Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Seven Sisters Speedway. 13-Jul-3305 to 21-Jul-3305

From what I understood of the rules, there will be three leaderboards indeed, with the Kamikaze one being a free for all potentially including both Unlimited and Hauler runs. Goes without saying that a Hauler run would have no chance of winning against properly pimped ships (and properly wacky participants), it would just be done for giggles and personal bragging. I'll leave the last word on that to Raiko of course.

There is unlimited class and regulation hauler class each with their own leaderboard.

Then there is also the entirely optional Nuk's Kamikaze Cup, where repairs are banned and you're encouraged to dock at crazy speeds.

The cup has it's own leaderboard, so fastest absolute time will win the unlimited class (repairing as often as they like) and craziest speed-freak will win the Kamikaze Cup. The time bonuses are intentionally massive, so that boost speed is worth more than jump range.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
There is unlimited class and regulation hauler class each with their own leaderboard.

Then there is also the entirely optional Nuk's Kamikaze Cup, where repairs are banned and you're encouraged to dock at crazy speeds.

The cup has it's own leaderboard, so fastest absolute time will win the unlimited class (repairing as often as they like) and craziest speed-freak will win the Kamikaze Cup. The time bonuses are intentionally massive, so that boost speed is worth more than jump range.

Ta very much. I shall readjust my strategy slightly then.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I'll tell you what's not fun. Not having any idea which side of the rings Squirrel's Nest is on, because there's no image to work it out from like there is with the stations. 3 runs all abandoned because of dropping out 30-45Km away from the installation, in a Hauler that can only boost once every 14 seconds...

Ok so pushing the courier hard now but the lower jump range does make a difference.....
hot hot hot.JPG
moving now.JPG

I'll tell you what's not fun. Not having any idea which side of the rings Squirrel's Nest is on, because there's no image to work it out from like there is with the stations. 3 runs all abandoned because of dropping out 30-45Km away from the installation, in a Hauler that can only boost once every 14 seconds...
@Ozric If you approach the planet on the same plane as the rings, you'll be able to see which side the installation is on.

A couple had the same problem with an installation during my Galaxy's End race.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
@Ozric If you approach the planet on the same plane as the rings, you'll be able to see which side the installation is on.

A couple had the same problem with an installation during my Galaxy's End race.
How exactly?

If I approach from a distance on the same plane, then all I see is the target reticle, the rings are flat and so I can't tell which side I need to approach from. I've tried coming in at a 90 degree angle and dropping in between the plane and the rings, then facing the installation but I still struggle to tell which side to aim for until it's too late and I'm about to drop out in the rings.

Just an additional bit of clarification re: the buckyball message: should we be writing that while we zip past the listening post, or even a bit before or later is good? Like, do we have some time tolerance for that? (seconds, minutes, years, epochs)

@Ozric I had the same problem during my scouting run, coming out 50 km away on the wrong side of the rings, but truth be told I didn't even thought of looking from which side I was approaching. I'll take more care for my next stop there, but I suppose I'll try to nail that by guessing the parallax between the target reticle and the rings. Reticle moving faster than the rings, you're on the right side, rings faster than the reticle, you have to change side. They're pretty close between them, so not at all sure if it's practical.

Last edited:
Please could you remember to include the following details with your submitted runs:

CMDR Name (forum alias if different)
Ship name (ship type)
Race Class and/or Kamikaze Cup
Start Time: hh:mm:ss
Finish Time: hh:mm:ss
URL Link to Evidence Screenshots or Video Upload

@AkenBosch, if you're submitting a screenshot, it needs to appear in the same screenshot as your speed & distance.
If you submitting a video, just type it while still in the listening post instance.
It's fine to cut and paste, it was just meant to be a bit of fun not a test of typing speed.

I managed a complete run, although I also managed to forget to type the special code phrase at the listening post, so I can't qualify for any Kamikaze bonus! I was going fast, too. Well, fast for me. I even damaged my hull and everything! But then I forgot...

It's the curse of Codger, I tell ya. I forget everything. Just ask my wife.

I'll be making more runs later this week, for sure, but this was a valid run so at least I'll get on the board.

CMDR Codger
Open Unlimited
DBX "Offset Parameter"

--I removed the rest because apparently it's supposed to be secret--

Last edited:
There's fast...and then there's Buc-Keelback!

First run completed, and a Kamikaze one nonetheless! (ok, second run completed actually, but the first one ended 8% hull short of minimal allowed integrity against the back of Ohm, so, ehm...first run completed!)

26 minutes and 30 seconds.

That would have been a very good time if I made it probably, a shame the actual one is far, far worse. :p
Submission incoming not before tomorrow, I'm on the run and wrapping up everything from the video could take a while.

Feels good to be back. Thanks Raiko. ;)

Doh, Raiko asked to not reveal your run times in the thread ;)

Um...I thought he wanted them?

Please could you remember to include the following details with your submitted runs:

CMDR Name (forum alias if different)
Ship name (ship type)
Race Class and/or Kamikaze Cup
Start Time: hh:mm:ss
Finish Time: hh:mm:ss
URL Link to Evidence Screenshots or Video Upload

Top Bottom