Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge V2.0

Fancy a shorter trip? The Buckyball Racing Club Season 2: Swift-16 Championship has just finished, but hop over to the BRC Discord to see what's in the works for 3310.

BcpCmEc.jpg

A* CHALLENGE RECORDS:
Current Record: 01:24:38 Cmdr Ravenov - Unstable Vortex (Anaconda)
Fastest Non-conda: 01:31:19 Cmdr ElitePenguin - Lonesome Phantom (Krait Phantom)
Neutron Class Record: 04:51:57 Cmdr Crotalus - Celeste (Krait Phantom)
Classic Class Record: 07:56:41 Cmdr Alot - Rhonda (Anaconda)
Fastest Non-conda (Classic): 08:38:07 Cmdr Darplata94 - Atrox (Diamondback Explorer)
Carrier Class Record: 17:15:18 Cmdr Darplata94 - Void Anchor

DOUBLE OR NOTHING RECORDS (Bubble to A* via Colonia):
Current Record: 01:52:27 Cmdr Ravenov - Wake Turbulence (Anaconda)
Fastest Non-conda: 02:40:26 Cmdr P|-|r34k3r - Neutron Dance (Krait Phantom)
Classic Class Record: 12:39:21 Cmdr Golden-Knight - Lonely Bachelor (Diamondback Explorer)

classic-records-05jan3310.png

p6fB2ta.png

unlimited-records-05jan3310.png

What is it?

The A* Challenge is simple: Fly from Sol (or Wolf 359) to Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the centre of the galaxy, and record your time for doing so.

Of course, this being an endurance run there is a little bit of challenge in that, not least the troubles of plotting routes in the galactic core. The clock starts on launch from Galileo / Lomas Orbiter, and ends upon arrival at Sagittarius A*. The time recorded is total elapsed time, so that includes any breaks, time asleep, at work, whatever. The clock doesn't stop ticking when you're offline.

Some take the challenge as a means to push the limits and see just how fast it can be done. Others have a go at just getting the best time for their ship class. Yet others are more about giving a permanent record of completing the trip, regardless of time. All are welcome to the A* Challenge.

The start line is Galileo in Sol, or Lomas Orbiter in Wolf 359 for those who don't have access to Sol.
The finish line is at Sagittarius A*.

Jw1Vlcv.jpg

Warning: This is a long way. 25,900 light years, give or take. This is the marathon of the racing world, not a sprint - expect to spend upwards of 12 hours in the cockpit. Also, route plotting in the galactic core can be challenging, to say the least. This thread helps to explain why (NOTE: Route plotter improvements since 3.0 have mostly solved this problem, but if you do have problems plotting, then Esvandiary's algorithm it still the likely solution).

Classes

Entries will be accepted in three classes: Classic, Neutron and Unlimited.

Classic Class entries must abide by the following regulations:
  • (Engineer-)modified modules are not permitted.
  • Enhanced Performance Thrusters are not permitted.
  • Items only available from technology brokers, including all modules based upon Guardian technology, are not permitted.
  • The use of materials synthesis (e.g. FSD Injection or AFM refill) is not permitted.
  • The use of FSD supercharging (from neutron stars or white dwarfs) is not permitted.
(This class is thus comparable to all previous runs, and available to Commanders who do not have the Horizons season pass)

Neutron Class is for entries that do make use of FSD supercharging from neutron stars (or white dwarfs), but would otherwise be eligible for Classic class (i.e. no engineering or materials synthesis).

Unlimited Class is for entries that do make use of (engineer-)modified modules, Enhanced Thrusters, items from technology brokers and/or materials synthesis (e.g. FSD Injection).

Rules and regulations

• Starting point is either Galileo (orbiting the Moon) in Sol, or Lomas Orbiter in Wolf 359 for those who don't have access to Sol. Record the start with a screenshot of the station clock on the launch pad.
  • Finish line is entry to the Sagittarius A* system. Record the finish with a screenshot of the galaxy map showing the time and date with current location as Sagittarius A*.
  • Entries only accepted for runs completed in Open Play, in the main game universe (runs in the beta universe(s) don't count).
  • The A* Challenge is open to any ship, and to players on any platform (PC, Mac, Xbox or PS4).
Like the Buckyball Runs, we operate on an honour basis here. There's nothing I can do to stop you from faking screenshots or using exploits. But where's the benefit in that? It wouldn't get you anything, except a lasting feeling of shame. This is all about doing the run for the fun of it, and because you can.

History

Record_History.png

Ever since that fateful day in 3301 when Cmdr Anuranium wondered how fast he could make it to Sadge, the record has been dominated by one class of ship. The only time the record has been taken away from the Anaconda - by Cmdr Alot in The Asp-X Big Bird - was at a time when us Buckyball Runners struggled to afford our rebuys during races, let alone racing-condas with class 7A fuel scoops.

So for those who fancy a little more variety, here is the history of the record for non-conda runs - the Formula-2 of the A* Challenge?

Non-Conda-Record-History.png

Back in early April 3301, Commander Anuranium turned up for Buckyball Run 7 after having only the week before conducted his own little private challenge. He'd posted a picture of his clock at Galileo station, and then posted another picture of himself at Sagittarius A* roughly 13 hours later. Many of the regular Buckyball crew were impressed by this, and it got us to thinking - would there be any demand for hosting this as a recorded race? It turns out the answer was yes...

This event started as the Buckyball Run A*, hosted by ElectricZ and Bucky. When that drew to a close after 3 months, we at the Buckyball Racing Club weren't prepared to let the challenge lie, so it has carried on ever since as The A* Challenge. Same rules (for Classic Class), same route, even the leaderboard was carried over, but sorry, no bumper stickers.

The A* Challenge was hosted magnificently from July 3301 to sometime in 3305 by Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr. In June 3305 Cmdr Drakhyr was declared missing, having been last contacted with his trusty Lakon Type-6 Explorer Deep Blue Yonder somewhere in Exteriores Australis.

In July 3305, I took over hosting the A* Challenge until such time as Cmdr Drakhyr returns, or his escape pod is recovered.

See below for a summary of notable feats in the A* Challenge, along with the history of the record times for each ship type.
  • 21 July 3301: Buckyball Run A* comes to an end, and The A* Challenge begins. At this point the overall record is 8 hours, 43 minutes and 43 seconds, set by Cmdr Alot in the Anaconda Rhonda, following close competition with Cmdr Kligg's Rub Tub. Second place was held by Cmdr Rusticolus with a time of 9 hours, 17 minutes and 30 seconds in the Asp Explorer My Bare Asp.
  • 2 August 3301: Cmdr Savanik became the 100th commander to complete the challenge, in the Asp Explorer We Made It.
  • 16 August 3301: Cmdr Farge secured the bottom rung of the leaderboard with a time of 104 days, 13 hours and 21 minutes in the Orca Explorca.
  • 8 November 3301: Cmdr StokeMeAClipper finally breaks Cmdr Alot's overall record after a little over five months, setting a time of 8 hours, 21 minutes and 13 seconds in the Anaconda Pinpoint 8. This marked the start of the very top competitors running without stellar body scanners in order to absolutely maximise jump range.
  • 6 December 3301: Cmdr Alot regains the top spot in Rhonda with a time of 8 hours, 7 minutes and 5 seconds.
  • 24 January 3302: Despite already holding the top spot, Cmdr Alot decided that he was nonetheless determined to set a better time. With the first attempt not quite achieving the target, Alot self-destructed and started again. After two complete runs within 24 hours, Cmdr Alot became the first commander to break the eight-hour barrier, setting a record time of 7 hours, 56 minutes and 41 seconds. This remains the overall record for a ship not using engineer modifications or boosted jumps (from FSD injection or neutron stars).
  • 25 February 3302: Cmdr Takaru Minari completes the challenge in the Anaconda Dawnbringer as the first leg of a fast trip to Beagle Point, reaching the far side of the galaxy in 25 and a half hours.
  • 20 March 3302: Cmdr Asier's run in the Diamondback Explorer A-D Zirconium is the first run completed in virtual reality, using the Oculus Rift (as well as setting a ship type record).
  • 17 June 3302: Cmdr Luke3107 became the 150th commander to complete the challenge, and the first to do so on Xbox One, in the Asp Explorer Insert Name Here.
  • 26 June 3302: Unlimited class commences, with the first run in an engineer modified ship. Cmdr Up2d4t3's Anaconda Goldie sets a new overall record of 6 hours, 24 minutes and 32 seconds.
  • 29 June 3302: Times in unlimited class start tumbling, as Cmdr Allitnil in the engineered Anaconda Paradox Drive breaks Up2d4t3's record after only three days, with a time of 5 hours, 29 minutes and 35 seconds.
  • 10 August 3302: Having previously proven to be a contender in Standard class (see entry from 8 Nov 3301), Cmdr StokeMeAClipper returns with an engineered Anaconda, Blacknight, to improve the Unlimited class record to 5 hours, 19 minutes and 22 seconds.
  • 4 September 3302: The competition in Unlimited class continues, with Cmdr Up2d4t3 returning for another run in Goldie, bringing the record time down to 3 hours, 59 minutes and 9 seconds. This remains the fastest time without making use of supercharged jumps from neutron stars.
  • 30 October 3302: While it had appeared that Cmdr Farge had an immovable grip on the bottom of the leaderboard, that proved not to be the case as Cmdr Matokla reported in, having finally reached Sagittarius A* after 218 days of travelling in the Asp Explorer Apollo 13.
  • 24 March 3303: Cmdr Allitnil returned for another Unlimited class run in Paradox Drive, using a new route and approach. The use of the neutron star superhighway (with its supercharged jumps) proved spectacularly successful, setting a new unlimited class (and overall) record time of 2 hours, 45 minutes and 39 seconds.
  • 25 June 3303: Cmdr Allitnil extends his proof of the use of neutron star supercharging to unengineered ships, making a point that the Hauler could get a significant benefit from this approach. The successful run in Highly Strung marks the start of the Neutron class with an impressive time of 6 hours, 27 minutes and 39 seconds.
  • 27 June 3303: Cmdr Alot returns to the course in the Anaconda Rhonda, this time in Unlimited class. With a route making full use of neutron star supercharging, Alot succeeds in improving the Unlimited class (and overall) record to 2 hours, 12 minutes and 13 seconds.
  • 24 September 3303: With an improved neutron star boosted route (and a bit of practice), Cmdr Allitnil returns in the Anaconda Paradox Drive to retake the Unlimited class (and overall) record to an amazing 2 hours, zero minutes and 58 seconds.
  • 3 March 3304: Following improvements to the benefits that can be gained from engineering modules, Cmdr Alot returned to the course in an upgraded Rhonda the Anaconda, breaking the two-hour mark to take the Unlimited class and overall record with a blistering time of one hour, fifty-five minutes and eleven seconds.
  • 24 March 3304: Cmdr Darplata94 takes the Diamondback Explorer Atrox down the neutron superhighway to set a new record for an unengineered ship (Neutron class) of 5 hours, 55 minutes and 28 seconds.
  • 20 September 3304: Reverse engineering of alien technology from the mysterious "Guardians" allows Cmdrs to achieve unprecedented jump ranges, Cmdr Up2d4t3 makes full use of these technological breakthroughs to take back the unlimited record once again in his Anaconda Goldie, with a time of one hour, fifty-three minutes and twenty-nine seconds.
  • 15 August 3305: Cmdr Numerlor shaves a mere 26 seconds off the existing unlimited record, setting a new record time of one hour, fifty-three minutes and three seconds in his Anaconda Raia.
  • 1 September 3305: Cmdr Up2d4t3 returned to the top of the table again in Goldie, arriving at Sgr A* 53 seconds faster than Numerlor, with a time of one hour, fifty-two minutes and ten seconds.
  • 19 and 21 September 3305: Cmdr turkwinif breaks the unlimited record twice in two days the Anaconda Liberty One, bringing the best time down to one hour, forty-six minutes and thirty-two seconds.
  • 23 September 3305: Cmdr Alot returns yet again in Rhonda to take back the unlimited record with a time of one hour, thirty-seven minutes and forty-seven seconds.
  • 27 November 3305: Cmdr Razor16251 makes an unlimited class run in the Anaconda Razcue on the Xbox-One console in a time of two hours, forty eight minutes and forty eight seconds, this is the first console time to ever break Cmdr Luke3107's original console record from June 3302.
  • 15 April 3306: Cmdr SilentPhoenix05 sets a new console record on Xbox-One of two hours, eighteen minutes and fifty one soconds in the Anaconda I Believe I Can Jump.
  • 30 April 3006: Cmdr Goosefraba19 becomes the tenth different commander to hold the overall A* speedrun record, setting a new unlimited class record of one hour, thirty-seven minutes and nineteen seconds in the Anaconda Phoenix.
mlH38No.png

gRoh5pC.png

Unlimited_History.png

How to enter

1. Read all of these notes before starting!
  2. Post your intent to race in this thread (optional, but should get you some good luck wishes and might lead to friend requests from others underway at the same time so you can track each other's progress). Include the following:
    • Your commander's name
    • Ship name
    • Ship type
  3. When ready to make the run, get to Galileo in Sol or Lomas Orbiter in Wolf 359. Make repairs, fuel up, ensure the ship is configured exactly how you want it for the run - it's a long way back if you miss something!
  4. Open the Outfitting screen and capture screenshots (F10) of your ship's configuration. Note that for this challenge, sufficient screenshots are required to cover all core internal compartments and all optional internal compartments.
  5. Return to the surface and prepare for launch (it is strongly suggested that you plot the first leg of your route before capturing a start time!). Remember, Open Play only (Solo or Private Group times don't count).
  6. Hit F10 to take another screenshot, or start your video capture, showing your start location, date and time.
  7. Launch and get going!
  8. Navigate your way to Sagittarius A*.
  9. Upon arrival in the Sagittarius A*, open up the galaxy map and take another screenshot showing your current position (i.e. the fact that you are in the Sagittarius A* system!) plus the date and time. Congratulations, you made it!
  10. Send a PM to me (Raiko), or email raiko <at> buckyballracing <dot> org <dot> uk, with the following:
    • Your commander's name
    • Your ship's name
    • Your ship type
    • Your total race time
    • Links to your screenshots: Outfitting, start time/location and finish time/location (if you've recorded video, please extract screenshots or short edited segments covering these three rather than just sending / linking to the entire video!)
    • Please let me know if any special conditions apply (see below) *
  11. Having completed the 25,900LY run from Sol to Sag A*, you now have a wonderful opportunity: to turn around and fly all the way back again, by your own route and at your own pace. Enjoy!
For more details on the information needed to evidence your race entry, including example screenshots, see the How to Enter page of the Buckyball Racing Club website.

* Special conditions include: runs made on Xbox One; runs made on PS4; runs made on Oculus (or other) VR; runs made while in a wing; use of supercharged jumps from neutron stars / white dwarfs.

Full leaderboards

gOlKPfx.png

wz8AwsJ.png

Unlimited_Board.png

AbMPnK3.png

rhGOCxC.png

CARRIER CLASS

carrier_class.png

DOUBLE OR NOTHING

Double_or-Nothing.png

Thinking of making a run? Fancy some advice? Why not join us in the BRC Discord?

Last edited:
Here is a summary of the runs from before I took over, quoted from page 2 of this thread:

I'll post a summary of the latest runs (since Drakhyr's last update) in this post ASAP.

SUMMARY REPORT AUGUST 3304 to MAY 3305

Apologies, I've never quite managed to find time to write up a full report of the runs since Drakhyr's last update and prior to me taking over hosting the A* Challenge.

I believe that the most significant event of that period was on 30-Sep-3304, CMDR Up2d4t3 took advantage of new technological breakthroughs to retake the Unlimited Class record with a great time of 01:53:29 in his Guardian FSD-Booster equipped Anaconda Goldie.

Congratulations CMDR Up2d4t3! o7

The galaxy held its breath for the expected response from CMDR Alot, but so far Rhonda the Conda remains in dock. Can any other CMDR step up to the challenge? Until they do CMDR Up2d4t3 is officially recognised by the Buckyball Racing Club as the fastest CMDR in the galaxy.

During this period the following CMDRs also made runs to Sadge, congratulations to each and every one of you.

CLASSIC CLASS:
15-Aug-3304, CMDR turkwinif, Anaconda, Liberty One – 08:05:42
12-Sep-3304, CMDR tomparkes1993, Sidewinder, Run#13.37 – 45 days 23h46m
16-Sep-3304, CMDR turkwinif, Alliance Challenger, Xeno Chew Toy – 14:38:22 – Class Record until 01-Apr-3305
23-Sep-3304, CMDR Darplata94, Alliance Crusader, Amoracchius – 15:20:53 – Class Record
15-Dec-3304, CMDR Darplata94, Krait Phantom, Lividus – 08:45:31 – Class Record
30-Jan-3305, CMDR Darplata94, Alliance Chieftain, Esperacchius – 12:11:20 – Class Record
01-Apr-3305, CMDR Darplata94, Alliance Challenger, Fidelacchius – 13:43:20 – Class Record

NEUTRON CLASS:

16-Sep-3304, CMDR Darplata94, Asp Explorer, Naja – 06:01:28 – Class Record

UNLIMITED CLASS:

11-Aug-3304, CMDR Crotalus, Federal Corvette, Calypso – 04:44:05 – Class Record
15-Oct-3304, CMDR Crotalus, Federal Dropship, Hecate – 05:23:22 – Class Record
15-Dec-3304, CMDR Crotalus, Magba, Polylepis – 05:20:41 – Class Record
31-Jan-3305, CMDR Howard Hughes, Anaconda, CONSTELLATION – 01:58:56
17-Feb-3305, CMDR Crotalus, Type-10 Defender, Tigris – 04:34:07 – Class Record
03-Apr-3305, CMDR Edelgard von Rhein, Federal Dropship , Hippogriff – 1 day 00h34m
19-Apr-3305, CMDR Boni58, Asp Explorer, Patanyska One – 03:46:06
26-May-3305, CMDR Crotalus, Viper mkIII, Enyo – 05:40:43 – Class Record

Last edited:
Raiko, you sir are a bloomin' hero for doing this ... bravo!

I'll give this a shoutout on "Best of Forum" when I get a moment.

Thanks Alec, I had a great time in the original Buckyball Run A*, so I'm happy to look after the event. :)

BTW, I've noticed that the links are mostly broken, as I copied them across from the old thread.

I'll fix as many as I can tomorrow.

I've got a request for any Neutron run veterans:

Would you mind sharing some tips to get new runners started on how to plan and execute a Neutron run?

I remember that Esvandiary posted a note about how he dived into them while plotting the next jump, but I don't remember anyone giving advice on planning a neutron star route.

Commander Crotalus
Ship type cobra mk iv
Ship Name Goldii
Time 14 hours 30 Minutes 13 Seconds
Open Unlimited
Neutron Stars and Guardian FSD Boost

wgMb71K.jpg

Kv5HZhE.jpg

I've been a bit too busy during the Se7en Sisters Speedway, but now that its over I'll try to get the outstanding reports and tables done for the A* Challenge.

Well done @crotalus. o7

...beware, I live!

Sorry for disappearing again, life got a little interesting for a while, and then after I got that under control I got a little distracted by some other games.

But I'm back, and still intending to make my Unlimited run in Joyeuse. Have to go J3 hunting first, though, which may take a bit of time.

Cool Rankaze, good to see you back. :)

I've taken a little break from writing race updates after running Seven Sisters Speedway, but I expect that I'll be able to get a big January 3305 post done this week with all those runs since Drakhyr's last update from the old thread, plus Crotalus' last run on here.

I've written "Asp-X Unlimited Neutron run in A* Challenge" on my ED to do list, so I am planning to get back out to Sadge in The Nomad myself, although when I'll find time to set it up is anyone's guess.

I'm hoping to manage before Alec's BRC race, but I've been having too much fun with Operation Ida.

Cool Rankaze, good to see you back. :)

I've taken a little break from writing race updates after running Seven Sisters Speedway, but I expect that I'll be able to get a big January 3305 post done this week with all those runs since Drakhyr's last update from the old thread, plus Crotalus' last run on here.

I've written "Asp-X Unlimited Neutron run in A* Challenge" on my ED to do list, so I am planning to get back out to Sadge in The Nomad myself, although when I'll find time to set it up is anyone's guess.

I'm hoping to manage before Alec's BRC race, but I've been having too much fun with Operation Ida.

I have gathered all my jumponium and am hoping to be able to run this weekend.

Since it's been a long while since I originally declared my intent to race, I should note the details:

Pilot: CMDR Timothy Knight (forum name: Rankaze)
Ship: BRC-84 Joyeuse, Imperial Courier (Jump range 53.71 LY with full fuel, 60.11 maximum)
Entry Class: Unlimited
Special: Guardian FSD Booster, FSD Supercharge (Neutron), FSD Injection

Did I forget anything?

I have gathered all my jumponium and am hoping to be able to run this weekend.

Since it's been a long while since I originally declared my intent to race, I should note the details:

Pilot: CMDR Timothy Knight (forum name: Rankaze)
Ship: BRC-84 Joyeuse, Imperial Courier (Jump range 53.71 LY with full fuel, 60.11 maximum)
Entry Class: Unlimited
Special: Guardian FSD Booster, FSD Supercharge (Neutron), FSD Injection

Did I forget anything?

Good luck

I might be doing a run this weekend

Very impressive.

Looks like I will probably not be able to make my run this weekend, between having to bring some work home with me and the sudden annoyance of a flat tire on my car that I had to go take care of. It was pretty much going to have to be today (have a family event tomorrow), and I don't really feel up to it at this point.

So... maybe next weekend (but maybe not, as there is some work stuff to deal with, then), or possibly the weekend after that.

Hi all,

I am going to start my very first SagA run, in unlimited class. Just making final preparations at Galileo and soon i'm underway. :)
Not going after any records, just want to do this for myself as this has been on my bucketlist for so long. (pun intended)
But if i can make this under 8 hours, then i am very happy camper. :)

Cmdr Henkka77
Ship type: Anaconda, unlimited class. Neutron boosts/Guardian FSD module.
Jump range: 80ly
Ship name: Reluctance

Hi all,

I am going to start my very first SagA run, in unlimited class. Just making final preparations at Galileo and soon i'm underway. :)
Not going after any records, just want to do this for myself as this has been on my bucketlist for so long. (pun intended)
But if i can make this under 8 hours, then i am very happy camper. :)

Cmdr Henkka77
Ship type: Anaconda, unlimited class. Neutron boosts/Guardian FSD module.
Jump range: 80ly
Ship name: Reluctance
Bravo and good luck. Definitely a thing worth doing ... still remember my own run many years ago with fond memories!

Top Bottom