Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Why should they unban him? He didn't just use the cheat for the protest, he is a self-admitted long time cheater. I thought the general attitude of people in this thread was for all cheaters to be tarred and feathered for eternity.

Guess I should of done my research. Didn't realize he had a history.

Easy Anti-Cheat is a decent product, but doesn't stop cheat devs entirely. Just makes things harder for them.

Why FDev isn't capable of being this professional? What do you mean by that? You mean their own skills to implement an anti-cheat system that is reliable or why are they not going to a third party provider for an anti-cheat system?

Anti cheat software is like anti-virus or anti-anything software. You will never accomplish 100% safety and this is not even the goal. The goal is just to build a big hurdle to minimize the amount and impact of cheats or unwelcomed software. Since you realized that I believe we are on the same boat here.

And yes, why doesn't FDev does anything a professional developer studio would today? Let alone this "official statement on cheating" is an absolute joke. It effectively says nothing, it shows no plans and actions of how to tackle this issue. There are no liabilities, no ETAs, not even the smallest hint of any ACTION to be taken.
Over the past 2-3 years or so FDev has been shifiting more towardsa political organisation: says alot, does nothing or nothing right and the community is completely decasuled from the developer team. There is no connection and thus FDev serves content often unwanted, in low quality or even not at all.

Now with cheating. This statement for real is the most political message that contains no information I have ever seen. Canned response as if they had it prepared before the disaster happened. Atleast we know that they take reactive actions to cheaters and ban some of them to solo (which doesn't stop them from influencing the BGS, PP or other things, a complete game ban is necessary and appropiate) but that doesn't prevent any sorts of cheats now and neither in the future.
Comparing that to the most similar statement they released in tha tform was combat logging. If they take cheating just as serious as combat logging then there is absolutely no hope for cheat prevention in this game because until this day there has been done ab-so-lu-te-ly nothing, nada, zero, vacuum against combat logging.
It still persists after more than 4 years, the punishment is soft at best and it is frequently happening in Elite and thus, the same outcome will most likely happen to cheaters as well. Soft punishments, frequent use of hacks, especially in solo to influence BGS and PP or even botting.
If this is professional level for anyone this world is lost.

EAC would kick Linux/Proton out immediately. There could be more Linux players now than cheaters. As a game developer a lot of things have to be considered.
This happened to them, unfortunately, including me. However, I'd rather prefare an anti cheat software than a comfortable ability to paly on Linux. Fact is that the linux gaming community (unfortunately) is just a small fraction of players similar to the apple users. Most of all the players are using a windows system (though with numbers slowly declining and shifting more towards Linux). For short term decisions, though (which the cheating drama is) it is better to ignore the desires of a relatively small amount of players to achieve safety. You then can still think about long term decisions such as official Linux support (by the way, this is under consideration over there. Got an E-Mail from the CEO of PHX who is also a Linux gamer and supports native Linux versions for games) but in case you house is burning you gotta extinguish the flames first regardless, if some inhabitants will freeze a little during winter and may apprreciate a warm fire. However I don't if it is my house burning.

Anti cheat software is like anti-virus or anti-anything software.

And it pretty much requires permanent maintenance and tweaking. And then we go back to maintenance costs, subscriptions based or ingame monetization.
Then indeed ED will be cheats free... and also players free.

And cheat software is more commonly developed for the Windows, because the typical cheater is not the developer of the cheat, therefor for maximum clients the developer develops for windows. Cheat engine is available for windows and an older version for mac.
Anti Cheat Software just for the windows clients would help against most of the cheaters.

And it pretty much requires permanent maintenance and tweaking. And then we go back to maintenance costs, subscriptions based or ingame monetization.
Than why do other game developers use anti cheat software?
Because cheating in games does more harm to a game than the costs of maintaining anti cheat.

Because cheating in games does more harm to a game than the costs of maintaining anti cheat.

this is as valid as saying "outside is raining"
it may be raining on your street, but if i look outside the windows it is all sunny and cheerful.

in our particular case that is ED, the cheat advertising campaign organized by ryan did more harm than the cheats themselves.

Than why do other game developers use anti cheat software?
Yeah, I've been wondering that - Fdev use Denuvo on their other games, not sure why they don't use it on ED as that's the one where cheating can affect others. Sure it's still beatable, but all you're trying to do is put off casual cheats.

this is as valid as saying "outside is raining"
it may be raining on your street, but if i look outside the windows it is all sunny and cheerful.

in our particular case that is ED, the cheat advertising campaign organized by ryan did more harm than the cheats themselves.
I didn't meant that the cheater harms another ones game play directly e.g. because they met in game.

I was talking about the harm it does to the number of sold games and to the number of people who play the game in total.

In these days people check a game on the internet before they buy it. Now blaming the messenger with "the cheat advertising campaign organized by ryan did more harm than the cheats themselves" is definitively not the way to think about this nowadays. You can not hide the information. You can not control the information (about cheats available). You need to adress security problems (and cheats in game) as soon as you become aware of it!

I wouldn't buy a game where it is common that cheaters are around. It just doesn't make sense to play such a game (except for the cheater). But to comfort you I admit that we are able to play without encountering cheaters directly. I guess thats why Fdev puts no priority on anti cheat. On the other hand someone who is looking forward to buy the game does not know that the cheaters are not so omnipresent and still won't buy the game.

I am reiterating myself. Please read my other posts in this thread.

This is just categoric wrong. Not every anti-cheat software requires monthly fees. In fact it is the same idea for cars. Just because you can sell a car doesn't mean you have no further costs. Maintaince costs are to be taken care of by the customer, sure, but for instance if your engine stops working the company has to repair it (assuming you bought the car in the last couple of months).
And with Elite, in case your game is breaking you gotta repair it. This also includes cheating as well as other issues. However inEltie's case they are not being taken care of.

Frontier is effectively ignoring most of the issues and strictly follows their internal plan which is not influenced by events such as this one right here. Unprofessional. Unable to adapt and thus follows low quality.

Anti cheat software is like anti-virus or anti-anything software. You will never accomplish 100% safety and this is not even the goal. The goal is just to build a big hurdle to minimize the amount and impact of cheats or unwelcomed software. Since you realized that I believe we are on the same boat here.

And yes, why doesn't FDev does anything a professional developer studio would today? Let alone this "official statement on cheating" is an absolute joke. It effectively says nothing, it shows no plans and actions of how to tackle this issue. There are no liabilities, no ETAs, not even the smallest hint of any ACTION to be taken.
Over the past 2-3 years or so FDev has been shifiting more towardsa political organisation: says alot, does nothing or nothing right and the community is completely decasuled from the developer team. There is no connection and thus FDev serves content often unwanted, in low quality or even not at all.

Now with cheating. This statement for real is the most political message that contains no information I have ever seen. Canned response as if they had it prepared before the disaster happened. Atleast we know that they take reactive actions to cheaters and ban some of them to solo (which doesn't stop them from influencing the BGS, PP or other things, a complete game ban is necessary and appropiate) but that doesn't prevent any sorts of cheats now and neither in the future.
Comparing that to the most similar statement they released in tha tform was combat logging. If they take cheating just as serious as combat logging then there is absolutely no hope for cheat prevention in this game because until this day there has been done ab-so-lu-te-ly nothing, nada, zero, vacuum against combat logging.
It still persists after more than 4 years, the punishment is soft at best and it is frequently happening in Elite and thus, the same outcome will most likely happen to cheaters as well. Soft punishments, frequent use of hacks, especially in solo to influence BGS and PP or even botting.
If this is professional level for anyone this world is lost.

While i also wish FD would be forthcoming with information about their anti-cheat activities, its not likely to happen. FD have been pretty closed mouth on the topic for years. They will do as they do, and getting worked up about it and ranting on the forums won't change anything.

Just chill. Either FD are doing something, in which case, your ranting won't change anything, or they are not, and it also won't change anything. Either you can live with the state of affairs in the game or you can't.

Ultimately, it is the playerbase who decide whether to play or not and FD to react to that based on constructive feedback. If enough people stop playing because of cheaters, then it might (or might not) prompt FD to do something different.

Its hard for me to get worked up about this topic. I haven't seen a cheater in game once as far as i know. I might (or might not) have seen a cheater in CQC, hard to tell sometimes. Playing in open i barely see other players anyway, and when i do, there is usually no response, not even to an o7.

I do hope FD are doing their best to address the issue and are being professional about it. Not being on the inside, i have no idea about this, but there again, neither do you.

Frontier is effectively ignoring most of the issues and strictly follows their internal plan which is not influenced by events such as this one right here. Unprofessional. Unable to adapt and thus follows low quality.

No, i do think that they are actively fighting cheats, but the fact that 1000 people yell wolf at every stray dog they encounter does make their job 1000 times harder.

Just chill. Either FD are doing something, in which case, your ranting won't change anything, or they are not, and it also won't change anything. Either you can live with the state of affairs in the game or you can't.

While you are watching the apocalypse do its job please don't stand in my way trying to stop it. I will critize as much as I please and speak out praises if I feel like they are fitting. Either you can deal with critique towards others or you can't.
If you like the game as it is go play it, I won't stop you but I am putting effort in creating pressure so those who are responsible for this mess clean it up some day.

While you are watching the apocalypse do its job please don't stand in my way trying to stop it. I will critize as much as I please and speak out praises if I feel like they are fitting. Either you can deal with critique towards others or you can't.
If you like the game as it is go play it, I won't stop you but I am putting effort in creating pressure so those who are responsible for this mess clean it up some day.

LOL, apocalypyse.

Drama llama much?

You similarly attempt to depreciate the issue. Your stance is the more damaging one imo.

Damaging? Neither stance is damaging. I just find calling the occurence of cheats in an online game an apocalypse, frankly speaking, hysterically funny.

Its a game. A game. Once again, a game. Nobody will die due to the presence of cheats in a game. Frustrating, yes. Annoying, yes. Can we hope FD can/will do something about it, yes. But calling it an apocalypse? Jesus fricking wept.

But calling it an apocalypse? Jesus fricking wept.

You similarly attempt to depreciate the issue. Your stance is the more damaging one imo.

If you don't think it's a big deal just ignore what you interpret to be extreme views and they won't gain as much traction, if what you assume is correct.

Damaging? Neither stance is damaging. I just find calling the occurence of cheats in an online game an apocalypse, frankly speaking, hysterically funny.

Its a game. A game. Once again, a game. Nobody will die due to the presence of cheats in a game. Frustrating, yes. Annoying, yes. Can we hope FD can/will do something about it, yes. But calling it an apocalypse? Jesus fricking wept.

For those who play the game in a competitive manner it is a dealbreaker, "apocalypse" is a rhetoric way of saying that, and you are using a strawman.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom