Notice ARX FAQ

I can see this working for squadrons also, members collecting ARX and transferring them to a central squadron ARX pot to purchase paint jobs and stuff for the new carrier.

I trademark the phrase "This is a pain the the ARX!"

Make your checks out to "One Old Duck, Elephant Butt Leather Inc."

Will it still be possible to purchase paintjobs etc. directly with money? Or do we now have to buy predefined packages of Arx in order to spend them on paintjobs, as many stores do it with currency that you can never buy in the precise amount that you need...

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I have spent plenty of money on paint jobs, but I have done so because I can see how much they cost in real world currency and I can spend exactly what I want. Having to instead buy packs of points will seriously put me off buying the extras.

If my gameplay consists of long in-the-black journeys, i wont get any Arxes without changing how i play
If i only do bulk trading, no missions involved, i wont get any Arxes without changing how i play
If I only do Powerplay, i wont get any Arxes without changing how i play

And what exactly are you basing these assertions on, some secret understanding of what 'active and engaging with the game' means in the context of Arx accumulation?

What you earn Arx by...
Scanning a system with FSS, mapping a planetary body - that satisfies the criteria of active and engaging with the game
Selling goods at a market/black market - also active and engaging with the game
Accumulating PP merits by delivering tat or destroying ships - also active and engaging with the game

Do you know what else satisfies that criteria... participating in CGs, claming combat merits, claiming bounties, salvaging & handing in escaoe pods, completing missions, engineering modules, unlocking guardian/broker tech, killing Thargoids... and the list goes on. So, what secret knowledge do you have that suggests Arx accumulation will be limited to specific playstyles/aftivities?

How will Arx be given, i.e. what gameplay do you have to engage with to get it?

Some parts of ED like Powerplay couple highly repetitive elements (which I assume Arx will hook into) with actions that could harm that feature if done irresponsibly.

Example:

In Powerplay the closest control system is often fortified to 1000% (look at LYR as an example) because thats the easiest place to dump merits. Currently this is not that bad (it is, but not 5C levels of bad).

Now, Arx will be mined like crazy by players. They will find the activities that reward the most and keep on doing them regardless of outcome. Normally in game this is not an issue, but with Powerplay this could trigger a whole wave of random activity which is not co-ordinated, in short ruining the feature. You will have players being rewarded for being irresponsible.

Also, 5C and botting will be able to harvest Arx too, will there be any checks or is any activity going to generate it? I know from your (FDs) perspective they are the same, but from us (players) there is a big difference. In the worst case Arx will incentivize more random actions if the rewards are there.

None of this is going to be an issue. I'm willing to wager on the following:
1. There will be as many ways to earn Arx as there are different activities ingame. So there won't be a PP rush.
2. There will be a weekly cap on how many Arx a player can earn. At a balanced level that does not give away free paintjobs weekly, but provides a reasonable discount/enticement; and a level that wouldn't require a regular player to engage a bot to max out the weekly cap.

Last edited:
And what exactly are you basing these assertions on...

I was saying that they cant base the free Arx on certain parts of the gameplay (gc or missions or whatever)
As far as i'm concerned logging into the game and jumping to the next star should be enough to earn the (weekly?monthly?) Arxes

I was saying that they cant base the free Arx on certain parts of the gameplay (gc or missions or whatever)
As far as i'm concerned logging into the game and jumping to the next star should be enough to earn the (weekly?monthly?) Arxes

I doubt it will be that easy. For hypothetical arguements sake... currently, detailing costs 100 FP, paintjobs 200 FP, ship kits 600 FP. There's no reason to expect any of that to change - all they're doing is adding PCs to an existing purchasing system that has been in place for years, and introducing ingame accumulation.

Assuming there is a weekly cap (no cap would be absurd) at a reasonable level of say 25-50, I would expect individual actions (scanning/mapping, mission completion, merit accumulation, bounty claim, etc.) to be the triggers that accumulate Arx points ( 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1...) in a way that allows reaching the weekly cap somewhere between instant/easy and a bot/grind.

Assuming there is a weekly cap (no cap would be absurd) at a reasonable level of say 25-50, I would expect individual actions (scanning/mapping, mission completion, merit accumulation, bounty claim, etc.) to be the triggers that accumulate Arx points ( 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1...) in a way that allows reaching the weekly cap somewhere between instant/easy and a bot/grind.

What are you describing is a quite grindy system.
And if they implement a Grind that Arxe they might get a riot for favoring bots and the likes

Also they need to be careful not to discriminate a play style or another.
People in Colonia dont have access to CG nor to PowerPlay.
The ones in the Black have access only to jumping, scanning, mapping and landing
The combat squads most probably are hating any other gameplay that detract them from blowing up their targets
and so on.

So yea, it could be as simple as being online and doing stuff, any stuff for a certain amount of time. Being idle in the menu or in a station most probably does not count as active play

But guess we will find out at the next announcement

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Hey Commanders,

Thank you for all of your questions on the Arx FAQ.

We have answered some of the questions you have had about Arx and we will have more information about the content of the September Update in the near future, closer to its launch.

We have also answered some questions about Arx here.

Will we be able to buy Arx using credits?

You will not be able to to buy Arx using credits.

Will it still be possible to purchase paintjobs etc. directly with money?

Arx will be the only accepted currency for Game Extras/Cosmetics once the update goes live.

Will I be able to purchase exactly the amount of Arx I need to purchase the cosmetic I want, or will it come in packages, which means I have either too little or a leftover?

Arx will only be available in packs and then added to your account total. Once a purchase has been made, you can use the leftovers towards another purchase, or save them and wait for your earned Arx to top you up.

Would we be able to purchase an extra Commander slot (on PC) with Arx (I have seen other games do this)?

We do not currently have any plans to increase the number of Commander slots.

Q: It is stated that Arx is earned by "playing the game" (and that there will be a weekly limit for Arx being earned). Looking at the PvP playstyle, it has always been excluded from many gameplay mechanics such as BGS influence, PowerPlay, Engineers and much more. Namely destroying player ships is handled completely different from destroying NPC ships (Bounty Hunting PvE). For example, destroyed player ships don't drop materials and 30 merits.
Will the playstyle PvP be excluded as well from earning Arx in the september update?

We'll have more info about how to earn Arx in-game closer to the launch of the September Update. Rest assured, we'll be taking into account all the different playstyles Commanders have when making any final decisions.

if we apply newly bought skins while "out in the black", will we also have the option to refresh the wear and tear or will this be something that's still limited to station services?

When equipping a new Paint Job whilst "out in the black" your current wear and tear will remain at its current level. Refreshing the wear and tear will be limited to Station Services as normal.

I've purchased a number of bundles just so I could use single paint jobs. Will it be possible to sell paint jobs I don't want for an appropriate amount of Arx, or am I permanently stuck with them?

No, it will not be possible to sell Game Extras for Arx.

1. Can you use real currency (£'s via paypal etc) to buy things such as t-shirts, mugs & copies of the game (I/e physical items that can be delivered to your home) or will you need to buy arx's first?
2. Will you still be able to buy cosmetics (ship kits etc) with real currency (£'s etc) or are they only available via arx?

Arx will only be used for Game Extras/Cosmetics. So, all merchandise, games and DLC will continue to use real-world currency.

Arx will be bought from the relevant PC, Xbox One, and PS4 platform storefronts. Providing they're purchased for the same Commander account, your Arx will be credited to your account. With Arx, you will be able to purchase Game Extras/Cosmetics in-game or from a dedicated webstore, which we will have more information on in the future

Will ARX be linked to certain ingame activities/achievements like e.g. certain amounts of credits gained or systems scanned (either by number or accumulated credits)? This almost sounds like a silly question, cause if the answer is no all what's left is the sheer ingame time that generates ARX. I really hope not as that would be the point where I'd seriously consider to uninstall.

We will release more information on how you can obtain Arx in-game closer to the release of the September Update.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty nice.
I know there are no final details yet but sort of hoping earning ARX will be like choosing mission rewards. That being cash, less cash + rep, even less cash + rare mat and maybe no cash but x ARX.

Can I gift Arx, or Game Extras purchased with Arx, to another player?
At this time, it will not be possible to gift Arx or Game Extras (purchased with Arx) to other players.

This is a very, very bad move.
You are breaking currently existing award system in many squadrons where paint jobs are granted to winners by squad command who purchase them as gifts in the store. Why are you doing this?!

You are breaking currently existing award system in many squadrons where paint jobs are granted to winners by squad command who purchase them as gifts in the store. Why are you doing this?!

I had wondered if cosmetics would be available for Fleet carriers and if ARX would be used to make these purchases, Could member commanders of a squadron donate ARX to a 'PIMP our fleet carrier' fund available from the docking menu once you are a squad member. But i also considered how this could be abused with peer preasure being used to extort money from squadron members. I guess if gifting ARX in game between commanders is not allowed then so would gifting ARX to a Squadron carrier.

If ARX are used for cosmetic upgrades to Fleet carriers, its cost will be upon the Squadron primary to spend the money.
But what if s/he leaves the squad and gives it to the secondary are these moneys refunded?

--

i guess in answer to your original question, in game money with real world value could be abused if it could easily be transfered between players (even with cosmetic rewards). It being in game money($) somewhat dissociated from its real world value as a result might be thrown about and even extorted somehow.

Last edited:
Agree - being able to gift PJs is important. Ideally this would be easier if ARX is cross platform (at the moment I believe that's a pain).

i guess in answer to your original question, in game money with real world value could be abused if it could easily be transfered between players (even with cosmetic rewards). It being in game money($) somewhat dissociated from its real world value as a result might be thrown about and even extorted somehow.
Currently I can purchase cosmetics in the store, mark them as a gift, get the codes and then give these codes to whoever I want. They applying the code in the game and get that cosmetic, which is non-transferable afterwards. Why to disable this feature? I do not understand. I cannot purchase a gift for someone? This is just stupid.

O
Hey Commanders,

Thank you for all of your questions on the Arx FAQ.

We have answered some of the questions you have had about Arx and we will have more information about the content of the September Update in the near future, closer to its launch.

We have also answered some questions about Arx here.

You will not be able to to buy Arx using credits.

Arx will be the only accepted currency for Game Extras/Cosmetics once the update goes live.

Arx will only be available in packs and then added to your account total. Once a purchase has been made, you can use the leftovers towards another purchase, or save them and wait for your earned Arx to top you up.

We do not currently have any plans to increase the number of Commander slots.

We'll have more info about how to earn Arx in-game closer to the launch of the September Update. Rest assured, we'll be taking into account all the different playstyles Commanders have when making any final decisions.

When equipping a new Paint Job whilst "out in the black" your current wear and tear will remain at its current level. Refreshing the wear and tear will be limited to Station Services as normal.

No, it will not be possible to sell Game Extras for Arx.

Arx will only be used for Game Extras/Cosmetics. So, all merchandise, games and DLC will continue to use real-world currency.

Arx will be bought from the relevant PC, Xbox One, and PS4 platform storefronts. Providing they're purchased for the same Commander account, your Arx will be credited to your account. With Arx, you will be able to purchase Game Extras/Cosmetics in-game or from a dedicated webstore, which we will have more information on in the future

We will release more information on how you can obtain Arx in-game closer to the release of the September Update.
Thanks for the answer.

So packs it is... That's actually really putting me off. When purchasing something I want to pay the amount I have to pay for whatever I want to buy, and not have any leftover of some fantasy currency. I actually stopped buying things in other games because of this.
The only thing that can make this worse still would be packs that are exactly a little bit to little for the standard prices so people have to buy a bigger pack, have leftover that can't get them anything and then need to buy another pack and buy another paintjob or whatever.
Packs are a pretty manipulative marketing strategy already, but giving us these just-too-little-to-buy-anything packs would actually be an insult for me.

Quelle surprise - another barely thought through and even more poorly implemented "feature".

PP is just so bad it needs putting to sleep. The mess that is Engineering made me decide that the trail I would blaze would be seeing what's doable with an unengineered ship. Thargoids? Meh... so much yawn. After the FSS hoo-hah I actually was looking forward to the II update - and was sorely disappointed by the pile of cobblers that was offered up. Now this. I can't just buy cosmetic stuff.. either for me or as a gift? Really?

[edit: Also, I concur wholeheartedly with what Valorin says above.]

Every time FD make an "exciting announcement" I drift just that little further from wanting to play the game any more.

Top Bottom