Frontier why ...

... has everything you do to be flawed and faulty? I am not speaking of bugs and connectivity issues. Atleast not only because these are obvious and tradition already.
I am speaking about minor things. Even the simpliest of tasks are not free of bugs, failures and faults.

Just now I decided to check out the witch head space and defend the thargoids from the bad humans that want to steal their meta alloys. When approaching a rescue ship I had to observe, that it was within a planet.
Yes, it is burried 238km under the ground of the planet it was supposed to orbit. Thanks. Great, luckily there is a different rescue ship I can dock on.
I know that you value quality less than during release time of Elite but this lazy? This lazy? Really? Not even checking once for every rescue ship you place during an official interstellar initiative (event) that is handcrafted? Not even that?
I am no longer disappointed, was expecting failure but this low? I am just surprised now. Now I fear I have to prepare for even worse scenarios. If simple things like that get overseen for days during the week then I don't want to know what else might be overseen. While my hope for high quality content and bug free experiences has been nullified I now just hope that the bugs I will encounter are just of minor impact.

Though the Gnosis experience was on point. If only ...

EDIT: Bug has been fixed, thanks Paige for your attention!
Hey Commanders,

Thank you for the feedback. Constructive feedback is always appreciated and is fed back to the development team by myself and the rest of the CM team!

In regards to the bug mentioned in the OP, it appears to have been caused by an odd pathing issue! You'll be able to see the changes once by either hyperspacing to another system, or relogging.

Last edited:
I just came back to the game after months off, and before I quit I considered the game the most buggy game I own. Well wouldn't you know that in my first or second hour of gameplay I find a new serious bug on PS4 that prevents me from selling commodities! Supposedly there are some stupid work-arounds, but this bug must have been in the game since the new trading tools were released, and it's still not fixed? Considering that trading is one of the first things a new player does, and many players aren't on the forum to ask, "Why can't I sell goods?" this one bug alone is a terrible black eye for the game.

And this is just one of MANY, MANY bugs.

ps - I also experienced a megaship in Witchhead that "runs away" at uncatchable speed as soon as you drop out of supercruise. It leaves all the smoke and damage 'decals' behind floating in empty space, however...

I have found over the year, connection issue normally are related to you own machine. especially when your router does not support uPNP.
I had issues for a few months until I worked this out.

I know use port forwarding and have set in game options network to be forwarding on port 5111

I put forwarding rule in router to my PC, I not had a problem since

They already got our money, why should they bother?
Their main business model is selling the game to new players.
Some people avoid games that are known to be buggy. People will sometimes counter my "ED is the buggiest game I own!" claim with, "What about XYZ?" To which my reply is, "I don't knowingly buy buggy games, so I don't own XYZ." ED is very different than my other games, because while games like Skyrim have improved over time, ED started off as a good-looking, bug-free* game on PS4, only to decay into a rotten corpse of a game swarming with flies and maggots with every new update.

* no game is bug-free, so I'm using this more as the 'average baseline' of the games I own.

Are megaships still racing around at >500m/s?

On the one hand, it's kind of funny when you arrive and get one of those "help defend us from pirates" missions, only for the pirates to find they haven't got a snowball's chance of actually catching the megaship, never mind attacking it.
OTOH, it's not so funny when you arrive in "front" of the megaship and it hits you like a freight train doing 1000mph.
That's not funny at all.

if you ports are not working correctly and the other players PCs cannot connect to your computer. you may not see them appear in game. infact, there was a timeout, if you couldn't connect correctly, the game will play for a period then boot you out.

if you look at you log file then you may see auto disconnects and a clue why.

My log files are here

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Logs

Are megaships still racing around at >500m/s?
Yep. Ironically most megaships I encounter have their main thrusters firing at max, all the while they are just sitting still. At least a moving megaship 'makes sense' in regards to these thrusters, LOL.

@Aunt - I'd rather join your white knight squadron so I can make fun of everyone who experiences bugs in this game :p

Some people avoid games that are known to be buggy. People will sometimes counter my "ED is the buggiest game I own!" claim with, "What about XYZ?" To which my reply is, "I don't knowingly buy buggy games, so I don't own XYZ." ED is very different than my other games, because while games like Skyrim have improved over time, ED started off as a good-looking, bug-free* game on PS4, only to decay into a rotten corpse of a game swarming with flies and maggots with every new update.

* no game is bug-free, so I'm using this more as the 'average baseline' of the games I own.

Corollary: Since no game is bug-free, some people avoid buying games.

Last time I checked, FD was still generating nice revenue with ED. Conclusion: some people buy buggy games that are on sale.

I have found over the year, connection issue normally are related to you own machine. especially when your router does not support uPNP.
I had issues for a few months until I worked this out.

I know use port forwarding and have set in game options network to be forwarding on port 5111

I put forwarding rule in router to my PC, I not had a problem since

That doesn't solve the other parties having bamboo connections and frequently DC from your instance whic hcreates instancing issues, which makes larger instances unplayable etc. etc. etc.

Corollary: Since no game is bug-free, some people avoid buying games.

Last time I checked, FD was still generating nice revenue with ED. Conclusion: some people buy buggy games that are on sale.
And Walmart is one of the most profitable companies despite selling crap that often breaks two months after you buy it. And the world is a better place because of it.

For a game that supposedly attracts more liberal-minded people, I'm amazed at how many folks here are greedy "To hell with society as long as I (or in this case Braben) get rich" capitalists. :p

In the year or so I’ve been playing this version (on PS4), I’ve come across a couple of bugs (I think they’re bugs). They haven’t stopped me playing, just been annoying or, interestingly, fruitful.

One is recalling my ship from the SRV. It has a couple times just hovered inches from the floor trying to land but cant. Some sort of texture issue or something. The only solution is to drive away so the ship naturally dismisses itself as the option where you do this in the SRV is locked on “Ship Approaching”.

Last night, twice, I recalled the ship and it landed fine but there was a small hill directly under the boarding hatch meaning there was no way to physically get in the right place to board. So I had to dismiss it to recall it again to land elsewhere.

Finally, I did a couple of missions last night of recovering escape pods. As I approach the planet the search zone is highlighted, I select it, land by it (after that annoying searchlight thing it does of moving). I get in the SRV, collect the pods and the 6 or so canisters of gold, palladium etc. When I collect the pods the mission message comes up, “Goods collected, bring ‘em home’. I return to my ship, keep on trucking following my scanner and find a duplicate crash site with pods marked in blue as mission related, more valuable canisters. I collect it all. Weird and financially pleasing. As I said, a year or so of playing. Maybe I’m lucky but they’re not game stoppers.

I played a ton of Skyrim on the PS (3 & 4), it has more bugs than the American Embassy in Moscow. To this day my son can still get beneath the textures in Winterhold, float in space underground and find a chest filled with goodies. You could do that on PS3 & 4. They carried the bug to the new console. Happily it’s not a game stopper but it had some. I seem to remember one of the Fallout titles forced me to restart because of a game stopper and Red Dead 1 (I seem to remember) had parts where completion of one side mission scuppered the game if done in the wrong order.

I can only talk from personal experience, the worst thing about ED for me is my own abilities (I’m rubbish at combat, I’d be better using my feet than my hands). Yes it has some flaws but no more than other big titles I’ve played that have even swapped consoles and had them remaining.

No doubt that if you encounter game stopping bugs or glitches it is fantastically annoying made even more infuriating when they remain but a little context is required.

Here’s a thing I remind myself of regularly. I’m now 50 years old. We didn’t get a landline telephone in our house until I was 14. If you had told me then that I’d be able to download a game through (essentially) the telephone line that would allow me to travel a universe of over 400 billion stars WITH other people from all over the world I’m not sure I would have believed you. But here we are. The technology is incredible. It will have flaws. Our expectations have been ramped up to the max in this area. We take so much for granted without thinking just how miraculous it really is.

Having said all that, if I get bugged out to the point of not being able to transport 90 units of medicine for 9,000,000cr to ‘help’ in a health crisis, I’m going to have serious fit.

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Hey Commanders,

Thank you for the feedback. Constructive feedback is always appreciated and is fed back to the development team by myself and the rest of the CM team!

Just now I decided to check out the witch head space and defend the thargoids from the bad humans that want to steal their meta alloys. When approaching a rescue ship I had to observe, that it was within a planet.

In regards to the bug mentioned in the OP, it appears to have been caused by an odd pathing issue! You'll be able to see the changes once by either hyperspacing to another system, or relogging.

Hey Commanders,

"Commanders have been puzzled by an odd phenomenon whereby it appeared that a rescue ship was embedded within a nearby planet. Upon exiting and re-entering the star system via hyperspace, the rescue ship mysteriously appeared in orbit. Physicists have theorised that this phenomenon was caused by an as-yet unexplained interaction between the fabric of spacetime and the Thargoids drive technology. Investigations are ongoing.

Professor Palin has commented on this 'fascinating and somewhat frightening occurrence.' "

And you know they are simple how?
Because that bug is now fixed (just right after you posted this) and merely took a notification .. that should not have been made by me but made by the QA team, if it exists or is assigned to work on such things. And some more reasons I am not bothered to explain now. The bug got fixed and I am somewhat happy. Still baffled by how obvious this was and remained for days.

This is the orbit of the rescue ship. The orbit that lies through the planet. Re-log or re-entering system will not fix the wrong orbit of the megaship.

"Commanders have been puzzled by an odd phenomenon whereby it appeared that a rescue ship was embedded within a nearby planet. Upon exiting and re-entering the star system via hyperspace, the rescue ship mysteriously appeared in orbit. Physicists have theorised that this phenomenon was caused by an as-yet unexplained interaction between the fabric of spacetime and the Thargoids drive technology. Investigations are ongoing.

Professor Palin has commented on this 'fascinating and somewhat frightening occurrence.' "

"Commanders have been reported to have been clustering around planets in the Witch Head Sector, talking wildly about ships embedded in planets. Authorities blame a contaminated batch of Onion Head.

Professor Palin is quoted as saying "It's totally grooooovy man!""

Top Bottom