First time playing on PC and VR - Intel or AMD??

Writing to a Disk's Pagefile was created by Microsoft back in the day because RAM was hideously expensive and in small denominations. If I can afford 32+Gig of RAM, why not let the thing be fast and work as intended.
If in doubt, seeing as NVME's and SSD's are becoming the norm and are fast, why not set a 20Gig static Disk pagefile and forget about it.

It already does this. If you have the ram it will use the ram. This is proven by how many who disabled the page file and doesn't have issues.

It makes perfect sense they renamed it in afterburner. Calling it committed memory is far more apt since it is reserved space on the disk, doesn't mean it is actually used, but since it is reserved on the disks file system it will seem to be a file of the given size. But again a file of 16GB can still be empty. One way I could compare it is like a credit card.
A credit card has a set limit but isn't debt until you use it.

Reserving page file size was indeed more common back in the day, when we had less efficient filesystems and much slower drives, SCSI or IDE for instance.
So we did set permanent sizes on these drives, ran a defrag, that was still a thing,
The idea being the page file then should have access to a nice sequential and orderly section on the drive.

The rule of thumb was to always have a page file at minimum the same as the amount of RAM, preferably twice that.
These where for servers, office computers was just left to it's own settings, some would set fixed size there too, didn't really matter all that much.
As mentioned if you wanted high performance workstation setup I would run at least three disks in a
RAID configuration and practically triple your read and write speed.
My setup for this was actually so good I skipped the first three or so generations of SSD's and when I did make the move the SSD I got then was just barely better than the RAID and significantly smaller in storage size.

Now we have self defragmenting file systems and a fairly standard M.2 for instance has a write speed several thousand times that of spinning disks,

I'm sorry this has pretty much derailed the thread a bit, but mucking with page files, especially for gaming machines today trigger me a bit. It is simply so unnecessary for any home computer be, it for gaming or a workstation these days.

Actually, my page files are all static. I think for me it's more like a remnant from the days where paging was done to slow (and sometimes small) mechanical hard drives. That said, even if Morbad's correct, I have not seen any issues so far, with 16GiB of RAM and a static 4GiB page file. There doesn't seem to be any paging of user space memory to be going on at all, and memory in use peaks at about 8GiB. That's with SteamVR+WMR though, no idea about Oculus software. Typically, there'd also be an open instance of Firefox, EDDiscovery and MSI Afterburner while playing.

Mine is also static, only because I have my OS and page file on a small SSD that I need to carefully manage and need to know precisely what space is used where.

Wouldn't Elite crash if memory gets too fragmented? I don't know how it works on Windows, but I do know the memory fragmentation issue from Matlab on Linux, where memory allocations would start failing hard even though there was still available physical RAM (but no contiguous blocks large enough for the allocation).

Is this a thing on Windows?! Or does it just lower performance?

Yes, Elite can crash or fail to launch if memory gets too fragmented. This is one of the reasons for the page file. Page tables can map contiguous allocations of virtual memory to very granular physical memory locations.

It already does this. If you have the ram it will use the ram. This is proven by how many who disabled the page file and doesn't have issues.

Issues caused by disabling the pagefile rarely have anything to do with the actual physical memory required of an app, at least in most systems that can comfortably run this game.

If I disable my pagefile, Elite will have major issues on my primary system because of my custom settings. Despite only needing about 5GiB of physical memory, it sometimes needs to allocate ~15GiB of contiguous virtual memory addresses. Nothing is ever in that extra ~10GiB at all, and none of it is ever written to the page file, but Windows still needs to come up with huge blocks of sequential addresses backed by the commit charge or the allocation fails and the game either crashes or acts up.

You sent me down a proper internet rabbit hole TorTorden, some good learning so thank you.

However, what follows is way off topic from the OP so I'll put in spoiler, but in short
  • leave Windows to manage the pagefile or set an appropriate static size, it does a good job
  • and leave Superfetch on, Windows 10 will disable it automatically for SSDs
  • In a test SSDs started showing errors at 5 and a half years with 100gb writes per day, not that us consumers will come close to that usage.
The commit Charge is not how much the paging file is actually used, it's how much the system has allocated, in case it needs it.
So if you have it set to defualt, which is auto, it will grow significantly when you launch a large program.
I knew this but went looking for more information and:

In general, unless you have good reason not to, it's best to just let Windows manage the page file. No program data will be paged out to disk unless absolutely necessary and the larger pool of virtual address space tremendously improves how efficiently Windows can handle the physical memory you have.
This ^^ is the answer, leave Windows to do its thing or set a large enough static pagefile. Disabling it gives no improvement in performance.

If anyone wants more info then the following might be of use:

Regarding ED and VR memory use I've setup some proper monitoring now and on initial startup ED and WMR will use about 8.5gb of RAM with an appropriate commit. However, I have seen that the commit has grown considerably when I've finished playing so something is changing, I'm going to keep an eye on the actual RAM usage now.

Superfetch is a whole other kit and kaboodle, if you have recent machine with a fair amount of RAM, then you probably won't notice it,
If you have a recent machine with SSD's you don't need.
So it seems that Windows 10 will automatically enable/disable superfetch on each drive depending on what's most appropriate and will be disabled on SSDs.
Given that I still have spinning disks in my system I've re-enabled superfetch.
I have read some horror stories of people getting 100% SSD disk use before disabling, but there may be something else going on. For me I can't see a difference between on/off.
Further reading/viewing:

But having to limit SSD writes on an OS level will not do much, yes, they have a limited amount of writes to them but those are far more than most would ever reach.
For instance you would have to write an excess of 100GB to your M.2 for 50 years before you start seeing real degradation.
I have had mine for about two years and already considering upgrading.
I was really interested in this and found this from Techreport:

Some of the drives first started reporting errors between 200-300TB of writes.
One of my drives has a warranty of 300TBw or 10 years. At 100GB per day my warranty would run out after 8 years and 4 months and the first errors in the test would be ~5 years 5 months.

However, to be fair unrecoverable errors were way, way beyond that and realistically I will certainly will never come close to that level of use,
(although I do have a tendency to hang on to working drives for a long time with 2x ~12 year old drives in my current system.)

Right, back to defending stations.
For the alliance o7

Edit : missed the third point above

Last edited:
Well, this page file talk has been fascinating, gentlemen. Truly. But now I need some help. I bought the game in the recent steam sale prior to buyng all the PC parts, I think that was a mistake. I'm not seeing options form HMD quality and SS. I just have options for VR quality up to VR Ultra. The games looks nice, but I think it could look better. Do I have to buy frontiers own version?

It doesn't matter where you bought the game.

On Steam have you installed "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" ?
Also make sure you edit the text file if you want the SteamVR's equivalent of reprojection.

It doesn't tell you to do this anywhere. See this thread I did a while back if you need more info, I think it's all still accurate.

Edit :
Actually, if its an index you've got there's still useful info there. Have you changed the 3D setting in game to HMD Headphones?

Last edited:
Rift S should be plug and play. I'm assuming that you've installed both elite and oculus. If you go into Elite graphic settings and enable HMD it should launch Elite in VR, or else try Dr. Kaii's EDP application for 2D and VR launching of the game. A great Application for Elite.

EDIT: wait, you can play in VR and its the settings which annoy you, or you can't launch into VR ?.

Last edited:
I launch via Oculus or Steam, and it launches in VR. However, I've downloaded ED Profiler and will give that a shot. What's better High HMD Quality and Low SS, or the opposite?

1080Ti I run HMD at 2 and SS at 1, Elite/Oculus/EDP. The general consensus is to set HMD as high as your card can cope with and leave SS at 1.

Yeah, I have zero access to those settings because I bought it via steam. So even launching it in Oculus runs it in Steam because that's how it works now. My only option if I want to tweak settings and get better visuals is to rebuy the game. Kind of galling - I've purchased this game three times already: Xbox One, PS4, and Steam.

I'm gonna raise a ticket and see if Frontier will look kindly on me...

edit: Scratch that - ED Profiler does work, I just can't launch it from the profiler. Now to start tweaking...

Last edited:
I use my PS4 controller on my PC via a great little app called DS4, although to retain sanity with binding nomenclature I first set all bindings with a xbox controller, once done I swap to my PS4 controller. and all's good in fantasy land.
I thought about getting a HOTAS but decided against it due to yaw control. Being a old stick and rudder guy I couldn't see myself incorporating HOTAS and Rudder pedals into a "Lazy Boy" recliner, I love my chair :) Also the control pad provides two joysticks which makes flight control a breeze. Elite graciously provides 3 separate flight control modes, Normal, Alternate, and Landing Gear down, I've set bindings for Normal and Landing Gear down (gear activation enables different flight control bindings automatically),
The only difference between the two modes is RS control, in Normal flight RS lateral is yaw and longitudinal is vertical thrusters. With Gear down RS = lateral & vertical thrusters for landing pad, planet landings, and station fine control without yaw.

DS4;

Last edited:
Yeah, I've played ED with both PS4 and Xbox pads. The pad controls are, in fairness to Frontier, really intuitive and well thought out. The game is indeed a joy to play on a pad - no mean feat considering the complexity. But for me you can't beat a HOTAS setup, it just adds to the immersion.

Speaking of which, I've got my Thrustmaster to play nice. Updated the firmware which now allows me to switch to a different mode (via the "PS4" button), that stops the rocker on the throttle from being treated as the same input as the yaw on the stick (lolwut!). All is well now on the front. Next up is voice attack, and transferring my Xbox account assets to my PC one. I can't bring myself to transfer the 1.5b cr assets on my PS4 account...

Last edited:
Rift S should be plug and play. I'm assuming that you've installed both elite and oculus. If you go into Elite graphic settings and enable HMD it should launch Elite in VR, or else try Dr. Kaii's EDP application for 2D and VR launching of the game. A great Application for Elite.

EDIT: wait, you can play in VR and its the settings which annoy you, or you can't launch into VR ?.
I wonder if anyone is old enough to remember when Plug n Play was called "Plug and Pray"? - or when you had to set the hierarchy of devices in order for the PC to recognize them or even boot up in Windows 3.0? - Be glad those days are gone, believe me - geeze.

Custom autoexec.bat and config.sys files for each game.

Fun times.
VERY frustrating at times when the code didn't match the version # and had to find the proper version thru 5.6k 14.4k modems. - or lose connection and have to delete and start over.

Top Bottom