VR is a niche (2)

Once VR is at this point, I give it 10 years, then it will be only way to interface. Anyone wondering... this is VR in the short run series Caprica which is precursor to modern Battlestar Galactica a few years back.
1-Caprica-Holoband.jpg

Once VR is at this point, I give it 10 years, then it will be only way to interface.

only for what needs that level of immersion. other than entertainment or simulation there is no point nor advantage in fully disconnecting from the outside. more often than not that will be a hindrance and will discourage use. mixed reality all the way, and i expect it to look just like current regular glasses once the tech gets sorted out.

So do you believe that the majority of players will use VR in 5 years?

Majority? No, not for a good few years at least, but VR is growing and will continue to do so - in five years we may be approaching a healthy number of VR players if the tech continues to improve at the rates it currently is. Quite a few VR owners don't even 2D game anymore, myself included. Did I think pretty much everyone would have a mobile phone in their pocket back in the late 80s / early 90's? I mean the devices were laughable and couldn't even provide the quality of a landline! So at the outset I didn't see them being where they are today.

VR bridges the gap between playing a game an being in one, that is something many people have dreamed about since being a small child and is an extremely powerful experience, the tech is here now and much like mobile phones will continue to develop as time goes on and adoption increases. At some point in the future I certainly can see VR/AR becoming the main way we consume media of all types. For some, that is a scary concept but some people just don't like change and others are very quick to parrot biowaste to defend that.

I really wouldn't give a monkies about Elite if it were not for VR, I would have stopped playing it long ago.

Last edited:
Majority? No, not for a good few years at least, but VR is growing and will continue to do so - in five years we may be approaching a healthy number of VR players if the tech continues to improve at the rates it currently is. Quite a few VR owners don't even 2D game anymore, myself included. Did I think pretty much everyone would have a mobile phone in their pocket back in the late 80s / early 90's? I mean the devices were laughable and couldn't even provide the quality of a landline! So at the outset I didn't see them being where they are today.

VR bridges the gap between playing a game an being in one, that is something many people have dreamed about since being a small child and is an extremely powerful experience, the tech is here now and much like mobile phones will continue to develop as time goes on and adoption increases. At some point in the future I certainly can see VR/AR becoming the main way we consume media of all types. For some, that is a scary concept but some people just don't like change and others are very quick to parrot biowaste to defend that.

I really wouldn't give a monkies about Elite if it were not for VR, I would have stopped playing it long ago.
The question was if VR becomes mainstream when the PS5 gets released.

I'll be so kind and ignore the last part of your post.

Last edited:
The question was if VR becomes mainstream when the PS5 gets released.

Funny, I didn't see 'PS5' in your last post at all. I answered your other post though (So do you believe that the majority of players will use VR in 5 years?) in my last post. Although I think that kind of question is a little ridiculous if I'm honest - I mean what technology do you know of that would gain anywhere near that sort of traction in so little time? Mobiles - didn't, Motor cars - didn't, even the technology you are championing didn't take over from the good ole wireless for decades. So if I'm honest I don't see where you are trying to get with that sort of question. PS5 and the rumoured upgraded VR experience will very likely be successful in my opinion, Sony wouldn't continue to invest in VR if it thought it was a fade and nor would a social media giant like Facebook if they deemed the tech to be anti-social.

Last edited:
Funny, I eat and drink in my HMD, I have vaped (on my own) without issue and speak to my other half on a regular basis while in VR. I don't have children so I cannot comment on that. Like many, I tend to game with other people online not with them sitting in the same room as me which is actually more socialable due to the built in mic so people tend to actually talk, usually and much like if I'm watching a movie my focus will be on the medium not on the people in the same room as me so wearing a HMD or not has little to no impact.

(Ewwww smoking indoors... filthy and very anti-social)
I prefer to be in my headset when I have a room full of people. Otherwise I can't hear/pay attention to anything, not to mention people have this irritating habit of being in between myself and the screen at the worst possible time

Funny, I didn't see 'PS5' in your last post at all. I answered your other post though (So do you believe that the majority of players will use VR in 5 years?) in my last post. Although I think that kind of question is a little ridiculous if I'm honest - I mean what technology do you know of that would gain anywhere near that sort of traction in so little time? Mobiles - didn't, Motor cars - didn't, even the technology you are championing didn't take over from the good ole wireless for decades.
You might want to read the entire discussion before you quote me... ;)

You might want to read the entire discussion before you quote me... ;)

Oh no, I was initially replying to that one post of yours, in particular the points you made which I quoted, hence why I provided context in the form of a quote. I then replied to your reply (again with a quote for the sake of clarity), which didn't have any real response to my previous post and contained only the question "So do you believe that the majority of players will use VR in 5 years? ", which of course I then replied to. I did read the entire topic btw, but when I post I don't need to be replying to the thread as whole and when providing a quote it should be pretty obvious that someone isn't and that they're actually discussing the points contained within said quote.

If wanted to reply to your overall contribution to the thread I would have multi-quoted you and tackled each point in a clear way, if I was just posting to discuss the overall theme and direction of the discussion I wouldn't have provided any quotes at all.

I prefer to be in my headset when I have a room full of people. Otherwise I can't hear/pay attention to anything, not to mention people have this irritating habit of being in between myself and the screen at the worst possible time

HMDs certainly do have that advantage.

Last edited:
Oh no, I was initially replying to that one post of yours, in particular the points you made which I quoted, hence why I provided context in the form of a quote. I then replied to your reply, which didn't have any response to my post and contained only "So do you believe that the majority of players will use VR in 5 years? ". I did read the entire topic btw, but when I post I don't need to be replying to the thread as whole and when providing a quote it should be pretty obvious that someone isn't and that they're actually discussing the points contained within said quote.

If wanted to reply to your overall contribution to the thread I would have multi-quoted you and tackled each point in a clear way, if I was just posting to discuss the overall theme and direction of the discussion I wouldn't have provided any quotes at all.
The post you quoted was a direct response to a very specific claim. It's not my fault when you are putting it out of context.

Last edited:
only for what needs that level of immersion. other than entertainment or simulation there is no point nor advantage in fully disconnecting from the outside. more often than not that will be a hindrance and will discourage use. mixed reality all the way, and i expect it to look just like current regular glasses once the tech gets sorted out.
Idk this seems like 'nerve gear' type stuff right outta sword art online. I'm pretty sure given the opportunity, almost every gamer on the planet would prefer full dive as opposed to mixed reality or augmented reality

The post you quote was a direct response to a very specific claim. It's not my fault when you are putting it out of context.

Ummm - nah I don't think so...

But it's also not fun to play with other people in the same room, you can't smoke, eat and drink. You can't talk to the wife or children. You never know if someone is standing right next to you.

Hardly PS5 specific, the above is a view of how you perceive VR in general and not how your perceive VR on a PS5. It would be impossible to take the above out of context, those are you views on the downsides of playing in VR - no matter the platform the HMD is used on. I merely stated that I had done all of above in VR, without any problem other than speak to children as I don't have them. I'm not asking for you to agree with me, I'm merely stating that I haven't had such issues.

Last edited:
Ummm - nah I don't think so...

Hardly PS5 specific, the above is a view of how you perceive VR in general and not how your perceive VR on a PS5. It would be impossible to take the above out of context, those are you views on downsides of playing in VR - no matter the platform the HMD is used on.
The context is that I was talking about VR in its current / PS5 like form and that I don't believe it will be mainstream due to the PS5 launch on all platforms. I don't know what's so hard to understand about it.

The context is that I was talking about VR in its current / PS5 like form and that I don't believe it will be mainstream due to the PS5 launch on all platforms. I don't know what's so hard to understand about it.

There is nothing I'm not understanding. I'm merely stating that the downsides you precieve and listed in your post, the things you claim are not possible (the part I originally quoted for clarity), I have done and have done with ease in VR. Is there something you are finding difficult to understand here?

Last edited:
Sorry i don't have 2000$ for a pair of fancy goggles. And no, I am never ever buying anything from facebook.
The facebook aversion I can't help you with sadly but the Oculus Quest is £399 off the shelf, VR ready and no PC/fancy graphics card required. Mind you it won't play Elie but then, if you already have a decent PC for Elite then you can still get VR via several headsets for under £500, so about a quarter of the price you mentioned.

There is nothing I'm not understanding. I'm merely stating that the downsides you precieve and listed in your post, the things you claim are not possible (the part I originally quoted for clarity), I have done and have done with ease in VR. Is there something you are finding difficult to understand here?
Well obviously you can eat, drink and smoke while using a HMD. I never assumed someone could interpret my comment in such a stupid way.

Idk this seems like 'nerve gear' type stuff right outta sword art online. I'm pretty sure given the opportunity, almost every gamer on the planet would prefer full dive as opposed to mixed reality or augmented reality

sure, for gaming (entertainment) no doubt. i meant general use, as a common interface to computing or daily use of (gasp!) the cloud :D

sure, for gaming (entertainment) no doubt. i meant general use, as a common interface to computing or daily use of (gasp!) the cloud :D
Like going to virtual college classes? Although it would be entertaining, the actual purposes would be educational. You could attend a class hosted by a professor from an astute University possibly in a different country without leaving your living room.

Well obviously you can eat, drink and smoke while using a HMD. I never assumed someone could interpret my comment in such a stupid way.

Interpret? There was nothing to "interpret", if you don't mean something then perhaps you shouldn't write it. So your post, if I strip out what you didn't actually mean boils down to:

Not sure about that. While VR is impressive, I only used the Oculus Rift for a couple of hours before it became annoying. First there are the obvious technical issues, like low resolution and comfort, but this can be addressed in the future.

Other than the annoying part I couldn't agree more.

Top Bottom