XB1X 1080p vs. PS4 Pro

The XB1X version is hands down graphically better than the PS4 Pro version, even when the Pro is set to quality mode. If it weren't for the fact that all my purchases are on the PS4, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to play the XB1X version over the PS4 version. The only thing you miss are the extra four buttons from the DualShock 4 touchpad.

It's not even a question, the graphics are just better on the XB1X.
I did A LOT of research last year before buying my 1X, regarding which console would produce the best graphics and frame rates while playing ED. Everything pointed to the 1X. Fortunately all of that research paid off and I am loving ED on the 1X.

How does the XB1X 1080p Quality Mode compare to PC ultra settings?

Also, I can't help but notice how many "Switching to PC" posts there are on the PS4 forum (though I suppose that's more $$ in Frontier's pocket). I don't recall XBox suffering from such a mass exodus. I'm assuming that's because the XB1X is more on parity with a decent PC, at least when it comes to ED, no?

What's the framerate in 1080p quality mode? Also, I'd love to see some screenshots! I'm particularly interested in shots with lighting that really emphasizes shadow quality (sunset at a planetary base, a sunlit station at different distances, etc). Links to existing screenshots would be fine, as long as they are XB1X quality mode.

Neither framerate nor shadow quality is very good on Xbox One X. I play in 1080p and Quality mode but the only real difference I notice between Performance and Quality is the planetary surface, which is visibly more detailed in Quality. Shadows are the same (not very good in general). Framerate is not stable either. It's unlocked, 60 fps at max, but only during supercruise or normal flight in a light environment (light as in details). Planetary rings, combat, and especially in and around space stations the framerate is constantly lower, even down to 25-40 fps, depending on various factors. It's nowhere near as fluid as the PC videos. Planetary surfaces are very smooth, it's mostly 60 fps without a hitch on X, except when near surface settlements, then it drops to 25-40 (just a guess, I have no way to measure it accurately), sometimes even lower. To be honest, I don't see very much performance difference between the two modes. 4K is terrible either way so I'd not use that until the next console comes out which will finally have a proper CPU, not this Jaguar mess.

I haven't personally seen the game on PS4 Pro but I don't think there's much difference between the two. Anyhow, I'd recommend waiting for the next console from either manufacturer. Due to backward compatibility both PS5 and Scarlett will play previous generation games, finally with adequate performance.

Neither framerate nor shadow quality is very good on Xbox One X. I play in 1080p and Quality mode but the only real difference I notice between Performance and Quality is the planetary surface, which is visibly more detailed in Quality. Shadows are the same (not very good in general).
Wait, what? Shadow quality is the primary reason I'm considering the defection!

Anyhow, I'd recommend waiting for the next console from either manufacturer. Due to backward compatibility both PS5 and Scarlett will play previous generation games, finally with adequate performance.
Well if shadow quality truly is rubbish on XBox, then I might as well just get a PC.... :(

ps - I get the sense that not everyone in this thread agrees regarding the quality of the shadows.

Well if shadow quality truly is rubbish on XBox, then I might as well just get a PC.... :(

ps - I get the sense that not everyone in this thread agrees regarding the quality of the shadows.
Come back to the dark side of PC gaming...you know you want to ;)

As much as I love my One X... this screenie wasn't taken on it.

vUvAPVY.jpg

Last edited:
Come back to the dark side of PC gaming...you know you want to ;)

As much as I love my One X... this screenie wasn't taken on it.
So do you have ED for both XB1X and PC? If so, tell me about the differences please! You may have noticed I have a "sister" thread about ED on a laptop, so I am considering both alternatives.

So do you have ED for both XB1X and PC? If so, tell me about the differences please! You may have noticed I have a "sister" thread about ED on a laptop, so I am considering both alternatives.
Apart from the obvious peripheral support which is the main reason I went back to PC from Xbox a few years ago...I do like my flight sims.

For ED, the differences are once again native peripheral support... and fully configurable graphics options/quality. As good as the Xbox 1x is, doing a side by side comparison even on a 4K monitor just adds up to how configurable the PC version is and the sheer amount of graphical options and tweaks available. Like I said, I love my 1X, but I don't go comparing too often.

Just a small sample of basic graphics quality menu options from my Dr Kaii's ED profiler...

D7baUI8.png

Last edited:
Just a small sample of basic graphics quality menu options from my Dr Kaii's ED profiler...

D7baUI8.png
Nice! I was under the impression that XB1X was close to PC with Ultra settings (@1080p), but it's beginning to sound like that's not the case. The big plus the XB1X has is price, but since I already have a gaming console, I'm leaning more and more to PC (specifically a laptop) as then that upgrades a variety of experiences for me, not just gaming. That said, I'll remain a console gamer regardless. I've got lots of titles on my PS4 that I just love, and I only see using the laptop for ED and perhaps a couple other niche (simulator or CIV-like) games.

ps - I'm not transferring my save, as my PS4 CMDR has too much history to just erase it all. Sadly most of the community I "grew up with" has moved on to PC, so I guess that's another reason to consider PC vs. XBox.

Whatever I choose, this thread has been helpful! Thanks all :D

I play elite dangerous on my OneX Quality mode on an 1080p tv and it looks 10x better than the original xbox i had for years.

Here my screenshots https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/hasslethehofff/screenshots.

I cant compare the consoles as i dont have both, you might get an OneX for £300 in a sale maybe. But PC is a step beyond, you can clearly tell the improvement in an PC screenshot to an OneX screenshot.

I prefer flight sims and fps on console and use my pc for strategy games, just preference.

Nice! I was under the impression that XB1X was close to PC with Ultra settings (@1080p), but it's beginning to sound like that's not the case. The big plus the XB1X has is price, but since I already have a gaming console, I'm leaning more and more to PC (specifically a laptop) as then that upgrades a variety of experiences for me, not just gaming. That said, I'll remain a console gamer regardless. I've got lots of titles on my PS4 that I just love, and I only see using the laptop for ED and perhaps a couple other niche (simulator or CIV-like) games.

ps - I'm not transferring my save, as my PS4 CMDR has too much history to just erase it all. Sadly most of the community I "grew up with" has moved on to PC, so I guess that's another reason to consider PC vs. XBox.

Whatever I choose, this thread has been helpful! Thanks all :D
I should add that all that research I did last year was Xbox 1 vs Xbox 1X vs PS4 vs PS4 Pro. I did not look @ PC because I prefer consoles due to cost and convenience. From memory the reseach led to the following conclusion: 1X / PS4 Pro/ PS4 / XBox 1 in order of quality of graphics, frame rate etc. Of course if you can afford a decent gaming computer and don't mind all the extra fiddling, PC is the obvious choice.

Last edited:
I won't transfer, I'll start from scratch. Still, that would make me double-plus irate.

Speaking of, nobody has answered my original post - how does XB1X compare to PS4 PRO. If Sony finally lets the Pro go on sale like they do the Slim, that would be the obvious upgrade. I actually bought the Pro last year, but for the price the improvement over the base PS4 just wasn't worth it IMO. I'm under the impression that XB1X is lightyears better than the Pro when it comes to ED (Frontier apparently doesn't understand the PS4 that well), but I know somebody out there has both and can give me a straight answer. Heck, post a couple of comparison screenshots!

Where is Digital Foundry when you need them?
Digital Foundry were raving about the 1X when it came out, they did a ton of comparison videos playing various games on the 1X and the PS4 Pro, so that would certainly have influenced my decision. But they didn't do ED, they only seem to be interested in the top sellers, not OUR very niche space sim game, so I did my own research......

Last edited:
When it came to buying a new console to play RDR2...I did look at the PS4 pro since I haven't owned a Playstation since the PS2, mainly for one of the PS exclusive games, Ghosts of Tsushima...but...10 years on the Xbox sealed the deal for me and I went with the familiar.

Recent changes with Microsoft offering Gamepass Ultimate which ties in both my Microsoft PC titles and Xbox library, pays for Xbox live gold with the gamepass games with some non Steam exclusives like Metro Exodus now also being on PC/Xbox via gamepass has made that a good decision at the end of the day. Not before time Microsoft did that to be honest. It saved me some cash too since I won't have to pay for it until next May...it refunded me my Xbox live gold and Gamepass subs when I signed up for £1.

Seems now that all the major publishers are offering monthly/annual subscription based game clients since E3...I already have Gamepass Ultimate, Origin Access premiere (EA Access on Xbox)...now we've got Uplay+ from Ubisoft (PC exclusive unfortunately). All of them good deals and value for money...all the major ultimate edition versions of every game, old, new and upcoming from all the major publishers for an annual sub less than the cost of one ultimate edition game from any of them?

Origin Access premiere costs me £75 annually...already paid for itself since last year alone I've had FIFA 19 Ultimate, Battlefield V ultimate, Anthem legion of dawn edition and Star Wars Battlefront 2 ultimate edition plus a few blasts from the past like all 3 Mass Effect titles with all DLC, Battlefield One ultimate with all DLC.... all the new games are VIP access 3 days before general release.

Count me in for the other offerings from Ubisoft...Ghost recon breakpoint ultimate edition 3 days early plus every Ubisoft game ever released or to be released?... Sold :)

Last edited:

It depends on what shadows you mean specifically. Shadows on Xbox One X, regardless of mode, are very soft and often shimmering. They are generally OK, but nowhere near as sharp and defined as on PC, especially from a distance. When on a planetary surface, the SRV's shadow is pretty good, no big problems there, but I regularly notice the soft and shimmering shadows in the cockpit for example. Not a big deal when you're turning and the shadows move, but when you're still and light comes it at an angle, you can see it being not very high quality. Similarly, shadow pop-in is a huge problem, especially on space stations, surface settlements and slightly undulating planetary surfaces. See my video from around 0:48 - that shot was taken facing the star while flying parallel to the surface and the small shadows there are shimmering too much... I almost threw the shot out, it bugged me so much.
(Also, the video is a collection of photos taken on X, see if you can find any reference for shadows you're looking for.)
Source: https://youtu.be/qelXlGTwyis

I hate shimmering, popping shadows!!!! This is the number one reason I'm dissatisfied with ED on PS4. Was it always this way for XBox, or did you get hit with a shadow nerf bat like we did during the 2.4 updates?

Meanwhile, shadows in most the other games on my humble PS4 look pretty good if not Amazing (Spider-Man, punny). GRRRRRRR!

It depends on what shadows you mean specifically. Shadows on Xbox One X, regardless of mode, are very soft and often shimmering. They are generally OK, but nowhere near as sharp and defined as on PC, especially from a distance. When on a planetary surface, the SRV's shadow is pretty good, no big problems there, but I regularly notice the soft and shimmering shadows in the cockpit for example. Not a big deal when you're turning and the shadows move, but when you're still and light comes it at an angle, you can see it being not very high quality. Similarly, shadow pop-in is a huge problem, especially on space stations, surface settlements and slightly undulating planetary surfaces. See my video from around 0:48 - that shot was taken facing the star while flying parallel to the surface and the small shadows there are shimmering too much... I almost threw the shot out, it bugged me so much.
(Also, the video is a collection of photos taken on X, see if you can find any reference for shadows you're looking for.)

6:53 on your video is me in the pink courier haha, nice video!

Duck shadows and reflections are always going to be dubbed down to improve performance on consoles, the one X is just an improvement on the first gen consoles. I bet pc minimum requirments look garbage screenshot wise

Duck shadows and reflections are always going to be dubbed down to improve performance on consoles, the one X is just an improvement on the first gen consoles. I bet pc minimum requirments look garbage screenshot wise
One man's bad shadows is another man's "those are fine" shadows. I have a parallel thread about ED on PC, and one of the CMDRs uploaded a video comparing different shadow qualities, and even the low quality shadows on PC look way better than the rubbish* we have on PS4. Here's an example of what I have to deal with:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpNjYnviL6I

If you follow the link to my YouTube channel, you will see plenty of examples of the broken shadows and EBL. It's actually gotten worse since I uploaded these, as the new lighting system just amplifies the terribleness of the DDS & EBL.

I'm guessing XB1X shadows are better than this!

* the rubbish is ED, not my PS4, as none of my other games suffer from shadows like these

Rats, I forgot to look at this! I should have opportunity to again later this week (I'm normally on a bandwidth cap which means no YouTube). I'm interested to see what you're describing here!

Top Bottom