The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
What in the name of holy clustered workload balance passthrough is "Dynamic Server Meshing"?

Static Server Messing due end 2020 - when the fibre finally reaches the rack :D
Static Server Meshing = normal instances with boundaries, you travel from one instance to another

Dynamic Server Meshing = the boundaries change depending on player population in an instance, and servers move players automatically between instances.

Dual Universe has had Dynamic Server Meshing working in its Alpha for roughly a year now.

I don't usually look at the tramps armpit of Reddit - but my dear GT you are always helpful with links. One of the first things that stuck out was this, erm, thingie.

It's a requirement for Squadron 42, as it's effectively running a server on the local machine.

What on earth is that even meant to mean? A single player game on a local machine is it's own server. Sure, you might need external authenticators - but they are on their own servers - otherwise that kinds of defeats the entire purpose of external authenticators :D

Personally, in a space game, I'm more interested in actual space things than exploring the inside of my ship. Evidently other people see it differently though. I wonder if there is room for an age-of-sail exploration game, where you can cruise the oceans, discover new lands, and go rat-hunting in the ships bilge? With fully authentic rat AI (verified by a fully-qualified rodentologist) and never-seen-before water-slopping-around-with-bits-of-decaying-ships-biscuit animations. And never-smelt-before digital-unwashed-crew-aroma (verified by a fully-qualified unwashed sailor). If that doesn't save PC gaming, nothing will...

I reckon he should find a net connection as well as some friends ;)

Interesting title there though and it ties in with the idea of what people think SC should be. Should it require group play to survive, or should it be friendly towards the solo player? What about the 100 npcs per player who are indistinguishable from players?

Im a bit surprised they need server side ocs for the single player game. If so it means that there will be no offline play for sq42. That might russle some jimmies. Maybe even prompt some refund requests.
ROFLULZBUCKETRY at its finest!

Remember when we were told SQ42 doesn't need all the tech needed for SC because it's solo. Now, it needs the most important and still to exist and proved useful.

Im a bit surprised they need server side ocs for the single player game. If so it means that there will be no offline play for sq42. That might russle some jimmies. Maybe even prompt some refund requests.

Especially since they scrapped jump in/out coop. That would make it an online-only singleplay-only game. :/

Interesting title there though and it ties in with the idea of what people think SC should be. Should it require group play to survive, or should it be friendly towards the solo player? What about the 100 npcs per player who are indistinguishable from players?
I never have much bother surviving on my little solo runs with cargo...the US servers are a bit more...interesting...since you have more folks like Sovapid who would love to shred my cat up for the lulz :D

As for the 100's of NPC's...maybe someday if the sun turns black. Apart from the ones milling about in stations getting in the way, there's no NPC ships apart from the ones shooting at you or scanning you or the ones you're required to shoot...no NPC traffic as in ED.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom