The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
gamefied" and unrealistic gamey gameplay design like nerfing the yaw in ED ... you don't want to see seemingly instantaneously accelerate and decelerate in space? then again just add unrealistic "heaviness" like ED... but also then again we have gamers hating ED for precisely like that.
I quite disagree here. Unless your ships are like spheres with huge thrusters in every direction (in which case i'd agree with the concept of space turrets), the designs we are presented with have the equivalent of small RCS openings sparsely dotted around them. These arent turning a 100+ tons beast on a dime, at all. Actually even ED ships do manoeuver a bit too easily given their weight (and the gamified part is there, achieving a good balance between realism and enjoyable space combat, which is arguably the best part of ED).
Ships in SC are weightless helium balloons. Any interaction between them and anything else whatever the weight shows that clearly.

Avoiding space turrets is the first step towards achieving balance between various ships sizes, and giving some tactical edge to bigger engagements, where careful positioning becomes even more important, and main thruster power (and thus linear speed) becomes a real advantage (build speed, compromise attackers ability to position themselves the way they want, keep them under actual turret fire..).

Even ED's thrusters are unrealistic. Scott Manly did a good vid on how large the lateral thrusters would have to be to achieve the turn rates in ED, never mind the full speed reverski with no apparent front thrusters.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Interesting take on what the legislative body in the US considers pay 2 win:

(i) with respect to an interactive digital entertainment product that, from the perspective of a reasonable user of the product, is a game offering a scoring system, a set of goals to achieve, a set of rewards, or a sense of interactive progression
through the product’s content including but not limited to narrative progression—
(I) eases a user’s progression through content otherwise available within the game without the purchase of such transaction;
(II) assists a user in accomplishing an achievement within the game that can otherwise be accomplished without the purchase of such transaction;
(III) assists a user in receiving an award associated with the game that is otherwise available in association with the game without the purchase of such transaction; or
(IV) permits a user to continue to access content of the game that had previously been accessible to the user but has been made inaccessible after the expiration of a timer or a number of gameplay attempts; or

(ii) with respect to an interactive digital entertainment product that, from the perspective of a reasonable user of the product, is a game featuring competition with other users, provides a user with a competitive advantage with respect to the game’s competitive aspects over users who do not make such a transaction.

Under this definition, Star Citizen would most likley fall into "official" Pay 2 Win.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/24/senate-bill-fights-loot-boxes-and-pay-to-win/

Not sure if the bill has been passed already or not though.

Even ED's thrusters are unrealistic. Scott Manly did a good vid on how large the lateral thrusters would have to be to achieve the turn rates in ED, never mind the full speed reverski with no apparent front thrusters.
Yeah that was what i was saying in a nutshell (though there are front manoeuver thrusters on all ED ships, some are quite big and obvious like on the Krait (*)). A modded KSP would be able to reproduce most ships from these games at least in mass and rough shape, but with proper physics, and we'd found out they mostly fly in straight line...

(*) side note, typing this i remembered many ships in ED have bigger downwards thrusters, and sometimes front ones, while all others are just small round ports. in Star Citizen if we exclude the rotating VTOL main thrusters all of them are of the small round variety (or i didnt notice bigger ones yet ?).

Last edited:
Interesting take on what the legislative body in the US considers pay 2 win:

Under this definition, Star Citizen would most likley fall into "official" Pay 2 Win.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/24/senate-bill-fights-loot-boxes-and-pay-to-win/

Not sure if the bill has been passed already or not though.

a game offering a scoring system, a set of goals to achieve, a set of rewards, or a sense of interactive progression

Star Citizen offers no such things. Check mate goonie law makers

I'm not entirely sure it offers much in the way of "reasonable users" either.

Also, "you win by having fun"

Meh - I keep on trying to get 3.6 to run but it just continually hangs at the loading screen - waiting on a network response that never arrives.

a game offering a scoring system, a set of goals to achieve, a set of rewards, or a sense of interactive progression

Star Citizen offers no such things. Check mate goonie law makers

I'm not entirely sure it offers much in the way of "reasonable users" either.

Also, "you win by having fun"

Star citizen is not a game, Star Citizen is a state of mind, a lifestyle, an attitude!

Meh - I keep on trying to get 3.6 to run but it just continually hangs at the loading screen - waiting on a network response that never arrives.
Ohh....You should definitely play SC with this patch....Hovering mode is such a"unique"experience + this patch also provide a ton of new&fresh bugs!!!

Ohh....You should definitely play SC with this patch....Hovering mode is such a"unique"experience + this patch also provide a ton of new&fresh bugs!!!

I'm absolutely sure that it is!

However - the last time the "game" did this it required a complete delete and reinstall - when it didn't decide to delete itself of course - and to be completely honest I can't be bothered with either the time nor bandwidth involved for yet another reinstall :D

I'll grab an SSD from a mate and copy across tomorrow.

I'm one of the harshest critics of SC on the forum (seriously, don't buy this game!) but 3.6 doesn't look that bad. I've watched hours of streams and have seen people enjoying it (and even getting a handle on hover mode).

No one's posted it yet.

IbE0lFt.jpg

Credit to the SA forums for delivering content on a schedule that's more accelerated than a quarterly calendar.

Unprecedented fidelity. Definitely not a panic-fix to amateur design errors that any 4-year-old would spot.
How dare you sir! This is a rational and cooly-implemented advance. That animaton is early work from August 2018.

Just sit back and admire the vision ;)

Priceless. The old use-a-lift-instead-of-an-escalator trick. I particularly liked the part where it had to reverse. But the funniest part is CRoberts presenting it so proudly. To be fair, he did call it a test case. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I look at the roadmaps and given how a 100% "done" task looks like in the PU I'm totally reassured for SQ42 progress. Totally coming in 2020, in the best shape any AAA will never ever be.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom