Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Hot Off The Press (17th to 25th August 3305)

Plan A has produced a usable time, now submitted. Not perfect (e.g. one obscured jump) but it could have been much worse with windows playing up and dragging the focus away from the client at critical moments. Luckily I updated my drivers during the week; the old one would have probably crashed or required me to hard reboot.
I need to give Plan B some thought, else I'll try for beauty shots in different categories if I don't work out how to improve my time.

What about the Guardian Globe cockpit lights? :p🚀
giphy.gif

I'm a bit busy today to do a proper scoreboard (maybe later, can't promise) but for now I have two entries, both awesome, both entirely valid.

So, quick Ad Hoc scoreboard ...

Cmdr nameShip nameShip typeTime
Edelgard von RheinDBXHermesUnder 30 mins
CrotalusCelesteKrait PhantomUnder 7 hrs

To be fair to Crotalus tho' - he did go to Sagittarius A* so he's already won the race in terms of Kudos!

QQmR2Ni.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Ok, serious question this time. I tried taking pictures of exploding ships. Which of these would be valid as proof (or not, and why):

1) Shows time and my ship's name, but there's not much left of the recently exploded ship
22S5thS.jpg

2) Ship in the process of exploding, but the timestamp has been cut off
UGQ9rKF.jpg

3) Even better view of the exploding ship, and worse timestamp
7Fyxtsg.jpg

4) Nice bang, but would you believe that was a ship? Also, again timestamp
6Y13EeP.jpg

5) Exploding ship and timestamop are both there, but someone could debate that the ship is exploding
gUmACLb.jpg

6) I swear, that's an exploding ship right there in my crosshairs. Ok, apart from the cut off timestamp - permissible?
tZDRMvc.jpg

7) Nice and clear timestamp. The expoding ship seems to have evaporated into smoke, unfortunately.
mz3zRFj.jpg

Looking at these, I suppose I'm going to have to go for video. Hmmm.... since it (should be) easy to start and stop video - how about short video clips instead of images?

Last edited:
Ok, serious question this time. I tried taking pictures of exploding ships. Which of these would be valid as proof (or not, and why):

1) Shows time and my ship's name, but there's not much left of the recently exploded ship

5) Exploding ship and timestamop are both there, but someone could debate that the ship is exploding

6) I swear, that's an exploding ship right there in my crosshairs. Ok, apart from the cut off timestamp - permissible?

7) Nice and clear timestamp. The expoding ship seems to have evaporated into smoke, unfortunately.

Looking at these, I suppose I'm going to have to go for video. Hmmm.... since it (should be) easy to start and stop video - how about short video clips instead of images?
Alas I can't see those images, they're either greyed out severely or replaced by a box about accepting conditions. Any chance of replacing those with imgur bbcodes?

I'm giving up on Imgur. Can't create a new album, can't even create a multi image post :mad:. It'll have to be Google Drive.

A shipwreck (human)" - this must be a ship (i.e. not an SRV) but any clearly wrecked ship (planetside or in space) other than capital ships will do.

Does this include recently created wreckage? (e.g., parts from a recently exploded ship?). If not, could it be clarified? (say, permanent wreckage?)

I'm giving up on Imgur. Can't create a new album, can't even create a multi image post :mad:. It'll have to be Google Drive.

I don't know if this will help

I've had a little check on Imgur, the way to do it now is to create a "new post", but click the "hidden" button, rather than "share to community"
You can rearrange and add tags, details, etc. And when you click hidden, it gives you a url link to the post that you can share.

This is a test post I've made now using some of the images I've taken setting up the race: Source: https://imgur.com/a/xrYs3Us

Clicking the hyperlink under the slideshow takes you to the post with my comments.
Clicking an image takes you to that image within the album.

22S5thS.jpg

UGQ9rKF.jpg

7Fyxtsg.jpg

6Y13EeP.jpg

gUmACLb.jpg

tZDRMvc.jpg

mz3zRFj.jpg

OK - cool, I can see those images now.

1 would do, 2 (maybe) and 3 would do if I could see the time (are you in VR - I appreciate that can be difficult - maybe video?), 4 again good but timestamp, 5 & 6 yes (if time) - 7 no.

If people are in VR or using headlook can I suggest two screenshots, 1 showing the explosion and then look up/right and grab another of the clock?

Does this include recently created wreckage? (e.g., parts from a recently exploded ship?). If not, could it be clarified? (say, permanent wreckage?)
I guess I had in mind the classic crashed ship you see down on planets sometimes but, without giving it away too much, there are other obvious examples of wrecked ships which came to mind. I guess those I had in mind would be POI's but I can now see there may be other ways of getting this shot. Hmmm, perhaps a bit of a loophole on this one but no obvious way of closing it now, damn. Basically I'm gonna say if it's recognisably a crashed/wrecked/derilict ship and not just a random bit of twisted metal then it's OK.

Last edited:
OK, as we hit day two here's the first proper scoreboard update of the race.

eO6ENPk.png

For now I'm keeping the exact times close to my chest but as you can see we have two times somewhere around the 30 min area (with Edelgard von Rhein just taking the lead over Azzie Elbub - but not by much!) and then one considerably longer run from Crotalus (but that did go all the way to Sagittarius Eye so R.E.S.P.E.C.T!)

We've got three different ship types and thus far we've had capital ships, mining, pumpkins, high altitide SRVs, exploding ships, thargoids, noob hammers, black holes, shipwrercks, geysers, space crystals, ship showrooms and wrecked SRVs. Quite the assortment and no two runs have been remotely similar. Next week when I have more time I'l start sharing the pie charts (which look really cool).

General consensus in the comments so far is: could do better.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Hmmm late to the party, but interesting... very interesting...

There's no regulation class which is going to be interesting for me, but I'll have a think about this today and see what I can come up with :D

Next week when I have more time I'l start sharing the pie charts (which look really cool).

😂

Please note - the initial "empty cargo" screenshot is really only necessary if one (or more) or your subsequent photos are of things which could theoretically be carried in the cargo hold (just to prove you weren't carrying them before the race started). If they're not then you don't have to bother with it. I mention this because a few people are cursing themselves for forgetting to include this shot.

Top Bottom