General / Off-Topic We could have lost the Apollo 11 crew

Just like the V2 rockets. 20,000 humans died, building a weapon, that killed less than 5,000.

The Space race to the Moon, killed more people, than actually made it to the moon. In fact. More humans trained to be, Astronauts/Cosmonauts died, during that time, than the number of humans, that got to the moon. Then you have to consider; all those forgotten people, who died, just working on the projects.

Acceptable risk? Only to those, who were still around, to claim it as a success.

Last edited:
I hear you, but I think when a threshold is reached, it becomes an acceptable risk.

Of course, I'm not a rocket scientist or a statistician so I can't tell you what the risk was deemed to be, nor whether that was seen as high or low.

Yes I guess scientists took calculated risks.

Just like the V2 rockets. 20,000 humans died, building a weapon, that killed less than 5,000.

The Space race to the Moon, killed more people, than actually made it to the moon. In fact. More humans trined to be, Astronauts/Cosmonauts died, during that time, than the number of humans, that got to the moon. Then you have to consider; all those forgotten people, who died, just working on the projects.

Acceptable risk? Only to those, who were still around, to claim it as a success.
Yes, and I read that the V2 rockets deliver a maximum of 30 tons of explosives per day, while at the same time the Allied bombers dump 3000 tons of bombs daily on German cities.

For the record, i'd rather die quick and painless. Perish in a nuclear explosion, building collapse, suspicious suicide....wait i'm not sure about that last one, but damn i'd be honored to be remembered a la Seth Rich.

Top Bottom