Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Arrived back at The Planet That Tried to Kill Me and a little part of my love for ED died.

In the system map, there is my name as first discoverer of every body in the system, and as first mapper of The Planet That etc. And we know that the system map doesn't actually mention bio sites, but once the planet is mapped they appear in the nav panel. Yet, despite planet 5 being fully mapped, no bio sites are listed. With a weary sigh, I fire up the FSS, select planet 5 and zoom in. And the FSS proceeds to fully scan the planet all over again before it will tell me that there are geo and bio sites on this body. What the actual...? So I go to planet 1, same story. And it's the same for every body in the system.

So despite the fact that the system map knows I have scanned all 40-something bodies in this system, and fully mapped at least two of them, the location of the POIs is revealed nowhere that I can see, and using the FSS forces a rescan before it will reveal their locations. facepalm

Anyway, brain-numbing frustations aside, this is a pretty interesting system. There are 10 major bodies circling a B-class star, and planets 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 8 have bio sites, and most have multiple POIs. So far I've visited three - the original where I nearly lost the ship on planet 5, and today I ticked off two out of four on planet 1, and they've all been pumpkings/anenomes. It'll be interesting to see if that's true of all of them or if there's some variety.

Yes. The mapping. Initially I’d arrived in systems, people had tagged a body as discovered and mapped but I needed something from it so I had to map it. I had hoped that someone else mapping it would have just given me that POI info. That it hadn’t I figured, well, maybe that info ‘in game’ would just be held in the ship’s databanks (the one that scanned it), that seemed fair enough.

As you have found though, ships just discard that info. Very frustrating. Best of luck out there.

Best of luck out there.
Thanks! The other frustration has been the one-mapped-all-mapped visual bug. As soon as I go into analysis mode, every planet gets the mapping overlay, which makes it difficult to actually map them since you can't see where your probes have coverage. :mad:

On the upside, I've now had a lot of high-g landing practice with no further mishaps. And I've visited two of the bio POIs on all of the life-bearing planets - all pumpkins and, disappointingly, all the same variety of roseum bioluminescent pumpkin.

Asp got a new coat of paint back in Colonia, so here she is basking while I figure out where to go next.

Thanks! The other frustration has been the one-mapped-all-mapped visual bug. As soon as I go into analysis mode, every planet gets the mapping overlay, which makes it difficult to actually map them since you can't see where your probes have coverage. :mad:

On the upside, I've now had a lot of high-g landing practice with no further mishaps. And I've visited two of the bio POIs on all of the life-bearing planets - all pumpkins and, disappointingly, all the same variety of roseum bioluminescent pumpkin.

Asp got a new coat of paint back in Colonia, so here she is basking while I figure out where to go next.
I don't think I'd dare to call a bioluminescent pumpkin the size of an average house "disappointing". :LOL:

edit: Also - that star has an awesome colour.

On the re-mapping thing, silly question incoming...

Does the planet and, ergo, the POIs, need a confirmation by A. N. Other before the discovery "sticks" as it were?

The data needs be sold to the CARTo people at a station/base before you get credit for it....

Absolutely correct.

What I was asking though, was that Rustnsawdust had to remap a planet to get the POI's to appear on the nav panel so I wondered whether that all needed a second pilots confirmation before the POI's stayed "discovered" without need for a another map.

Absolutely correct.

What I was asking though, was that Rustnsawdust had to remap a planet to get the POI's to appear on the nav panel so I wondered whether that all needed a second pilots confirmation before the POI's stayed "discovered" without need for a another map.

Ah...So, When I have reentered into a known system with sites that I have scanned before.
An initial FSS honking on jumpin. Will show the planet has sites in the FSS scanner.
But, I still need to launch one or two DSS probes when I arrived to make the site target-able for landing.
Not sure which galactic computer system is losing my data. I think i need the commodore 64 limpet controller added..8)

I think I'm going to hop over to Jameson Memorial for some shippy window shopping.

I was wondering though. For my next ship, I may start looking into the Corvette or the Cutter... what one would you pick and why? I need some more Imperial ranks but I'm an admiral so the Fed's are happy with me.

I think I'm going to hop over to Jameson Memorial for some shippy window shopping.

I was wondering though. For my next ship, I may start looking into the Corvette or the Cutter... what one would you pick and why? I need some more Imperial ranks but I'm an admiral so the Fed's are happy with me.

I’ve had a couple of Cutters, both times I ended up selling them, considering them too much hard work to get right. A lot of gun mounts needs a lot of engineering. To A-Rate it cost a bomb, half a billion at least. The annoying thing about it is the HUD. The right hand panel is almost invisible against the dash.

As I have moments of impatience when shopping I would get the one I had rank for now.

That aside I would pick the Corvette first due to its seeming much easier to turn than the Cutter also the Cutter doesn’t seem enough better than a T9 nowadays to justify the cost difference even in these cash abundant times.

Rustnsawdust had to remap a planet to get the POI's to appear on the nav panel
I still don't have a clear understanding of how the mechanism works - or is meant to work - but eventually when I flew out to planet 5 (the one I'd already mapped) the POIs appeared in the nav panel when I got within DSS distance. Which I guess is OK by way of reducing clutter in the nav panel. But not ideal in a scenario where you may have mapped 5 or 6 planets, can't remember which had a particular bio site, and you have to fly within DSS range to get the POIs to show up.

So, it's not as bad as I first thought, but it isn't as good or as logical as I hoped.

Edit for clarity: I didn't have to re-map a planet, but to see which had POIs, I had to rescan them in the FSS.

Last edited:
I'd vote for the Corvette. It's just such a fun ship, and feels so powerful.

The Cutter is big, feels big, flies big. It's awesome for carting stuff around. But I don't care for how it flies enough to use it for other things.

Get both eventually, though. They are both worth experiencing, very much so.

100 junps from landing in Colonia. Cannot wait to get these driving gloves off
If you're not already there yet, make sure to spread your explo-data around. Getting allied with the major factions really helps with early money-making opportunities (especially since superpower ranks are meaningless out there). Make sure you're allied with Colonia Council - they hand out the invitation missions for the engineeers (or, at least, Mel Brandon who I think may be the most important of them).

You can make a ton of money (or engineering mats) doing tourist missions from surrounding systems into Colonia itself. Fit several economy passenger cabins so you can stack 'em!

If you're not already there yet, make sure to spread your explo-data around. Getting allied with the major factions really helps with early money-making opportunities (especially since superpower ranks are meaningless out there). Make sure you're allied with Colonia Council - they hand out the invitation missions for the engineeers (or, at least, Mel Brandon who I think may be the most important of them).

You can make a ton of money (or engineering mats) doing tourist missions from surrounding systems into Colonia itself. Fit several economy passenger cabins so you can stack 'em!
This is great advice, thank you.

I found this chap, smiling away to himself.

Weighing it all up, I've decided against the Corvette. The Anaconda has me covered in terms of fire power and, given how little I get all pugilistic, it would just be a waste of funds. I'll stick with what I have*

I'll purchase a few more medium ships (and a couple of larger ones) first in my long term goal of owning one of each ship. 25/37 so far - so near and yet so far!

* for now :D

Weighing it all up, I've decided against the Corvette. The Anaconda has me covered in terms of fire power and, given how little I get all pugilistic, it would just be a waste of funds. I'll stick with what I have*

I'll purchase a few more medium ships (and a couple of larger ones) first in my long term goal of owning one of each ship. 25/37 so far - so near and yet so far!

* for now :D
Sounds sensible, fwiw. Also, in these days of engineering, it can take so long to get a ship just the way we like it, I find it easier to develop and maintain a long term relationship. I'm still loving the Beluga, it is almost all A rated (51m cr for the larger modules is a stretch, but we're getting there) and semi-engineered, and the process has me almost completed Ranger and Tycoon, but it will still take me a while to 'finish'. But more importantly - the process and time we have had to spend together has me in love with the ship, so she will now definitely be my ride to Colonia. So there's a lot to be said for sticking with one ship and getting to know its quirks. I was interdicted in the mouth of the Maia Black Hole last night, and I think it was only familiarity with how she'd behave that saved my 8.5m rebuy. That and a refreshingly effective and committed fighter pilot.

Top Bottom