Newcomer / Intro Good starting trade route

Fresh out of PF space, bored with the training wheels and looking to earn a little hard cash?

Head out in the direction of Aomum. It's half a dozon or so jumps from PF space. You can buy water (cheap) or alcohol (higher profit) at Hardwick Orbital. Sell that only 75 ls away at Ham Port and bring back Biowaste. It's around 4,000cr profit per round trip on a stock Sidewinder and takes literally a couple of minutes. Invest in more cargo space and increase your profit.

Of course, now that I've posted this in public, there may be griefers thinking of staking out the system. Nothing is truly safe but since Hardwick Orbital is 457,973 ls from the arrival point, they're not likely to bother. The supercruise is so long you nearly get to 1,000 c. There's never going to be enough traffic through the arrival point to make it worth staking out.

Because of course you never need to leave. You've got everything you need right there. You can just hang around doing round-trips until you've spec'd up your ship to something half-way good. You'll never earn enough to buy a new ship, but plenty to take its equipment up a couple of classes.

If you do find grifers, or if the market crashes, please post a warning below.

That brings back memories. Great fun! It's going to be a long way to your first billion.

In my account, I've only been playing for two hours and I've got 11 million so far using the starter Sidewinder. It's easy when you know how, but the best fun is figuring out how to do it. My target is a billion in 12 hours from start, then I can quit.

Have a go at bounty farming in a high resource extraction site using a Sidewinder. Use any cash you have to upgrade the power plant, power distributor, thrusters and shields. After one hour, you should be able to upgrade all those things to A-grade to go back and have some more fun. It's very exciting, but quite safe.

Go to LTT 15574, where you'll see the high RES on your nav panel. Tutorial here. It's a bit out of date regarding some things, but everything about the bounty farming in the High RES is still the same:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlg8qZqpvGY&t=1143s

That brings back memories. Great fun! It's going to be a long way to your first billion.

In my account, I've only been playing for two hours and I've got 11 million so far using the starter Sidewinder. It's easy when you know how, but the best fun is figuring out how to do it. My target is a billion in 12 hours from start, then I can quit.

Have a go at bounty farming in a high resource extraction site using a Sidewinder. Use any cash you have to upgrade the power plant, power distributor, thrusters and shields. After one hour, you should be able to upgrade all those things to A-grade to go back and have some more fun. It's very exciting, but quite safe.

Go to LTT 15574, where you'll see the high RES on your nav panel.

Also, there is a Station close by that will come in handy if you get thumped and lose your canopy. (Ask me how I know this ;) )

I just made a million by driving 150ly in a straight line scanning each system and selling the data at the end. Should be possible in a stock Sidewinder with fuel scoop and a whole lot easier than fighting.

Fuel scoop hint: Get your scoop up to 80% of its rated flow and then throttle all the way back. The temperature stays at 65% forever.

I just made a million by driving 150ly in a straight line scanning each system and selling the data at the end. Should be possible in a stock Sidewinder with fuel scoop and a whole lot easier than fighting.

Fuel scoop hint: Get your scoop up to 80% of its rated flow and then throttle all the way back. The temperature stays at 65% forever.
Switch on the mouse widget in your settings. It puts a dot in the middle of your screen. It's really useful for fuel scooping. You keep it outside the yellow line that appears close to the star. If you cross that line, you fall in and burn.

Do they still call it the mouse widget or does it have a new name now?

If your flight path is anywhere near the line then you're making trouble for yourself.

Here is the easy way to scoop fuel:

If your flight path is anywhere near the line then you're making trouble for yourself.

Here is the easy way to scoop fuel:
That's a bit complicated. Most of us just fly around the planet scooping as we go. As, I said, the dot will help a lot.

I actually travel around the star with it to one side or the other (depending on where my destination is) and use the secondary weapon reticules on the HUD to maintain my distance.

No need to muck about, you soon know what speed and position of the star's exclusion line to maintain for optimum scooping for each of your craft.

There is of course the variation where you dive in to maximum scooping rate and start spamming heat sinks to keep the smoke down while aiming just clear of the crash to normal space line. I don't honestly recommend this to anyone remotely sane and suspect even Buckyballers would think twice about it.

But with any method like that, you have to keep flying. For a new pilot it is a tricky maneouver, and it's not quick to do on a stock sidewinder. My method takes the quick reactions out of the equation. You have one thing to think about at a time and you don't have to hurry.

I'm on an outward branch of an explore right now. I don't expect to find an un-surveyed system so I'm traveling fast and quickly checking any high value worlds. I'm jumping 27 ly and I can only do that because I have a D class fuel scoop. It takes about a minute to scoop after each jump. Using my method I can start scooping, honk, check the system map, plot a course to an interesting planet, while the scooping is going on without me.

But with any method like that, you have to keep flying. For a new pilot it is a tricky maneouver, and it's not quick to do on a stock sidewinder. My method takes the quick reactions out of the equation. You have one thing to think about at a time and you don't have to hurry.

.......... (edited - decided I must just be in a bad mood so removed critical remark - )

You can scoop whatever way you want as long as you don't blow up and come on the fora to complain about it. When I first started I would try to fly as fast and as close to the star as I could just for the fun of it - then I started just arriving, face the star and move until the scoop started, turn, stop (well OK min speed) and go through the discovery routine - with the new exploration system I sometimes do a variation of that, entering FSS whilst the scoop completes - usually no time for that except in the DBX of course. Buckeyball racers would laugh at you throttling back - they don't even let sparks bother them - me I don't like the smoke so I stay under 70% heat.

P.S. A fuel scoop rated "D" is a recipe for brain goo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom