ASSESSMENT; there is a “Tremble My Heart” album by Rebecka Törnqvist. In the mention of “Astrophel and the Spiralling Stars” Astrophel means "star lover" (love=heart) & Stella has broken his heart. Fernweh -can be translated as longing for far-off places; so Raxxla is a long journey, & is maybe another reference to feelings/ heart. There is a “Hearts/Fernweh” album by George FitzGerald. All suggestive of Heart Neb, but not conclusive; needs to be checked out....

4) search, and hopefully Raxxla (& maybe TDW station too) will be revealed...presumably because the game engine has access to the travel history...

Jorki is still enjoying R&R at Jacques station after DW2, so on 8th May 3305 young clone Tyko Rasalas set off to explore this hypothesis, in a 45ly Krait 2 armed & armoured because I was hoping to find TDW station enroute & didn’t think they’d initially be friendly. In my searching I concentrated on systems with double O/A/B stars or F/G/K stars, based on the images from the start screens (both seem to show twin star systems: Source: https://imgur.com/wvmohTq
) which always seemed to me to be potential clues (and verse 22 of Astrophil says “Progressing then from fair Twinnes golden place”), though I also visited enroute many single star systems. Visited just about all the O, A & B types in NGC7822 then went to search the centre of the Heart Neb.
Mel15 should be at centre of Heart Neb, but in ED is actually some distance back towards NGC 7822. This seems very odd, how can it blow the bubble in the Heart Neb this far out?. Is this a bug, or a factor of the Stellar Forge representation of the Heart nebulosity, or is it intentional by FD? So, trudged back to IC1805 Cluster & did a search-couple of weeks with nothing to show apart from the curious fact that system 2MASS J02325898+6122234 appears twice in the galmap in Mel15 Cluster; bug report raised -there are two systems with the same name, separated by 50.98 ly, but they have different constituent system bodies. So, back once more to Heart Neb to sell data at the asteroid research station. Partial success- Tyko promoted to Elite Explorer and got the Shinrarta Dezhra permit, so can eventually sell DW a load of Raxxla-related exploration data! Did get 100MCr for one page, wish I'd kept a record of what I sold!

Mused over this hiccup for a few days over many lavian brandies and quite a few dark chocolate Hobnobs.... Did a further Google on “Broken Heart” & found NGC 2281 the Broken Heart Cluster in Auriga, 1,800ly from Sol and located back in the opposite direction high above Barnard’s Loop. Ah this makes sense thought I, this is a significant part of the obfuscation! So another trek (from Heart Neb back via NGC7822 to get some system data from around there, just in case it’s necessary to open Raxxla), and searching along the way in further attempt to find TDW station.

Eventually got to NGC 2281 and realised that area of the galmap has been named by FD the “Sanguineous Rim”; i.e. “containing or having the appearance of blood”, presumably named because of the appearance of Barnard’s Loop, and possibly also because this is where the bloodthirsty Thargoids seem to be coming from. All I could think of was “nice view, and if it’s here it really is obfuscated in the outer rim!” ( Source: https://imgur.com/Uezg7ga
)

So, I spent a week zigzagging around NGC2281. Eventually got to NGC 2281 Sector IC-V d2-1 where the star had alerady been visited (by Cmdr OVERLOADRJ45) but no bodies scanned (fits in with the long-standing but unsourced “it’s been honked” claim); the system was not recognised in EDSM. So did an FSS scan of all bodies, then mapped the terraformables and ELW. Then short jump on to NGC 2281 Sector PT-R c4-0; however, hyperspace transition graphics go odd, screen freezes & PC crashes. Totally locked up, couldn't even run Task Manager, had to press restart button. Odd thinks I, reminiscent of PC crashing when the Formidine Rift bases were supposed to load but didn’t...Recovered last 5 minutes video from NVIDIA ShadowPlay ( Source: https://imgur.com/pqxgX35
); Interesting-looks like Omphalos Rift opening up maybe? Carried on surveying remaining systems, apart from 13 that I couldn’t reach in this ship, nothing found. Went back to NGC 2281 Sector IC-V d2-1, mapped all remaining bodies, then jumped once again to same destination-no difference from usual hyperspace jump tunnel! Repeated several times with no difference from normal. Whatever happened isn’t reoccurring. But the PC hasn’t crashed either, nor shown any other sign of problems.

Was this originally just a random PC crash? Doesn’t feel like it; did I find Raxxla? I don’t know, which is really frustrating!!!!
No point in raising normal bug report for this since few in FD know Raxxla details, so PM’d DBOBE Thursday evening to ask if I’d found a bugged Raxxla or just had a random PC failure; no response as yet; not really holding my breath. It was Lavecon this weekend ... but not seen many signs of him responding to PMs on the forum. Oddly the PM mechanism wouldn't let me copy it to Michael Brookes.

Well, it was certainly “a journey I had to travel for myself”! ( Source: https://imgur.com/S9OVmxm
). To date on this quest: 1,500 jumps; 15,365 scans; 53,261 ly travelled, total scan value 323MCr. Now sitting high above Barnard’s Loop, 1600ly to Shinrarta, wondering what to do. I feel as though I’ve found Raxxla but it’s bugged. A hyperspace jump cutscene clip would fit with “Place that’s not a Place”, but can’t see how the “Door that’s also the key” fits. I have previously said the fun is in the hunt not in the finding, but as a payoff for the Quest this certainly seems quite underwhelming at the moment! I never expected a gateway to another galaxy/universe (but a boosted long distance jump back to Shinrarta would be nice!)- I’ve long argued that’s part of the myth, FD have said there’s only one galaxy implemented in ED. Perhaps “it” is a time travel gate that I successfully passed through & if I travel to Shinrarta now I’ll find no Jameson Orbital and a planet inhabited by dinosaurs? Or a bubble inhabited by Guardian hunting parties? :eek:

Perhaps I should have found TDW station enroute & since I hadn’t got that in my travel history “it” was only partially triggered? that could make sense if that station is named something like “Raxxla Gateway” since that would fulfil the “door-key” clue. If “it” had properly materialised would it be something shaped like the Codex image, or is that the DW station entrance/homing lights?

If my hypothesis is correct, I suspect TDW station is located somewhere around NGC 7822, or perhaps near Zeta Cass, but at the moment I have absolutely no desire to go check!

The Exodus Base crashes were repeatable.
A one-off crash that isn't repeatable is probably just a one-off crash.
Sorry.

Spiralling stars fits quite nicely with a BH feeding,

)

I'll get to NGC 2281 Sector PT-R c4-0 asap to try and repro the CTD.

T
Just in case anyone's wondering what this unit vector stuff is...

In the galactic co-ordinate system, things are located using x,y,z which are all in light years. These are all relative to the location of Sol which is set as 0,0,0.

Tau Ceti's location is -0.375 / -11.40625 / -3.5

As Sol is 0,0,0 Tau Ceti's location also defines it's direction from Sol as a vector. However, the vector at that point is in units of the distance from Sol to Tau Ceti.

What we want to do is convert that into the vector that uses our base unit, in this case light years.

We want to do this, because once we've got it in base unit, we can multiply by distance to get the co-ordinates.

As the vector will be in terms of the base unit, it's a unit vector.

Calculating it is pretty trivial. We just work out the distance from Sol to Tau Ceti using Pythagoras (so square the co-ordinates, sum them and then take the square root.) Once we have the distance (11.93705 ly), we divide Tau Ceti's location co-ordinates by that amount and it gives us the unit vector:

What that represents is the co-ordinates of a point 1 ly from Sol in the direction of Tau Ceti.

The co-ordinates for a point of a given distance along the line can then be calculated by multiplying the unit vector by the distance.
Thanks. My highest grade completed was eighth, you guys started speaking in tongues for a minute there

I'm in NGC 7822 right now. I'm in s171 8 to be exact. You guys know what you're talking about and looking for a lot more than me, but by all means tell me what to look for.

The never ending mission sequences that leads deeper and deeper into the mystical and mythical rabbit hole.
The story is always evolving, creating a book of sort, telling our story as we go out to search for clues that will eventually lead to our personal Raxxla.

"If it isn't a place, it is a dream. Is it your dream? Well, yes, and no. It is our dream slowly manifesting into reality." /me.

Wasn't there that system around Heart and Soul nebulae that would act jumpy and disappear in galactic map? It was long time ago but I saw it myself too back then. I suppose it was later accepted to be a bug and fixed.

)

The tower of stars or white blue thing you experienced just before jumping happens to me somewhat regularly. I've always attributed it to a performance hit of some kind. I see it on both PC and XBox.

Props for the search, though. 👍

hate to double post, but i'm curious if anyone finds these images significant. for clarity this time around, this is a top down picture of a Guardian Beacon. again, i have a strong feeling this has already been noticed, so i am curious if this end has been followed in the past. i dont have any explanations or theories yet, but i'd like to know if others think this is a good tree to bark up.

ummm guys...

Top Bottom