General / Off-Topic Top Gun 2020

Dya think???

Top-Gun-Kelly-McGillis-1378483.jpg
Oof.

F18 looks so meh compared with F14

True, the F-14 was truly legendary... But unfortunately it was retired from service.

To be honest I couldn't suggest a fighter jet to take the F-14's place in the movie... Maybe the F-15 (which is also legendary) but is "too multirole" (the F-18 too) to play a pure fighter... The F-16 is too small, it would look like the F-14's infant brother...

I guess the F-18 was picked because, like the F-14, can land on aircraft carriers.

True, the F-14 was truly legendary... But unfortunately it was retired from service.

To be honest I couldn't suggest a fighter jet to take the F-14's place in the movie... Maybe the F-15 (which is also legendary) but is "too multirole" (the F-18 too) to play a pure fighter... The F-16 is too small, it would look like the F-14's infant brother...

I guess the F-18 was picked because, like the F-14, can land on aircraft carriers.
Falcon f16 gotta be my fave, because game

I was speaking with my work mates about this today... We were talking about future war movies becoming a bore, fighter jets and combat helis replaced with drones and stuff...
For a warring armies the war is going to become a mere video game. Soldiers will work at war in 8 hour shifts and return to their families every evening.
For civilians living in the areas over which the war takes place, though, it won't get any easier than it is now.

I guess she hit the glass ceiling ....
gettyimages-159832939.jpg
Yes no doubt and it seems that the dramatic events of 1982 broke her life and her career a few years later (after 1988), with persistent trauma in her head despite the success of Witness and Top Gun.

Last edited:
I was speaking with my work mates about this today... We were talking about future war movies becoming a bore, fighter jets and combat helis replaced with drones and stuff...

To see this in action, watch the first space battle in Guardians of the Galaxy 2:

People sat in pods trying to shoot at live targets.

Yes no doubt and it seems that the dramatic events of 1982 broke her life and her career a few years later (after 1988), with persistent trauma in her head despite the success of Witness and Top Gun.
What happened to her on those dates? She looks like she's been through Hell...

To see this in action, watch the first space battle in Guardians of the Galaxy 2:

People sat in pods trying to shoot at live targets.

I saw that, it's the lamest space battle of all time...

In the future, people will have to make war movies set in the past, or they'll be the most boring things ever devised.

Goose4291

Banned
For a warring armies the war is going to become a mere video game. Soldiers will work at war in 8 hour shifts and return to their families every evening.
For civilians living in the areas over which the war takes place, though, it won't get any easier than it is now.

As someone currently (and kind of still) serving, I think that's a very naive outlook.

While this line of thinking is attributable to 'air power' and how it's evolved, any Bootie, Pongo or Rock ape I know will quite regularly tell you, in warfare, there will always be a need for a man with a rifle to control the piece of mud you're fighting over. (admitedly, in the case of the Rock Apes, that's to guard the base NAAFI, but the point still stands :D)

I think that likewise extends to maritime warfare as well, where long deployments mean there's always going to be a need to have at the very least a stoker with a shifter around to fix the damn thing when it breaks.

As someone currently (and kind of still) serving, I think that's a very naive outlook.

While this line of thinking is attributable to 'air power' and how it's evolved, any Bootie, Pongo or Rock ape I know will quite regularly tell you, in warfare, there will always be a need for a man with a rifle to control the piece of mud you're fighting over. (admitedly, in the case of the Rock Apes, that's to guard the base NAAFI, but the point still stands :D)

I think that likewise extends to maritime warfare as well, where long deployments mean there's always going to be a need to have at the very least a stoker with a shifter around to fix the damn thing when it breaks.
It was a joke.

Top Bottom