PBSF suggested HOTAS Setup.

I have (re)-started to use my HOTAS-1 since I was not able to use it for logistic reasons... I have almost kept all the keybinds / combinations on the same place of the pad, because I want to learn to fly with it and then work on the layout (which I know it's better for quite a number of features).

I have the headlock toggle on the B1 trigger, but it doesn't seem to work for me... I mean, it doesn't toggle anything at all. Do I have to set it up differently? I believe that's one of the default bindings...

I have (re)-started to use my HOTAS-1 since I was not able to use it for logistic reasons... I have almost kept all the keybinds / combinations on the same place of the pad, because I want to learn to fly with it and then work on the layout (which I know it's better for quite a number of features).

I have the headlock toggle on the B1 trigger, but it doesn't seem to work for me... I mean, it doesn't toggle anything at all. Do I have to set it up differently? I believe that's one of the default bindings...
Hold the toggle and move the hat switch around. You can't invert the Y axis on hotas either, unfortunately

By any chance, is the headphone issue solved? I used the pad with the headphones for the audio (but this workaround doesn't work anymore for me)... is anyone here using a USB headset plugged directly into the console?

Just to clarify: I use a controller alongside my hotas, just for the sound & mic. You can use both as long as you start the game with the hotas first

Hah! That's why... I start the game with the pad and then I switch to the HOTAS, when I do this the mic isn't working anymore (pad looks disabled) so if I do the contrary (I mean starting the game with the HOTAS) does it work? I had also the chatpad and lost the use of that too.... I'll give a try then

Just got a Hotas and it is not allowing me to move or select a system or even giving me an option to go to the tab to type in the system name. Who ever designed this setup never played the game. Checked in the options an I am not getting the option to make changes for the controller. I am wondering if it might the HOTAS

Just got a Hotas and it is not allowing me to move or select a system or even giving me an option to go to the tab to type in the system name. Who ever designed this setup never played the game. Checked in the options an I am not getting the option to make changes for the controller. I am wondering if it might the HOTAS
Did you start the game with the hotas? Sometimes it won't work if you start the game with a controller first.
Also try unplugging it and plugging it back in.

I only had the HOTAS plugged in. I did try the unplug and plug it back in before your response and tested it out a bit on the training to see if it works.

It is working and thanks 07

I recently purchased the HOTAS setup myself, mostly for the increase in control and button combinations as compared tot he standard elite controller. Mapping was a longish process for me, I started with one of the presets and then tweaked it for my use. Took some time but I finally have it where I want it.

I play on my Xbox from a recliner and as you can imagine, setting up the HOTAS for that wasn't exactly easy. Mostly trying to come up with a stable base that was both usable and not much strain on the arms during extended play. Since I make things, I decided to go all in and make something really nice to house the HOTAS controllers.
I also added a small standard wireless keyboard for those trips to the galaxy map and general comms use.

I love this rig now, but I'm curious what you all think. Anything may I might improve it aside from adding a cup holder?

Last edited:
Hey guys, stupid question time! Finally decided to try learn how to use my HOTAS and I'm having issues with the FSS. I activate it and it asks me to press and hold Y to honk only when I do that it does nothing. If I quickly press it makes the sound as if I was starting to scan. Holding the Y button in normal flight brings up the context menu so it doesn't seem to be a HW issue. Any thoughts? Am I being an idiot (more than normal)?

Edit: I can work around it by honking outside of the FSS.

Last edited:
It's Y inside the FSS, and secondary fire (for me) in supercruise. I always honk on entering anyway, so I never need the Y option.
Have you put the discovery scanner in a firegroup?

Top Bottom