Credits are too easy now.

I started playing Jan 2018 and remember very much that by the time I’d found the forums and streamers, pretty much the following month, there was a very large voice from sections of the community for better pay, moaning about nerfed exploits and the need for legit ‘exploit payouts.’ I also remember at least one ‘Creator’s Roundtable’ stream on YouTube about it. It seems most got what they wanted.

Credits I’m not too bothered about, they were replaced with the engineering materials and subsequently to that the system was changed, I personally suspect, to make it harder to find those high end mats. So perhaps FDev have given in to the demands for new players to have their quick-conda and simply made engineering the new progression - with more and more npcs using engineered ships everyone, regardless of hardcore PvP players or Solo only players, finds the need to engineer more and more pressing.

Maybe new players won’t remember the ‘struggle’ to go from a Cobra to a Cutter or Viper to Vette but I’ll bet they’ll remember the struggle to get a full rack of G5 rated shield boosters on their swanky new Cutter :D

And that's the worst thing that can happen to a game that fills a tight niche well.

Not that I'm sure ED ever really lived up to it's potential. I'm still waiting for the update that will introduce a dynamic economy and/or population model.

I feel like people are able to do too many donation missions and thus have undue influence over the BGS with minimal effort.

The worst thing that could have happened would be for the game to be a financial failure & have the servers switched off. Until 3.3 I was still able to play the way I did in 1.0 (I bought the game in January 2015), able to get a sense of accomplishment from playing my own way. Now I have more money than I know what to do with.

I liked that game, but I can still set goals & work towards them, just not the same ones and this way more people can do their own thing too :)

There has always been ways to make obscene amounts of credits, the only difference now is that even a newbie with little experience can do it, and the devs promote it
Mostly true but it really wasn't even possible in the beginning even with exploits. For the first year or two after release there were exploity ways to make fast money but fat money back then was making 30 million an hour instead of 15 million an hours and required an Anaconda to do it. Now days a new player can within hours of starting the game make 200+ million an hour.
This kind of money making ability does not foster any sense of accomplishment, incorages the play to take shortcuts to "end game" ships and promotes quick boredom.

Last edited:
Honestly, credits only provide access to ships and bare modules. I would argue that Currently there is no linear progression with the ships, or at least it’s not as clear.

I think it’s good that people have more access to the gear. Having an anaconda is not an instant win button. It’s important to take into account the flattening of the ship hierarchy

Mostly true but it really wasn't even possible in the beginning even with exploits. For the first year or two after release there were exploity ways to make fast money but fat money back then was making 30 million an hour instead of 15 million an hours and required an Anaconda to do it. Now days a new player can within hours of starting the game make 200+ million an hour.

I don't know what the optimal Cr/Hr was for selling ships bought at founders (before my time) or Seeking Luxuries but anecdotally I read that people earned billions.

I haven't done any Void Opal mining yet but I watched a friend earn about 450m in the most expensive ship he could afford before he started, an AspX.

However with Mining the huge profit comes from the commodity sale price, which is easy to adjust if required.

To be honest, in comparison to the older games, I've always thought the payout rate for ED was a bit too high. But I guess things had to be made easier.

I just did a test. I went from new account to Elite billionaire in 12 hours. I had to figure it out as I went, and I made a few mistakes. I reckon now that I know how do do it and without the RNG gods conspiring against me, I might be able to do it in 9 hours. I can remember when it didn't matter whether you went for combat, trade or exploration, the quickest you could do it was about a month of playing all your spare time. After that, people discovered clever unintended ways of shortening that, but I only used normal intended gameplay. Why did they make it so easy now? It seems a bit too easy to me. Is it because new essential gameplay is coming where you need massive amount of credits to participate?
Thank God it is quick.. limited time players want to be able to get somewhere in a few hours not oh I might be able to upgrade my laser in 3 weeks. Im not sorry but rapid credit building is a good thing.

O7

Lestat

Banned
I just did a test. I went from new account to Elite billionaire in 12 hours. I had to figure it out as I went, and I made a few mistakes. I reckon now that I know how do do it and without the RNG gods conspiring against me, I might be able to do it in 9 hours. I can remember when it didn't matter whether you went for combat, trade or exploration, the quickest you could do it was about a month of playing all your spare time. After that, people discovered clever unintended ways of shortening that, but I only used normal intended gameplay. Why did they make it so easy now? It seems a bit too easy to me. Is it because new essential gameplay is coming where you need massive amount of credits to participate?
I did the same damn thing. Restarted my Account and made Elite Trader in about 10 hours.

To be honest, in comparison to the older games, I've always thought the payout rate for ED was a bit too high. But I guess things had to be made easier.

You say easier, I say less repetitive. The game hasn't really simplified since it launched. Quite the opposite actually. There are more choices than there were. The only difference is how many times you have to do "X" before you can board the next hull. That said, that hull still gets you to the rebuy screen just as easily as it did before.

That's true, but anybody can search the forum and Youtube to find out how to do it. You need hardly any skill or experience. you don't even need any engineering. This is basic beginners stuff, not like fighting Thargoids.
Well, you do need some skill or experience flying, docking, outfitting, etc. A brand new player who never played it before can't just know all the mechanics magically.

Yeah, it's easy to make money if you know what you're doing. For new players, it's a lot to learn to get to that point.

--edit

Btw, do you mind sharing a little about what you did? It's always interesting to see what other people have done to make their money. I've got most of my credits from deep space exploration.

Last edited:
It has come a long way since these levels

And this was my "Big earner" in June 2015

Personally I don't have an issue with it any more, it is a game play concession, that differs from the universe presented in the Lore, but gameplay usually wins

The Impression I always got was
We started, at least back around 1.0, with a Sidewinder ( and a single fixed pulse laser) and 100 Credits
That 100 Credits was all the money we had saved to our name until the Mysterious Benefactor had provided the Sidey

This Sidewinder was worth a life time of earnings to our character before they had a Pilots licence, and are faced with the immediate issue of having a huge asset and oppertunity, but at the same time a huge liability and expense, as suddenly the berthing fees and fuel costs are more than the money you have in your bank account, let alone service and repair costs, and bio waste trading was all one could afford.

Akin to waking up one day to find someone has gifted you one of these to make your fortune with.
553-01-wLarge.jpg
By the way the insurance is due, and it is berthed at $300 a day and is out of fuel, and will need an overall of her machinery in the not too distant future; but she is all yours to make your fortune with

Earning enough to cover costs was the first win, and then being able to afford that second pulse laser a milestone.

At least that is my impression and how I run my Pen and Paper RPGs

Now a new Cmdr starts with 10,000 Credits, a ship with two gimballed pulse lasers, a simple travel from A to B intro mission that pays 100,000 Credits and factions that regularly offer missions that are delivery a courier package with no damage to a system one jump away where they already have a presence and their own ships, that will pay the price of three new Sidewinders that could do the same trip.

Now that is a game-play compromise and I am not saying it is bad, or good, just simply that the CR numbers presented in the current game in no way reflect the lore that has been presented at the world the characters live in, nor the pre 1.0 balances where ships did actually pay docking fees in the form a fuel levy on larger ships, payouts where much smaller & running costs maintenance costs where higher.

I still RP that the only ship my Cmdr owns is their Sidewinder, and even that still has the Loaner Fuel tank.
Any other ship I use is on loan by the faction I am running the missions or CG for

DDastardly00

D
Not just credits in Elite, Video Games in general are easier now and have been for years. I remember games like Section Z that were very tough to complete. And in the arcade, games like Defender, Asteroids, and so on were tough. They were designed to be that hard on purpose in order to take your quarters faster.

Top Bottom