Civilian Compartments

I was happy with the addition of Size 1 Compartments because I can cram another utility module in, but the complaints of Health inflation were certainly valid. It makes me wonder, why not just implement the reverse of Military Compartments with Civilian Compartments? The added Size 1s would be prime candidiates. Would allow the possibility for ships to have more utility without inflating Health.

Doing this to the new class 1 internals seems kinda pointless to me. Unless someone has filled every single module slot on their ship with SCBs, HRPs, or MRPs, they could always downsize 1 of their modules (like an interdictor) to size 1 and use the larger slot that was vacated for a HRP, MRP, or SCB.

Using the FDL as an example, players would not be able to fit the ship like https://s.orbis.zone/42h1, but would still be able to fit the ship like https://s.orbis.zone/42h4. Note that the ship build that is still allowed with the resticted size 1 slot has MORE hull hitpoints and BETTER resistances than the ship build that isn't.

I honestly am not really in favor of more slot restrictions; where does it end? There are already these nonsense slots reserved for only one type of module (planetary approach). In the case of planetary approach modules, there is no benefit to removing the module and nothing that can replace it. The existence of the slot is unnecessary clutter.

Slot restrictions are either pointless like this or they make outfitting unnecessarily complicated. Logically they don't make much sense either. If you have the SPACE and the POWER, why can't you put whatever you want in there?

I honestly am not really in favor of more slot restrictions; where does it end? There are already these nonsense slots reserved for only one type of module (planetary approach). In the case of planetary approach modules, there is no benefit to removing the module and nothing that can replace it. The existence of the slot is unnecessary clutter.

Slot restrictions are either pointless like this or they make outfitting unnecessarily complicated. Logically they don't make much sense either. If you have the SPACE and the POWER, why can't you put whatever you want in there?

I totally agree, we do not need more locked slots. the removal of the passenger slots was really good change.

I put the planetary approach module in the same category as the other fixed slots, like Powerplant, FSD, etc... but since there are only one module, it does not make much sense, and to have multiple versions does not make much sense either, as what would be the difference between the variants?

In the case of planetary approach modules, there is no benefit to removing the module and nothing that can replace it. The existence of the slot is unnecessary clutter.

I put the planetary approach module in the same category as the other fixed slots, like Powerplant, FSD, etc... but since there are only one module, it does not make much sense, and to have multiple versions does not make much sense either, as what would be the difference between the variants?

I expect the planetary approach module, like the SRV, are a part of planned future additions.

Regarding what variations could there be for planetary approach modules; I'm not sure, but I expect atmospheric planets may use a separate one, once that's implemented.

I expect the planetary approach module, like the SRV, are a part of planned future additions.

Regarding what variations could there be for planetary approach modules; I'm not sure, but I expect atmospheric planets may use a separate one, once that's implemented.
Good thoughts. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised that the planet orbiting functionality wasn't part of the planetary approach suite options instead of being a flight assist option.

I was against removing passenger only slots on the three passenger ships. Now just three more biowaste haulers.
The community worked to get military slots only, a good idea.
Everyone has a better idea eh?

I was against removing passenger only slots on the three passenger ships. Now just three more biowaste haulers.
Everyone has a better idea eh?
Or more PvP beasts; I've seen some impressive PvP wins by a... Beluga of all things.

Hauling stuff is the most basic thing you can do in a ship, just makes sense that anything could be retrofitted as a freighter.

The extra C1 Slots aren't really what led to hitpoint inflation, tbh. Engineering is the guilty party in that area.

Also, the passenger ships are still the only ones that can carry those luxury cabins, or whatever. So they're still special and unique, they're just also useful for other things.

I was happy with the addition of Size 1 Compartments because I can cram another utility module in, but the complaints of Health inflation were certainly valid. It makes me wonder, why not just implement the reverse of Military Compartments with Civilian Compartments? The added Size 1s would be prime candidiates. Would allow the possibility for ships to have more utility without inflating Health.

The boat has sailed. The limitation would've made perfect sense when those slots were introduced. The suggestion was made at that time, it was ignored.

By now the slots are filled. So what should happen with the new restriction? Should the slots be automatically emptied? Then people loose equipment. Affected people will be unhappy. We don't need that.

Should equipment there stay? Then i'll just leave my armour in those slots, never to remove it again. A permanent advantage for me. But unfair towards new player, so again a bad move.

So unfortunately adding the limitation now, so much later, is not reasonable. But as others already expressed: the problem are not the slots themselves. A mere un-engineered C1 HRP makes very little difference. It's the fully engineered C1 HRPs which matter so much. So really: hit engineers with the nerfbat and hit them hard. That would solve a number of issues the game has and improve the situation a lot. I just also know that FD doesn't dare to try that again. :(

The old passenger slots could be used for cargo racks. The ships are no more capable of biowaste hauling now than they were before the slots were unrestrcted (not counting the additional size 1s).
what exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean restricting HRPs, MRPs and SCBs to military slots? If you do, it would probably simpler just to rebalance engineers since a large number of players have fitted these modules in unrestricted slots (see Sylow's post).

Or more PvP beasts; I've seen some impressive PvP wins by a... Beluga of all things.
HRPs could be fitted to the restricted passenger slots (for some reason), so the majority of PvP liners wouldn't have changed that much since the slots became unrestricted.
Hauling stuff is the most basic thing you can do in a ship, just makes sense that anything could be retrofitted as a freighter.
This really. Provided that you have the internal space and access paths to store, load and unload cargo, there is no reason why you couldn't put a cargo rack there. Considering that all of our optional internal slots (with the exception of military slots which are likely just bilge spaces that extra armour gets shoved into) have cargo access paths and the internal space to store said cargo, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to fill all of them with cargo.

Top Bottom