First time playing on PC and VR - Intel or AMD??

Had a great time with the game this evening. The following settings were great for me:

I'm yet to test out RES site, but I responded to a distress call at a big Commerce Facility in Edentitis and played that fine with no drama. Even went on to use voice attack and had no issues. Really awesome having William Shatner as your ship's computer. :)

edit: I might put bloom back on. The floodlights at stations look like flat boards of white without it.

edit: I might put bloom back on. The floodlights at stations look like flat boards of white without it.
Those rays were heavily accentuated in CV1, makes the god rays worse. I've also dialled Gamma down a bit to blacken blacks.

You're using standard HUD colours, pfffft, get with it please :). low intensity green for me, works well with orange/yellow/amber backgrounds, planets, sun etc.

Last edited:
Ah yeah, when I tweaked those the other night, the in-game colours also changed. So I switched back.

Yes it took me ages to tweak green in order to retain colour accuracy, but worth it,.I think Kaii's preset green was tweaked to retain colour accuracy, I'll post my "warm" green later today when I'm at that PC.
My green;
0.25, -0.03, -2
-2, 2, 2
2, 0, 0.57

Last edited:
Had a great time with the game this evening. The following settings were great for me:

I'm yet to test out RES site, but I responded to a distress call at a big Commerce Facility in Edentitis and played that fine with no drama. Even went on to use voice attack and had no issues. Really awesome having William Shatner as your ship's computer. :)

Great to hear

Regarding the gamma, and blackness of space. Is there any chance there's a mod somewhere to just change the star background? Playing last night it's abundantly clear that FDEV's space texture is not black. I was at a commerce facility last night, and the shadowed parts of that large space station were darker than the blackness of space.

That's just daft!!

@dunno I tried your green GUI, but I wasn't keen on the pink in Analysis mode. To be honest, after testing a few, I think I simply prefer the stock HUD colours. :)

On another note, it would appear that I get frame choppiness when landing at the likes of Felicity Farseer no matter the detail settings I choose. :(

On another note, it would appear that I get frame choppiness when landing at the likes of Felicity Farseer no matter the detail settings I choose. :(
I doubt that all of NASA's super computers as GPU's would help, In Elite some stations and planets are jerky, whether it's card drivers, Elite, or both I don't know.

EDIT: I'm thinking of upgrading my CV1, Rift S or HP?.............

Last edited:
The Reverb is LCD, just like the Rift S. So you'll see the benefit of higher resolution with the Reverb, but coming from the OLEDs on your CV1 you may just hate the black levels (on the Reverb or Rift S).

I'm keeping an eye on what Pimax are doing.

Went to Dav's Hope to do a load of material farming. Oh dear! Choppy stutteriness all over the place. :( After a lot of experimenting, switching to the default VR Medium settings got it running smoothly. In fairness, it still doesn't look that bad. But the overall performance, and the amount of tweaking I have had to do for this in VR has, ultimately, been disappointing.

Given the specs of my PC, that's pretty shocking. Shows how poorly optimised this is for VR, and how little effort FDev are putting into the VR aspect of the game these days.

Went to Dav's Hope to do a load of material farming. Oh dear! Choppy stutteriness all over the place. :( After a lot of experimenting, switching to the default VR Medium settings got it running smoothly. In fairness, it still doesn't look that bad. But the overall performance, and the amount of tweaking I have had to do for this in VR has, ultimately, been disappointing.

Given the specs of my PC, that's pretty shocking. Shows how poorly optimised this is for VR, and how little effort FDev are putting into the VR aspect of the game these days.
I don't do SRV work in VR for that reason, that jerkiness and stuttering in VR induces nausea within minutes and no amount of trying to acclimatise has reduced the "barf syndrom", otherwise I can play/work :) for hours in VR doing tons of combat flopping about all over the sky with no ill effects, even the drifting and sometimes jerky FSS background doesn't induce nausea (exit to desktop to fix this).

I plan/execute all SRV work in 2D, and no nausea or broken immersion due to fiddling with this or that and the fun factor is retained.

EDIT; I was watching Obsidian and Yamiks live stream Rebel, nothing there to entice me from Elite. It's sad that F-Dev don't realise the gold mine that they're sitting on with Elite VR, many folks start Elite in 2D then progress to VR and stay there. I glean that many newcomers would love to jump into VR but can't due to Hardware costs but it's still their dream it keeps them going. If Elite was VR optimised then the hardware costs would be substantially less and bring more people into VR.

Last edited:
Well, this morning before work I did some more testing. I'd read late last night about dropping the SS value below 1.0, and also lowering the draw distance because, in VR with the Rift S you're not going to make out much in the distance anyway. So I cut the draw distance in half, and lowered the SS to 0.5, and whacked everything else up, HMD left at 2.0. I also went into the Oculus settings and turned off Oculus' own anti-aliasing - something I had not done before!

I went down to the planet just outside Ray Gateway, and landed at a point where the sun was rising/setting, so shadows everywhere. I deployed my SRV and ... smooth as silk, but it was a rather soft image. So I upped the SS to 0.75. Looked good enough, and still super smooth in the SRV.

So I went back to Dav's Hope, fearing the worst - nope! It was all good, I could sense a little ASW kicking in now and then, but otherwise it was great, and that was with all the terrain and shadows on ultra. So thinking it was perhaps Oculus' own anti-aliasing that was causing the performance dip, I upped the SS back to 1.0.

Nope. While not as bad as last night, it was still rather choppy at times. So I dropped the SS to 0.85 ... aaaaaaannddd ... that appears to be the sweet spot, the slightest stutter here and there, but otherwise all good. Text is still clear, not sure if shadows looked better at 0.75 though, they appeared a little jagged at 0.85 where they didn't at 0.75.

I'm going to download the Oculus Tray tool to test my actual FPS. But I have at least now found some settings that will afford decent quality visuals in VR no matter what I do or where I go. :)

You have 10 bananas, your Dad gives you enough bananas that you have twice as many bananas in total, but the monkey at the zoo steals half of them away.
How many bananas do you have ?

That's what setting SS to 0.5 and HMD-Q to 2 does it's the same as running both at 1x, just with more steps.
Going slowly back up a little to 0.85 SS leaves you at the same place as setting HMD-Q to about 1.3x and SS at 1x.
That is also considered the point of highly diminishing returns as the cost in performance compared very very small improvements to picture quality.

But also remember, the Oculus quality setting is a 1.2x to start with, so what you have there is about the same as a CV1 user running at 1.443x.

Dav's hope has always been a bit wonky\broken.

Also, fps is a very bad metric for VR.
What you want to look at is the frame generation timing that you want to around 11ms, use the debug overlay in the Oculus debug tool.

Last edited:
You know what, the difference between 1.0 SS & 1.5 HMD, and 0.75 SS & 2.0 HMD is not much.

I was ready to settle for 0.85 SS, but that completely ruins asteroids in planetary rings. Something just goes wrong with their edges.

You know, I think I prefer 1.0 SS and 1.5 HMD. :) Played for ages tonight with little issue. However, pinning the desktop in the game and running netflix in a browser does hit performance a little. But only a little. :)

Last edited:
You have 10 bananas, your Dad gives you enough bananas that you have twice as many bananas in total, but the monkey at the zoo steals half of them away.
How many bananas do you have ?

That's what setting SS to 0.5 and HMD-Q to 2 does it's the same as running both at 1x, just with more steps.

That's what I originally thought too, until I did it reversed and set SS to 2 and HMD-Q to .5 and noticed that the image quality and frame rate were different. I could be completely wrong here but I'm thinking that the HMD-Q setting is the display resolution pre post-processing effects like DoF, blur, etc while the SS is after post processing.

What really annoys me is that the folks that know aren't telling...

Hey frontier, what is the preferred way of setting SS and HMD quality, or, is it better to set Super Sampling in Oculus Debug and lower SS in Elite ?, which has the least overhead Frontier ?. Is Oculus Pixel density post or pre-processing, is it more beneficial than SS in Elite?, Pray tell.

EDIT: I set HMD from 2 to 1.75 and SS 1 for both, There's a noticeable difference in clarity, I prefer HMD=2. I also tried some bloom again and quickly set it to off because it causes the Cockpit canopy lights to flicker (Chieftan) very unpleasant and obnoxious, god rays are also amplified with bloom on.
1080Ti, CV1, 7700k

Last edited:
Yeah, I've gone back to turning bloom off, lights are bright and glaring enough already, there's just no need for it. Had a mammoth 3+ hour session last night. Now grabbing mats for Todd McQuinn to make my multicannons lighter. :) Still need to get some more mats for G5 with Felicity Farseer. Once I've done that and added mass manager, I'll go look at the Guardian stuff - need that FSD Booster!! I'm looking forward to seeing that massive Gaurdian installation in VR. :)

I'll go look at the Guardian stuff - need that FSD Booster!! I'm looking forward to seeing that massive Gaurdian installation in VR. :)
Ah yes FSD range, there is a point of diminishing returns. I first tried A grading everything and quickly realised that this isn't the way to go with regards to max FSD range, optimising ship weight via careful selection of all category of modules (power/weight ratio) is of great benefit to FSD range, more range can be extracted from a weight optimised module (engineered) selection than just relying on one brut of a drive, but that depends on ship and intended use.
e.g. My combat ship has a braced/robust FSD no need for huge jump ranges, what for, its going to operate in the 'burbs. With regards to exploring, well I don't get the MASSIVE HUGE jump range quest, more credits are earned from exploring via "Economic" mode than vast distant jumps apart, For long distance travel far better to use the neutron highway, then explore by economic route instead of fastest, butt...there's always a butt,

Crafting is a mystery mon :cool:

Last edited:
Ha, I don't need to worry about credits. After my recent purchases have 1.4billion cr to spend - yes, I bit the bullet and transferred my PS4 assets. I've been down the FSD range rabbit hole several times. It's interesting building ships with really low class power plants that are overcharged to give enough juice, and tweaking/modding everything, including turning off certain modules so that you don't use power unless needed, just to keep the ship running with an optimal FSD range. :)

Top Bottom