Anyone else hunting for new US/Thargoid sites? Added candidate sites

By my side, all the candidates has already been investigated. It is still possible that new TS like TS 229 will be accidently discovered or that other TS suddenly appear like TS 227 or the Outotz st-i one, which was not present in the 2.4. But I do believe we’ve done the job. Maybe they’ll open HIP 22460 one day or another to introduce a new feature (The Enclave ?).

I still don’t understand why several very good systems like HIP 19761 doesn’t contain TS or why such poor candidates like TS 71 or TS 93 does have one. It doesn’t make sense for me. There’s still “holes” in the tharg bubble that could have been filled with good TS candidates. But is there a meaning to that?

Oof - that's overly optimistic :)

I know... though it's also kinda tragic that what I'd see as a basic plot set-piece is perceived as optimistic ;)

I dunno... the whole stage seems set to find Barnacles in a location we haven't observed them in yet. If the "new source" turns out to be Witch Head or California Sector, it'll be a total cop-out IMO... and in that context, just finding yet-more-barnacles would be incredibly basic for our brand-new "dev-led Interstellar Initiatives"

I know... though it's also kinda tragic that what I'd see as a basic plot set-piece is perceived as optimistic ;)

I've a very optimistic idea of how the II will go: the data we deliver will magically lead Aegis to identify a permit locked region as full of barnies. The PF will remove the lock in the region, but leave it surrounded by a still permit locked region (to make sure no harmless explorer may inadvertently enter it and throw a tantrum on the forum when he's reduced to space debris with his precious data) thus creating an Enclave (did I hear someone say Conegate?). Then we will have another CG to build a ferry megaship that will be used to enter the region, like the Bridging the Gap one, only this one will actually make sense because it will be the only way to enter the Enclave. Once inside, we'll find ourselves in a densely thargoid infested area, with tons of barnacles but also tons of aggressive interdictions, etc. Each week, we'll have to defend the ferry megaship from thargoid attack scenarios, and load it up with MAs through missions. At the end of the week, the megaship will haul a number of MA tonnes depending on how good/bad we did back to Delphi - and this will influence the MA availability in the Delphi market. This will become the new activity of choice for AX guys and bold traders.

What I believe will happen: Aegis will say "ehy thanks", keep the data and maybe in a month or so we'll be given a new location to scout for barnacles.

Last edited:
I've a very optimistic idea of how the II will go: the data we deliver will magically lead Aegis to identify a permit locked region as full of barnies. The PF will remove the lock in the region, but leave it surrounded by a still permit locked region (to make sure no harmless explorer may inadvertently enter it and throw a tantrum on the forum when he's reduced to space debris with his precious data) thus creating an Enclave (did I hear someone say Conegate?). Then we will have another CG to build a ferry megaship that will be used to enter the region, like the Bridging the Gap one, only this one will actually make sense because it will be the only way to enter the Enclave. Once inside, we'll find ourselves in a densely thargoid infested area, with tons of barnacles but also tons of aggressive interdictions, etc. Each week, we'll have to defend the ferry megaship from thargoid attack scenarios, and load it up with MAs through missions. At the end of the week, the megaship will haul a number of MA tonnes depending on how good/bad we did back to Delphi - and this will influence the MA availability in the Delphi market. This will become the new activity of choice for AX guys and bold traders.

What I believe will happen: Aegis will say "ehy thanks", keep the data and maybe in a month or so we'll be given a new location to scout for barnacles.

Huh... Although I had thought about the concept of a permit-locked region unlocking (though that would be as-yet unprecedented), the idea of FD using a megaship ferry into an unlocked "bubble" within a locked zone is a novel one... though also somewhat contrived. Still, would be different and an actual use for the megaship ferry idea...

Where are we with this? I presume we have searched all candidates by now? Is the search over?
Hi mate, well I haven't done any searching since then, been busy fighting 'goids with a little bit of hauling here & there. I am planning to get back to it at some point, how many systems are left to search?

By my side, all the candidates has already been investigated. It is still possible that new TS like TS 229 will be accidently discovered or that other TS suddenly appear like TS 227 or the Outotz st-i one, which was not present in the 2.4. But I do believe we’ve done the job. Maybe they’ll open HIP 22460 one day or another to introduce a new feature (The Enclave ?).

I still don’t understand why several very good systems like HIP 19761 doesn’t contain TS or why such poor candidates like TS 71 or TS 93 does have one. It doesn’t make sense for me. There’s still “holes” in the tharg bubble that could have been filled with good TS candidates. But is there a meaning to that?
Hey :). Have you searched all the possible candidate systems listed by EDMC's patrol?
I don't understand the gaps either.

Redden Alt-Mer
Nice idea :), fingers crossed!
Btw, also in this Enclave Thargoids will be in supercruise & can interdict you! Now that would up the ante!

Last edited:
Posting this here as it's relevant to my thread :).

I made an analysis of Thargoid presence in Witch Head. It's easy to see that this area shows analogies with the Pleiades, as NHSS appear in systems that are not under an active incursion nor, to the best of our knowledge, under a pending incursion state. I consequently assumed it follows the same rules of the Pleiades "bubble", i.e., a spherical area centered around a system within the nebula. I first tried the easy way, i.e., locating a Thargoid Sensor in a NHSS within the Witch Head in the hope that it pointed to the center of the area, but they still point to Merope (whether this is deliberate, or fdev didn't bother to update them is open for discussion).
So, I reverted to the "manual" approach and surveyed a number of systems moving from the nebula towards the "outside" until I found systems that were not spawning NHSS. In most directions, this coincides with the border of col70 (or a few LYs from it). Once I got enough systems, I calculated an approximate center and looked for nearby systems. This led to identifying that the Witch Head Thargoid Bubble is centered on:

Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 and has a radius of 75Ly

The system's extremely dull (no landables, mostly ice balls) but shows a massive Thargoid presence (>100 signals).

Here's a list of the systems I surveyed manually, along with their distance from Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 and the presence of NHSS:
Code:
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector LI-S b4-0: 65.32Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector DQ-Y c2: 59.05Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector JN-S b4-0: 71.58Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector HR-W d1-6: 73.23Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector AQ-P b5-0: 62.62Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-11: 57.48Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector RU-O b6-0: 97.41Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GG-Y c1: 65.63Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector MI-S b4-0: 47.16Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CB-W b2-0: 76.80Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector JC-V c2-2: 71.86Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector VO-Q b5-0: 93.77Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector KN-K b8-0: 89.15Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector OT-Q b5-0: 71.98Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> HIP 23370: 62.63Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector RD-S b4-0: 56.43Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector ZK-O b6-0: 51.46Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector VU-O b6-0: 61.70Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector EG-Y d5: 75.87Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector HW-W b1-0: 67.13Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector VJ-Q b5-0: 67.91Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector BL-X b1-0: 71.25Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector LC-V c2-7: 44.05Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector IH-V c2-5: 54.03Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector AA-Z b0: 72.25Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GC-L b8-0: 100.39Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector IH-V c2-3: 64.44Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector MN-S b4-0: 68.20Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector AF-Z b0: 82.09Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CL-Y d12: 76.82Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GW-V b2-0: 60.35Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector ZE-A d12: 78.72Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector VU-P b5-0: 76.59Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector TU-O b6-0: 69.81Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CW-M b7-0: 77.13Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector QI-S b4-0: 75.23Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector QD-T b3-0: 65.95Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector IX-K b8-0: 85.36Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector KI-S b4-0: 72.11Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GW-W c1-6: 35.35Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector RI-T b3-0: 30.73Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector WT-A b0: 86.82Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector WZ-P b5-0: 38.23Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GW-W c1-1: 21.30Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector YE-A d9: 87.26Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CL-Y d13: 71.39Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector EB-X c1-8: 49.76Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector KS-K b8-0: 95.11Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector EB-X c1-0: 66.98Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector LH-V b2-0: 41.95Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector UD-T b3-0: 61.68Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector PI-S b4-0: 60.87Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector PI-T c3-0: 110.28Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector EM-M b7-0: 64.14Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector YE-A d12: 56.73Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector DL-Y d12: 59.97Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector JM-W d1-6: 71.69Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector XP-O b6-0: 64.62Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector WU-O b6-0: 73.84Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CL-Y d7: 72.26Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GH-M b7-0: 74.37Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector HH-U b3-0: 78.29Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-1: 76.80Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-2: 72.95Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-3: 60.68Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FG-Y d15: 66.31Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FG-Y d14: 76.33Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CG-X b1-0: 80.96Ly: No
This result has been further confirmed by data collected through Canonn's EDMC Plugin (thanks to @LCU No Fool Like One for the late night data extraction):
List of systems with NHSS in a 400Ly range from Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9
unknown.png

TODO:
Since the freefloater TS found in a NHSS T5 in Witch Head pointed to Merope, I'd be curious of seeing if a TP would behave the same (i.e., still point to merope 5c and use that as a reference system). My guess is yes, as it would be a rather massive pain in the to upgrade and probably not worth it - but if anyone has a spare one and wants to test it I'd be happy to know the result :)
20190726212704_1.jpg

A new area to search for possible new Thargoid structures, I'm just debating whether to go there right now myself, & which ship to take.
Anyone else fancy investigating?

Btw, as a side note I visited spansh.co.uk to draw up a list of suitable systems to search, & the whole site has changed! I can't seem to find how to filter by planet type now :(. [edit] Nm, found it :), it's under sub type!

Last edited:
Just 27 systems to search! :), here's my search list, if anyone else wants to see.

Systems searched for Thargoid surface signals :-
Witch Head Sector DL-Y d9
Witch Head Sector DL-Y d11

Last edited:
Nope, just the 2 I've listed ;), I wasn't on for long last night.

Cool re decoder, not that I'd know how to get the message offhand anyway :oops: , something about a TP, TSensor & TL & putting them in the central chamber....I think.

Ok, I got through about a third of the list last night, not so much as a barnacle seen. Just a bunch o' lousy bark mounds and geysers. I do wish one of the various search apps had a way to do joined queries, would be nice to filter for systems with an ammonia-containing body AND at least one landable body. Several of these have none of the latter.

Also, I forget, what are the stats for TSes popping up in systems that have neither an AW nor a AGG, but just a planet with ammonia in the atmosphere? Worth doing an expanded list once we finish with these?

Ooh, looks like with the new forum I can directly paste a table from EDD. So here's what I hit (EDIT - now with intermediate systems removed):

Witch Head Sector JC-V c2-31 Star(s), 9 Other bodies
Witch Head Sector JC-V c2-3 1 is a water world
Witch Head Sector JC-V c2-3 3 is an ammonia world
Witch Head Sector IH-V c2-13 Star(s), 13 Other bodies
Witch Head Sector VU-O b6-01 Star(s), 11 Other bodies
Witch Head Sector VU-O b6-0 1 is an ammonia world

Witch Head Sector IH-V c2-91 Star(s), 33 Other bodies
Witch Head Sector IH-V c2-9 6 is a terraformable planet
Witch Head Sector JH-V c2-01 Star(s), 23 Other bodies
Witch Head Sector JH-V c2-0 7 is a terraformable planet
Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-71 Star(s), 11 Other bodies
Witch Head Sector IW-W c1-23 Star(s), 14 Other bodies
Witch Head Sector IW-W c1-2 A 4 is an ammonia world
Witch Head Sector SN-T b3-01 Star(s), 18 Other bodies
Witch Head Sector SN-T b3-0 6 is a terraformable water world
Witch Head Sector KR-W c1-01 Star(s), 6 Other bodies
Witch Head Sector KR-W c1-0 1 is a terraformable planet
Witch Head Sector KR-W c1-0 3 is an ammonia world
Witch Head Sector DQ-P b5-01 Star(s), 18 Other bodies
Witch Head Sector GG-X b1-01 Star(s), 30 Other bodies

Last edited:
Good job cmdr :), btw, if you want to save some time, you don't need to probe the planets if all you're getting is a geo or bio signal from the FSS, you only need to probe planets with a Thargoid signal (they can either be barnacles or Thargoid Structures).

Also, I forget, what are the stats for TSes popping up in systems that have neither an AW nor a AGG, but just a planet with ammonia in the atmosphere? Worth doing an expanded list once we finish with these?

Looking back at my op, of the 1st 227 TSs that I checked the ACW type, 220 had either an AW or a GG with ABL, which works out to 96.9%. So until/if we find a TS in the Witch head sector, it's not worth looking at the very weak candidate systems. Get the low hanging fruit 1st :).
Re filtering bodies, true it would be quicker, but scanning is so quick anyway, it;s not much to lose :), oh & you can skip all icy bodies if you like, although I do scan them just to get a full system scan.

So, amalgamating our 2 lists, so far we've searched :-

System searched ................... By
Witch Head Sector DL-Y d9 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector DL-Y d11 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector JC-V c2-3 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector IH-V c2-1 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector VU-O b6-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector IH-V c2-9 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector JH-V c2-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-7 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector IW-W c1-2 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector SN-T b3-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector KR-W c1-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector DQ-P b5-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector GG-X b1-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector KC-V c2-5 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector HW-W c1-2 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector HW-W c1-3 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector DL-Y d22 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector HW-W c1-4 (Assim1)

Last edited:
Good job cmdr :), btw, if you want to save some time, you don't need to probe the planets if all you're getting is a geo or bio signal from the FSS, you only need to probe planets with a Thargoid signal (they can either be barnacles or Thargoid Structures).
Heh, thanks for the tip, but this isn't my first rodeo. :) I definitely didn't probe them all, just a few bios to see if there's anything besides bark mounds out here now. (Answer: not that I've found)

Looking back at my op, of the 1st 227 TSs that I checked the ACW type, 220 had either an AW or a GG with ABL, which works out to 96.9%. So until/if we find a TS in the Witch head sector, it's not worth looking at the very weak candidate systems.
Yeah, that sounds fair then.

Ah, no worries ;)

(updated list)
System searched ................... By
Witch Head Sector DL-Y d9 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector DL-Y d11 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector JC-V c2-3 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector IH-V c2-1 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector VU-O b6-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector IH-V c2-9 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector JH-V c2-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-7 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector IW-W c1-2 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector SN-T b3-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector KR-W c1-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector DQ-P b5-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector GG-X b1-0 (Maolagin)
Witch Head Sector KC-V c2-5 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector HW-W c1-2 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector HW-W c1-3 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector DL-Y d22 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector HW-W c1-4 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector FG-Y d1 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector KC-V c2-3 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector MX-U c2-1 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector DL-Y d20 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector EG-Y d9 (Assim1)
Witch Head Sector HR-W d1-6 (Assim1)

Last edited:
List now fully searched (Bar Witch Head Sector IM-W d1-6 which has no landable Rocky Bodies).
So it seems that Witch Head has no Thargoid Structures to be found, unless they are a long way out from where the NHSSs are ocuring, which seems very unlikely.

TBH I think its unlikely that we would find new structures anywhere that has been mapped unless the sites are being grown as opposed to repaired. I think we coulld assume that mycoid reached as far as Outotz and possibly beyond into the permit locked regions.

Massive Thargoid hot spot in Witch Head Sector DL-Y D10
Hello. I just found today on my way back from Barnards Loop a massive thargoid signal hotspot. I had about +100 non human signals. I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this posting, but I was clearly suprised regarding the amount of xeno signals here and since I haven't seen in Galnet any system in the top posting for thargoid activities, I guess you are really interested in that. So I wanted to let you guys know.
It seems to be, that all (I'm not sure about it, cuz I haven't scanned all) signals are at the Star Witch Head Sector DL-Y D10 B in the system, which contains a gas giant, but no planets for landing.

Additionally, the system is next to starsystem Evangelis, with about 520k citizens (so no big space station but still planetary landing pads.

See screenshot below for Thargoid scan in VSS.

Hope there are some xeno-hunters who could travel with a carrier over there and kick some alien-butts :)

Have a good day,

Roflk1ll3r

Attachments

• Elite Dangerous_20200614114901.jpg
    Elite Dangerous_20200614114901.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Ah haven't seen any action in this thread for a while!

Thx for your reply Roflk :), but this thread isn't about hunting Thargoids but hunting (finding) new Thargoid sites (structures).
I suspect what you've come across is a regular ocurance in that area, but I've not been that way for ages, nor have I read about it in a while either. So I suggest you post to this thread & see what they say (y)

TBH I think its unlikely that we would find new structures anywhere that has been mapped unless the sites are being grown as opposed to repaired. I think we coulld assume that mycoid reached as far as Outotz and possibly beyond into the permit locked regions.
Late reply I know ;), but is their any way we can know that all systems within 150 LYs of Merope have been mapped? I'm still wondering if their are any RBs with thin ammonia atmospheres that have been missed? Even if they've been mapped, have they been scanned?
In my op I've got a note about your patrol program still having 100 systems left to scan, were they done?

Late reply I know ;), but is their any way we can know that all systems within 150 LYs of Merope have been mapped? I'm still wondering if their are any RBs with thin ammonia atmospheres that have been missed? Even if they've been mapped, have they been scanned?
In my op I've got a note about your patrol program still having 100 systems left to scan, were they done?

They were all done.

That reminds me. I completed my Thargoid site survey documentation and there are additional research ideas in there.

It is also worth noting that the Thargoids are holding an open house policy and all sites are opening without needing any thargoid item in your SRV making it a great time to visit

Good to know they were all scanned :), I'll update the op shortly.
And good job on the survey :cool:, one of us has been busy on this front at least! ;). I'll read that shortly.

Very hospitable of the Thargoids! Lol

Top Bottom