Why does Frontier have to make everything either frustrating or mind numbing? (Mining for Fissures)

That maybe a reflection of your skill and a reflection of the game. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Asked the young violinist. " Practice, Practice and Practice" said the older violinist.

Yes, they create a signifikant amount of overhead for themselves with very little benefits in the end. I really hope they have changed their way of implementing new mechanics for the upcoming update in 2020. Yamiks hinted at that during his Lavecon summary.
The concept of implementing new mechanics bare bones and only expanding them, if they get used, doesn't seem reasonable of you need to consider those mechanics anyway for each single further addition to the game. And if you don't do that, it seems higly inconsistent, like (Wing) missions in combination with Multicrew.
The first two years of ED were shambolic in terms of delivery and proper roadmap planning. There were a number of disconnected features (CQC, PowerPlay) brought in with seemingly no rhyme or reason, and with Horizons rather than iterate on what it was possible to do on planets, it again brought in completely disconnected stuff like multicrew 🤦‍♂️

I hope that the 2020/21 release is more structured and thought through.

dxm55

Banned
If the hit rate is lower elsewhere, yes, that's a hotspot by definition.

IKR. Interesting.
It's like a homeless dude on the streets of New York saying he's doing extremely well compared to some dude living in a famine zone somewhere in darkest Africa.

dxm55

Banned
Fixed it for you from the viewpoint of an oldie / silver spacer. No offence tended at all.

Skill based? Pffft. Not so much skill as procedure. And yes, tedium.
When you play multiplayer shooters, now that requires skill, if you want to be at the top of the table.

You could say CQC requires skill. But definitely not the main game. Where even PVPers are all about minmaxing ship stats.

IKR. Interesting.
It's like a homeless dude on the streets of New York saying he's doing extremely well compared to some dude living in a famine zone somewhere in darkest Africa.
No, not at all.

For your comparison there need to be areas outside of hotspots where the VO concentration is way higher, but that isn't the case.

A better comparison would be gold. You can find it in lots of spots in the world, but it's usually not enough to make mining it worthwhile. And even at the spots where concentration is high enough you still only get something like 0,001% of gold from the rocks. Which is way higher than the 0,000001% you would get elsewhere. That's what makes it a hotspot.

Last edited:
After a bit of practice I was able to find about 5 Fissuroids withing half and hour. It's, like all things in Elite, practice. And yes, there are a few false positives that really put me off as well.

I remember seeing that picture - and thinking the benefits would be great :)

Sadly, to the bit I highlighted - it is a learned skill, it must be, as despite lots of core mining (well a few hours :) ) I still can't get a 'definite' on a core bearer despite colour & shape...
its not a skill though honestly i need to create a video to explain it perhaps but its very easy to identify them many kms away, colouring them would make it enjoyable though, after all its meant to be a void opal HOT SPOT but i reckon theres more hot spots in strike it lucky!

400px-SIL1991screen.jpg

its not a skill though honestly i need to create a video to explain it perhaps but its very easy to identify them many kms away, colouring them would make it enjoyable though, after all its meant to be a void opal HOT SPOT but i reckon theres more hot spots in strike it lucky!

400px-SIL1991screen.jpg
You make the video and me and others will certainly be your 'bestest friend' for a while. I'd love to find out where the theory crashes and practicality comes in :)

I wonder if any, or all, of the people having difficulty spotting possible lode asteroids are red/green colour blind? There are subtle greens and reds involved. A thin green outline is often a giveaway in my experience.

Top Bottom