Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Seven Sisters Speedway. 13-Jul-3305 to 21-Jul-3305

Oh, and on the subject of advice, someone asked earlier (Ozric?) how to tell which side of the asteroid belt to approach Squirrels Nest from so you don't drop out some 35 Km (?) away from the installation. Well, I think I'm right in saying that Pleione 3 (the neighbouring ringed planet) is always on the same side of the rings as Squirrels Nest so I've been experimenting (with some success) with doing a gravity braking fly-by of Pleione 3 before heading directly to Squirrels Nest.

P.S. better late than never, I've now updated our website: http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk/
I figured it out:
Come directly from the main star and approach in a way that puts Barnard's Loop behind the ring and you're golden.

In Regulation Hauler Class, Cookiehole is back.

Cookiehole is a back, since that's about the only thing we ever see of him on the boards. 😅

A couple considerations on the Guardian stuff...first, since I appear to be the only guy in town not equipping any (for now), what's the FSD handicap I can expect compared to have a FSD booster equipped? I have no idea about how much it improves jump range.

Second thing: could it be that carrying Guardian tech aboard could be a determining factor in the chances of being pulled over by the angry flowers? Could explain why some happens to be Thargoid magnets while I'm being ignored like a vegan at a BBQ party...

The FSD bonus varies with class, class 5 gives 10.5ly, class 3 gives 7.75ly - those are the only two I've needed for my fleet.

I'm not sure that everyone else has a booster fitted, but you're the only one to specify that you don't.

I've got an FSD booster fitted to every ship that I've flown around the Pleiades and I've never been targeted by the Thargoids.

I've not had chance to get in game this week though (since the Thargoid withdrawal).

I've never committed a hostile act against them though. I bought the meta alloys that I needed, and I collected the fragments for Palin from an alien crash site. I've not even shot any barnacles.

I've never committed a hostile act against them though. I bought the meta alloys that I needed, and I collected the fragments for Palin from an alien crash site. I've not even shot any barnacles.

That Keelback of mine mowed down a whole lot of Scouts, so it should be quite on their KOS list :LOL:

Second thing: could it be that carrying Guardian tech aboard could be a determining factor in the chances of being pulled over by the angry flowers? Could explain why some happens to be Thargoid magnets while I'm being ignored like a vegan at a BBQ party...
I can second this; I don't have any Guardian tech onboard and haven't been targeted either.
But I also haven't had any Thargoid interaction at all so far except from shooting 1 or 2 Barnacles and visiting a few crash sites.

I can second this; I don't have any Guardian tech onboard and haven't been targeted either.
But I also haven't had any Thargoid interaction at all so far except from shooting 1 or 2 Barnacles and visiting a few crash sites.
They don't care about what kind of tech you have fitted on board your ship. Only if you have cargo. And hyperdictions are completely random and there is no way to influence that whatsoever.

Yes, I'm pretty sure hyperdictions are random, and not tied to any equipment or cargo on your ship. After they stop you, however, if they find thargoid stuff in your cargo they might attack. Also if you fly toward them and get too close, they go hostile. Best thing is to boost away as soon as you can, and keep your distance until you can jump out.

I remember jumping around the area for a while back when the Thargoids first started hyperdictions. I was one of the early investigators, and encountered the aliens quite a few times during those first few days. After that I pretty much ignored them. I killed a couple of scouts once but it was in beta. I do have an FSD booster fitted to my DBX, and to most of my other ships as well.

Yes, if it was down to cargo I'm sure that I'd have been stopped. I wasn't one of the most active in Operation IDA, but I certainly hauled 10s of thousands of tons in the Pleiades in my T9.

I'm a bit surprised / disappointed that I've never been a victim of chance.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I wonder if there may have been a bit of confusion around the problems I'm having with Squirrels Nest (or my mistunderstanding), I know which side of the planet it's on Pleione 3 makes a great brake as Alec said so you have enough time to spot that easily, it's which side of the rings.

With Artemis Lodge it's easy to see which side you need to be because of the station hologram.
d90pf69h.jpg

Because there's no mailslot visible on the station, I know that I need to be on the other side of the rings.
yfBVG1uh.jpg

But with Squirrel's Nest
3iQp6qZh.jpg

No idea which side to be on.
QslFrPQh.jpg

Dropping out here took me 45Km away into the ring 🤷‍♂️

Regulation Hauler Class
In Regulation Hauler Class, Cookiehole is back.

Well to quote Alec

35v5ll.jpg

;) good to have you back, I just hope you're not too many minutes ahead of me already.

Next time, I'll try N-{1-[(6-Chloro-3-pyridyl)methyl]-4,5-dihydroimidazol-2-yl}nitramide.

My Hauler finds this in bad taste...

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Spurred on I made a nice improvement this afternoon. I actually did 2 runs and the first was almost perfect and would have been quicker even than my second run, but I just dropped out a fraction missing Ohm Station and it ended up adding over a minute to what would have been my time :(

Still I think you might like this member of the Keelback Appreciation Society I met this afternoon :)

VwNkpVnh.jpg

I wonder if there may have been a bit of confusion around the problems I'm having with Squirrels Nest (or my mistunderstanding), I know which side of the planet it's on Pleione 3 makes a great brake as Alec said so you have enough time to spot that easily, it's which side of the rings.

With Artemis Lodge it's easy to see which side you need to be because of the station hologram.
d90pf69h.jpg

Because there's no mailslot visible on the station, I know that I need to be on the other side of the rings.
yfBVG1uh.jpg

But with Squirrel's Nest
3iQp6qZh.jpg

No idea which side to be on.
QslFrPQh.jpg

Dropping out here took me 45Km away into the ring 🤷‍♂️

So is Dr Nagi's comment about Barnard's Loop the solution to this? (it sounds better than my Pleione 3 solution where the difference is still a bit subtle).

I figured it out:
Come directly from the main star and approach in a way that puts Barnard's Loop behind the ring and you're golden.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
So is Dr Nagi's comment about Barnard's Loop the solution to this? (it sounds better than my Pleione 3 solution where the difference is still a bit subtle).

I'm not sure really because Barnard's Loop would be behind the rings regardless of which side your on. I decided to stop thinking about it too much and use my racer's instinct and by sheer blind luck racing prowess ;) I got it right today on both of the runs I had. I watched the video and I think I was gravity braking over Pleione 3 the opposite side to where I did the other day, so it was putting me looking down nicely on the Squirrels.

So that's 1-0 to Buckyball over Logic.

The way I have been approaching Squirrels Nest is by first making my stop at Stargazer, then flying back towards Pleione with Squirrels Nest on the right side of the star. I then make my final approach from the top of the ring from that reference frame.

I'm not sure really because Barnard's Loop would be behind the rings regardless of which side your on.

Source: https://media.giphy.com/media/APqEbxBsVlkWSuFpth/giphy.gif

The way I have been approaching Squirrels Nest is by first making my stop at Stargazer, then flying back towards Pleione with Squirrels Nest on the right side of the star. I then make my final approach from the top of the ring from that reference frame.

I flew back a bit further. Right to Atlas and back :D. Didn't make any actual calculations (please refer to Ozric's "Buckyball over logic" above), but guts told me it would have been actually faster this way. Maybe I'd be better doing calculations.

Top Bottom