PvP Behold, the great Fdev Ganker filter..

I don't believe Morbad exists.
Please friend me in-game Warg. With our combined incompetence we will be able to terrify and nauseate especially the most skillful of Commanders. Then, perhaps the existence of Morbad will no longer be of interest.

:)
o7

Edit: Imagine eliciting heavy groans every time, upon the seeing of our two little hollow rectangles on the horizon!

Last edited:
Please friend me in-game Warg. With our combined incompetence we will be able to terrify and nauseate especially the most skillful of Commanders. Then, perhaps the existence of Morbad will no longer be of interest.

:)
o7

Edit: Imagine eliciting heavy groans every time, upon the seeing of our two little hollow rectangles on the horizon!
Send a friend request - we can battle each other to the death and answer the age old question:
"How many trips back to the station to restock ammo does it take before either Slange or Wargfoot manage to kill one another?"

I'm guessing 6-8 times.

Right now I'm hoofing it to Jellyfish Sector to get in the 5,000ly distance I need to get an invite from Professor Palin.
I figure I've got 4 days of flying round trip and then I'll be having words with Hera Tani over some mods.
Plus grind Empire reputation - my friend and I spend most of our time killing NPC pirates - you're free to join.

Yes I agree with this sentiment. Fdev have been trying to develop this game like a theme park style mmo, when it suits being a sandbox far more due to the scale of it. It's impossible for Fdev to develop enough hand-crafted content to fill a 1:1 scale galaxy, let the players create the content. Fdev should stop trying to god-hand the narrative of the game because there is too much for them to do. If they fixed some of the issues described in my OP then it would help this a lot.
What they need to do is act more like the DM in a DnD campaign, reacting to the party's actions while at the same time still keeping the core aspects of the larger story unmoving for the sake of the story. That salome event, imo, was the perfect example of what I mean.

We need more of that, not neccessarily for these things to be made into novels. But more things that change the game itself based on the player's actions in relation to whatever story is happening at the time

Send a friend request - we can battle each other to the death and answer the age old question:
"How many trips back to the station to restock ammo does it take before either Slange or Wargfoot manage to kill one another?"

I'm guessing 6-8 times.

Right now I'm hoofing it to Jellyfish Sector to get in the 5,000ly distance I need to get an invite from Professor Palin.
I figure I've got 4 days of flying round trip and then I'll be having words with Hera Tani over some mods.
Plus grind Empire reputation - my friend and I spend most of our time killing NPC pirates - you're free to join.
My dear Commander Wargfoot, you haven't yet unlocked all the engineers? In that case, due to the delightful imbalance in game mechanics, you will be blown into smithereens ad nauseum by my grade 5 engineered FDL,The "Fluffybunny," without my having to return to the station at all to rearm. In addition, due to my two highly engineered gimballed Multicannons, I won't even have to look in your general direction when firing.

However, if you and your friend would like assistance trolling npcs and friendly acquaintances, I would be honored to help.

o7

What should be appealing for devs is pvp is content in itself, just remove restrictions, and offer game activities within current universe that require competition in open only mode, it takes way less time than making half of a small content update. It's that simple, i just hope we see this before SC get released, then it become necessity for FD.

you fail to understand what type of game you are playing and are completely oblivious about how frontier operates.

i can understand. i thought like you for about 2 months back in 2014. yes, getting over self denial was the hardest part and took me about 1.5 months, then i finally admitted that the game is nowhere near ready to support that, and that it's all just blablabla and ticks in boxes for frontier. what you suggest would be only valuable if the incredible clusterfig it would immediately unfold brought frontier to a radical change in principles and strategy. which is why i supported the pp-open-only fiasco (and admittedly for the forum salt!). and, in that unlikely case, then maybe another 3 years from there?

trust this random internet stranger: you're better off picking some other game that actually can work for that.

Last edited:

I'm guessing 6-8 times.

Plasma slugs, and then you can keep shooting until you run out of fuel.

My dear Commander Wargfoot, you haven't yet unlocked all the engineers? In that case, due to the delightful imbalance in game mechanics, you will be blown into smithereens ad nauseum by my grade 5 engineered FDL,The "Fluffybunny," without my having to return to the station at all to rearm. In addition, due to my two highly engineered gimballed Multicannons, I won't even have to look in your general direction when firing.

However, if you and your friend would like assistance trolling npcs and friendly acquaintances, I would be honored to help.

o7
This.
THIS is the low point of my Elite Dangerous career.
Slange turning me down for a PvP battle because I'd be too easy to kill.

[hangs head in shame]

This.
THIS is the low point of my Elite Dangerous career.
Slange turning me down for a PvP battle because I'd be too easy to kill.

[hangs head in shame]
Oh Warg. I will fight you in my stock eagle then... I couldn't possibly kill you unless you would accept void opals from me for your rebuys. Besides, in a stock eagle you will easily best me.

o7

Oh Warg. I will fight you in my stock eagle then... I couldn't possibly kill you unless you would accept void opals from me for your rebuys. Besides, in a stock eagle you will easily best me.

o7
You've managed to embarrass me further.
If anyone needs me I'll be taking a trip out to Elephant Head.
I'll be hiding in a broom closet at a station out there until Slange decides to destroy someone else's forum reputation.

I've a really thin line to walk here.

You don't need an excuse to whack noobs 24/7 in this game; however, if you feel compelled to come up with an excuse for a poor play-style then blaming FDev is the wrong way to go about it. Such a flimsy excuse leaves me wondering why you don't go play a game where you can be a contributing member to the PvP community.
1. Because there is no other space MMO with first person view and proper ship controls out there.
2. Many of us gankers don't wanna do it. We seek out for alternatives but in each of our attempts we are faced with atleast one of the issues shown in the graphic.

Ganking is something very easy to do but ganking also offers a fitting goal in Elite: shoot everyone, since you can't target a specific player (for example a wanted one) as it is never certain if you are seeing that player in the first place and assuming a miracle happens and you do see that player long enough without networking issues and then also manage to shoot that player, you get a small reward of 2 million credits capped ...,
shooting everyone without a target just suits Elite's instance gambling nature. If we can't choose the targets that fit into my desired playstyle we just shoot whatever is in our line of fire. Proper FDev deaign,could be much different.

1. Because there is no other space MMO with first person view and proper ship controls out there.
2. Many of us gankers don't wanna do it. We seek out for alternatives but in each of our attempts we are faced with atleast one of the issues shown in the graphic.

Ganking is something very easy to do but ganking also offers a fitting goal in Elite: shoot everyone, since you can't target a specific player (for example a wanted one) as it is never certain if you are seeing that player in the first place and assuming a miracle happens and you do see that player long enough without networking issues and then also manage to shoot that player, you get a small reward of 2 million credits capped ...,
shooting everyone without a target just suits Elite's instance gambling nature. If we can't choose the targets that fit into my desired playstyle we just shoot whatever is in our line of fire. Proper FDev deaign,could be much different.
I agree with you that PvP can be better.
I've not even done any real PvP yet and even a glaring noob like myself can see many of the obvious problems.
In short, I think we've similar desires and we've much in agreement.

However.

The phrase "many of us gankers don't wanna do it" is utter nonsense.
I'm sympathetic that the mechanics you want aren't in place (we agree there), but the golly-gee ganking excuse is ridiculous.
If PvP is your thing there is no reason to be playing a title that doesn't scratch the itch exactly the way you want it scratched.

1: PvP is important to me.
2: I don't care for the PvP in Elite Dangerous.
3: Therefore, I'll spend my time doing PvP stuff I don't enjoy.

^---- [derp, derp, derp]

So no, I'm not buying it - I'm with you when you want to see change but when FDev becomes the excuse for a weak play style then I'm out.

And for the record, there are numerous things FDev has done right when it comes to PvP.
1: Full on solo/group play mode while still in the same universe it totally hot and allows different communities to thrive.
2: Inability to transfer funds to other players prevents twinking. <-- very important.
3: Proper distance between players/no fast travel is a huge feature (it allows remote communities to develop)
4: Two million bounty cap is absolutely brilliant.

FDev has some important fundamentals in place - yeah, they've got some work to do but they've a good philosophy in play.

If PvP is your thing there is no reason to be playing a title that doesn't scratch the itch exactly the way you want it scratched.

The absence of such titles sounds like a pretty good reason to not be playing such titles.

I play Elite: Dangerous because it's the absolute closest thing to the experience I want that is currently available. This is not mutually exclusive with, nor in any way in contradiction to, it also not being anywhere near the experience I want.

And for the record, there are numerous things FDev has done right when it comes to PvP.
1: Full on solo/group play mode while still in the same universe it totally hot and allows different communities to thrive.
2: Inability to transfer funds to other players prevents twinking. <-- very important.
3: Proper distance between players/no fast travel is a huge feature (it allows remote communities to develop)
4: Two million bounty cap is absolutely brilliant.

FDev has some important fundamentals in place - yeah, they've got some work to do but they've a good philosophy in play.

I'm not sure if that's a joke or not.

• The ability to mode switch at will throws another wrench into organic PvP by allowing anyone to avoid combat that is not entirely on their terms.
  • Inability to directly transfer funds doesn't matter much when credits are free and even material collection has been simplified to the extreme...not that 'twinking' is an issue because piloting ability has always been vastly slower to accrue than CMDR assets.
  • A bubble ten combat-ship jumps in diameter is essentially fast travel.
  • Not that bounties matter due to other issues, but in the absence of these more glaring problems the bounty cap could put a significant damper on the incentive to pursue criminal CMDRs.

The absence of such titles sounds like a pretty good reason to not be playing such titles.
There are currently no sports contests that I enjoy so I don't watch any of them.
What I'm not going to do is force myself to sit through something I don't enjoy just to be doing it.

I play Elite: Dangerous because it's the absolute closest thing to the experience I want that is currently available. This is not mutually exclusive with, nor in any way in contradiction to, it also not being anywhere near the experience I want.
That is different than the commander to whom I was responding; the one that claimed he didn't like ganking at all.
If you don't like any of the PvP features and down grade to ganking, which you also don't enjoy, then you're in the wrong game or in denial.

The ability to mode switch at will throws another wrench into organic PvP by allowing anyone to avoid combat that is not entirely on their terms.
It absolutely doesn't throw a wrench into anything - without solo play those in solo play wouldn't be here.
It isn't having the impact on open play that you imagine.
BTW, calling something 'organic' doesn't make it farm fresh or wholesome.
FDev did the right thing here.

Inability to directly transfer funds doesn't matter much when credits are free and even material collection has been simplified to the extreme...not that 'twinking' is an issue because piloting ability has always been vastly slower to accrue than CMDR assets.
It is important so that alternate accounts cannot be used to generate funds and transfer them to the out-law account (with any ease). One of the most infuriating things about many PvP titles I've played is when a criminal player transfers all of his ill gotten gain to a lawful player alternate thereby putting it out of reach of justice. FDev did the right thing here.

A bubble ten combat-ship jumps in diameter is essentially fast travel.
In Ultima Online, the developers have reported, there was a time when gankers could terrorize the entire map with fast travel. They could hit every significant dungeon in under 1 hour - there was literally no place to hide. Compare with a ganker in Deciat who just caught wind of a noob wing in Colonia. Is the ganker in Deciat going to interfer with their evening? Nope. FDev did travel right in this game.

Not that bounties matter due to other issues, but in the absence of these more glaring problems the bounty cap could put a significant damper on the incentive to pursue criminal CMDRs.
Squads of gankers would just harvest each other to minimize rebuy costs. This was illustrated by Harry Potter's rebuy a few months ago. Again, FDev got this absolutely right.

I've seen abuse in many other games and there are some key things here that FDev nipped in the bud.
While there is plenty of room for improvment the foundations are solid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom