HP Reverb Pro: Ask Me Anything!

Some more thoughts after playing a bit more today:

• The connecting wire is heavy. In a seated position this is fine, but it can get annoying if you move around too much. On the flip side, the headset itself is surprisingly light.
  • The controllers feel cheap and the buttons for them are in non-ergonomic spots. I have to constantly reach farther than I would think for some of them. However, after setup, if you only want to play Sim games, this is a moot point.
  • The facemask is awesome and blocks out just about all light and lets me breath and doesn't constantly tickle my nose like the Rift does. I did not get VR-face marks after a few hours. This is a big surprising bonus for me.
  • It fits comfortably on my head and hasn't caused any pressure point issues as of a few hours testing.
  • Going from Oculus to WMR is a little step down. The software isn't as well made, and some settings that should be obvious are either hidden or nonexistant. The "home" area is more like a grad school project than a professional environment like Oculus has. Obviously, WMR is a few years behind development for Oculus, so that makes sense.
  • It doesn't need sensors so you can free up a few USB spots on your PC.
  • It can either be set for "seated" or a free-walking experience. I opted for seated to just jump in, and in that mode it keeps your head centered in one spot, with of course 360 range of vision. In Elite, that keeps your head always where it is supposed to be, which is kind of cool. If you want to walk your invisible head around your ship, you'll need to set up the free-walking mode.
  • The graphical fidelity is insane. It really does feel like the same level of detail as on a 1080p monitor. This is absolutely what every VR headset needs to strive for. Stars and nebulae look just as beautiful and full of detail as they do in flatmode. I got into a quick pvp match while testing things out and I could see the Courier's details all the way out to a few km. Up close, every detail is shown in full. The text is crisp- even the settings menus and engineers page with it's tiny text was comfortable to scroll through. The cockpit text and UI is beautiful. I used an Eagle so that I could be up close to it and see just how perfect it is.
  • The downside to all of that beauty is that it takes a toll on your PC. I have an i7-8700k cpu, 32 gb of ram, and an 2080ti. While the majority of the game was smooth as butter, asteroid belts brought down my frame rate to sub 60. Jameson Memorial was a flurry of activity, but frames stayed over 90. I will have to tweak my settings to keep up with the extra hardware that the Reverb offers. I do currently have all settings set to high or ultra.
To sum up for now: This is the VR headset made for Sim enthusiasts. I cannot imagine downgrading back to the Oculus CV1.

If anyone has specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.
Is it really Worth the jerkyness that you get when frames get lower.
If my Rift goes below 90 Everything stutters, dont know if it is Worth it?

Did you try with space warp on. I have it Always on in the rift and its butter smooth with hmd at 2.0 and ultra settings.

So GTX 1070 and Reverb work in ED.

The downside for the higher resolution is you have to, obviously, downgrade your eye candy.
Colors are blighted a bit compared to OC1, washed out and bleak. Sound too isn't as good as it was on OC1.
So right now a mixed bag. You have to tweak and tryout a lot to find whats working on your rig.

Its playable and not bad at all, but You want a new generation GPU.

Last edited:
For those who can't wait for HP to sell their own product.................................(Which i still can't understand why 3rd party companies are selling this before HP even admit it is in the UK? Why HP, WHY?? )

Go Here...................... HP REVERB

I bought one yesterday and just had the txt from Parcelforce that it will be delivered today. Setup and tinkering tonight and back in game tomorrow. Gonna take a half day Friday to really try out this headset.

My Thanks to a VERY helpful HeavyGroovez, who i can't praise enough for his thoughts, suggestions, advice and being a downright bloody good chap!

For those who can't wait for HP to sell their own product.................................(Which i still can't understand why 3rd party companies are selling this before HP even admit it is in the UK? Why HP, WHY?? )

I bought one yesterday and just had the txt from Parcelforce that it will be delivered today. Setup and tinkering tonight and back in game tomorrow. Gonna take a half day Friday to really try out this headset.

My Thanks to a VERY helpful HeavyGroovez, who i can't praise enough for his thoughts, suggestions, advice and being a downright bloody good chap!
Good for you and Europe. My review is short and sweet. It's not perfect but it's a "H" of a lot better than the oculus rift that I had. I think it's great.

Update: Just been delivered and on checking the serial number i can see it was made in week 32 of the year 19, so that means mine was made week beginning 5th Aug, so defo have not got a refurbered ver 1.
Looking forward to getting this thing up and running tonight. Box is smaller than the Vive pro box which was HUGE. The headset feels lighter!

Thanks for the heads up. Mine should be delivered tomorrow :)

Update:

Well FINALLY got into the Reverb late last night after struggling to get windows to update from 1809 to 1903. Would it update??? NO, but a bit of research on the web led me to a solution which thankfully worked. That update took hour and a half, then the Windows reality download, Steam VR (Which I had mistakenly uninstalled after selling the Vive Pro), I was tired and knowing I had to be up early this morning spent 20 mins in the headset.
Initial impression WOW!! The clarity is streets ahead of the Vive pro even with Lens Mod, and a whole generation above the CV1. Sound is good and a world better than the Vive, but not quite as good as the CV1, but certainly usable and I will use the headsets phone and not have separate in ear phones as I did with the Pro. Tracking was very good for me, but not really tested in earnest yet especially around 12:00 to 16:00 when I get direct sun into the window next to my setup (Even with curtains closed). This time used to make the Pro unusable during this period as tracking was lost completely.

The clarity of the text and objects in the game is simply put,'Outstanding' and on par with a decent 1080 monitor. The ships flying around the station are detailed and not just pixels, the station entrance is detailed. The sweet spot is large and good, the FOV is something I am used to having owned similar FOV headsets. The comfort is outstanding, being lighter and it just fits nicely. Software IPD is not an issue with me. Even with hardware IPD adjustments, once set why would you alter it, so software IPD is set it and forget it!

The only downside is the colour saturation is poor and seemed washed out a bit. The blacks don’t bother me but the depth of colour is something I am going to have to get used to. Is there any setting I can tweak to make it better? It is not a ‘ I won’t use this headset as the colours are dog pooh’, but more of a case of accepting some downs for the clarity and other pros of this headset.

Having bought a Pro for over £1100, this at just a tad over half that price is BLOODY good value for money. Can't wait to dive into it tonight for an extend use.

Recommended.

Update:

Well FINALLY got into the Reverb late last night after struggling to get windows to update from 1809 to 1903. Would it update??? NO, but a bit of research on the web led me to a solution which thankfully worked. That update took hour and a half, then the Windows reality download, Steam VR (Which I had mistakenly uninstalled after selling the Vive Pro), I was tired and knowing I had to be up early this morning spent 20 mins in the headset.
Initial impression WOW!! The clarity is streets ahead of the Vive pro even with Lens Mod, and a whole generation above the CV1. Sound is good and a world better than the Vive, but not quite as good as the CV1, but certainly usable and I will use the headsets phone and not have separate in ear phones as I did with the Pro. Tracking was very good for me, but not really tested in earnest yet especially around 12:00 to 16:00 when I get direct sun into the window next to my setup (Even with curtains closed). This time used to make the Pro unusable during this period as tracking was lost completely.

The clarity of the text and objects in the game is simply put,'Outstanding' and on par with a decent 1080 monitor. The ships flying around the station are detailed and not just pixels, the station entrance is detailed. The sweet spot is large and good, the FOV is something I am used to having owned similar FOV headsets. The comfort is outstanding, being lighter and it just fits nicely. Software IPD is not an issue with me. Even with hardware IPD adjustments, once set why would you alter it, so software IPD is set it and forget it!

The only downside is the colour saturation is poor and seemed washed out a bit. The blacks don’t bother me but the depth of colour is something I am going to have to get used to. Is there any setting I can tweak to make it better? It is not a ‘ I won’t use this headset as the colours are dog pooh’, but more of a case of accepting some downs for the clarity and other pros of this headset.

Having bought a Pro for over £1100, this at just a tad over half that price is BLOODY good value for money. Can't wait to dive into it tonight for an extend use.

Recommended.
That's odd for mr the colors are very vibrant much better than my oculus rift. You might try tweaking the in game graphics settings. What graphics card are you using?

Update:

Recommended.

Do you get 90/45 fps (spacewarp) as with the CV1? Or is it more stuttering ?

OpenVR is the interface that defines the virtual methods that Elite supports to send messages to a WMR HMD.

WMR is effectively the device driver that transfers and renders the rasterized frame buffers presented by the OpenVR implementation (SteamVR) as the final part of the v-sync.

The frame render pipeline schedule is therefore controlled by SteamVR.

It is good at movement latency translation but poor for future frame extrapolation. Motion Smoothing is pretty rubbish - certainly nowhere near as good as Oculus ASW.

Bottom line, you really need a 2080Ti to run the Reverb close to its native resolution for Elite. You can run it at lower resolutions just fine and it still looks good but it largely defeats the purpose of having high res panels. You can run at 60hz to mitigate but im not a big fan.

With a 2080Ti you can hit 4 megapixel per eye buffers @90Hz pre distortion (2k x 2k) and avoid reprojection for the most part.

Heavy supersampling is not fundamentally required because the native physical pixel density of the Reverb is over 2.5x that of the Original Rift.

That said when you hit 3k x 3k eye buffers on the Reverb its like magic fairy dust...

To be honest Kiario, i am not an 'FPS' watcher. Never have in any of my HMD's. If it stutters i reduce, if it don't stutter i increase until i reach a happy medium. I will say the Vive Pro seems to take more to run it, as i have generally increased my settings to get to the point of stutter/no stutter.

That's odd for mr the colors are very vibrant much better than my oculus rift. You might try tweaking the in game graphics settings. What graphics card are you using?

No definitely a drop in colour saturation coming from 2x OLEDs HMD's (CV1 & Vive Pro) to an LED. Blacks can be somewhat increased by reducing Gamma, as i had my gamma high when using the CV1 and Pro, but the colours are definitely poorer in this Reverb, but OMG the clarity is to die for. I have just played ED for 3 hours (Took a sicky) and was mining LTD's and Painite, and i must say after the first hour i stopped noticing the the colour loss and was just drooling at the clarity and definition of the droids.

PS. I have a water-cooled 1080Ti overclocked heavily. Temp never goes above 66c

Last edited:
Top Bottom