The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Of course you can - they edited out the 98 times they plowed into the ground while doing a fly-by, and recorded with amazement when they didnt crash :p
Ok...we can pick holes in it if you'd prefer of course...I offered it up since I genuinely liked it...nice music, cool vid, and I was particularly awed by the flying sequences having suffered the awful flight model first hand every night... etc.

Besides...I fly one of these things...so not a lot of barrel rolling about the landscape unless I've been previously shot full of holes and already exploding ;)

lOxi5EN.png

Last edited:
I meet on average 20 'first day' newbies per night on the European servers alone who are all star struck and have already spent way too much or looking to bin even more cash on this dumpster fire of a project...it still staggers me to be honest.

While the saying says there is a sucker born every minute it still blows my mind how many people buy into it.

I mean, i acknowledge that there is a chance that SC might release one day and it might even be half decent, but why do so many people lack the control to simply sit back and wait to see if CIG can do that first.

The SC sub is full of people saying they are fed up with publishers pushing out buggy and unfinished games, yet SC is exactly that, except somehow different because ITS ALPHA and the backers are funding it so feel like they control the development somehow? Like if they are in control then nothing can go wrong? But its all rubbish anyway, they dont control anything. CIG have plenty of times done things the backers have been against, and you cant design anything decent by committee.. we see it on many game forums "Why dont the developers listen to us?"

Welll, because there is no actual single "us". Because a game designed by "us" would be terrible. And because "us" often want something different from what the devs want.

Which of those guys are you? :)

Serious and pretty awesome barf-bus flying from these French guys in their new vid, loving it...all HOTAS/twin stick and track-IR flyers.

That looks seriously awesome, replayed at a faster rate? But still the end result justifies some footage tweaking. And I dont mean this in any capacity to "prove" the flight models quality but it looks cool. What else can we expect from SC at this point? Some of the best material comes from fans these days....CIG take notes.

I meet on average 20 'first day' newbies per night on the European servers alone who are all star struck and have already spent way too much or looking to bin even more cash on this dumpster fire of a project...it still staggers me to be honest.

If those guys are the real deal and not part of the "newbie imitation squad" it might mean that Star Citizen the perpetual alpha has a few more years in itself :)

Crobby would mesh those servers in a trice. Unfortunately he's currently fixing the physics and objects instead...

(whale sauce)
I also had some talk with John Crewe about multicrew gameplay, they did not have anything to show yet, so I asked why not give Evocati a whitebox/greybox for example, with just the gameplay to test it, where he responded on that it's simply to early to do anything publicly with it.

This is from that same post. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's already mutlicrew ships in the alpha, right? How on earth do you release the ship but have nothing working to support those seats? Or am I missing something?

Serious and pretty awesome barf-bus flying from these French guys in their new vid, loving it...all HOTAS/twin stick and track-IR flyers.

I was expecting the flight model to be seriously borked (still), but it looks way better than it used to. The thrust and travel vectors look far more realistic. The ships actually appear to have mass and momentum.

Edit: It appears everyone sees different things in these vids. Someone give me the thrust and positional telemetry and I'll tell you once and for all! :)

Last edited:
So the “flight model” still doesn't make a lick of sense, huh?
While it has made a very small step in the right direction, there are still instant/infinite accelerations happening at edge cases which still make ship movement jarring (*). everything is still pretty much weightless too when the physics engine comes into play. Manoeuver thrusters still deliver inifinite instant amounts of power in any direction, and with zero visual feedback...

(*) talking about personal experience or other vids here. This vid is cleverly edited :p

This is from that same post. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's already mutlicrew ships in the alpha, right? How on earth do you release the ship but have nothing working to support those seats? Or am I missing something?
You arent missing anything, and it's not the first ship they deliver that has no associated gameplay. I suppose some of the players can make-believe and sit in there like kids sitting in cardboard boxes...

Last edited:
Insight time: CIG has said they used unrealistc deadlines to motivate the devs and that if you give devs extra time they will just waste it.

Now think about how this applies to the man in charge. Backers gave him a free pass telling him he could take as long as he wanted to get it right.

Surely what is good for the goose is good for the gander?

While it has made a very small step in the right direction, there are still instant/infinite accelerations happening at edge cases which still make ship movement jarring (*). everything is still pretty much weightless too when the physics engine comes into play. Manoeuver thrusters still deliver inifinite instant amounts of power in any direction, and with zero visual feedback...

Sorry to be pedantic, but an "infinite acceleration" would mean the ship instantly disappears off the screen, to some undefined infinite distance. The same goes for "infinite instant amounts of power".

Beats me.

The multicrew that (sort of) works is:

• Manned turrets
  • Remote turrets (afaik only works on the Super Hornet)
  • Engineering station (same MFD as the pilot have basically)

And the list of things not yet functional (most likely because SQ42 have no need for it so it's not important or something)

- Everything else...

I also had some talk with John Crewe about multicrew gameplay, they did not have anything to show yet, so I asked why not give Evocati a whitebox/greybox for example, with just the gameplay to test it, where he responded on that it's simply to early to do anything publicly with it.

As someone who backed SQ42 and I accept fully that multicrew might not be a feature at all in THAT part of the game...but...It's been 7 years and they have had multicrew ships for YEARS so that feels like a load of rubbish unless they have:

A: No idea how to implement it (i doubt that actually)
B: No documentation on how and what the gameplay will be
C: Are so delayed with everything it's been pushed to infinity

Sorry to be pedantic, but an "infinite acceleration" would mean the ship instantly disappears off the screen, to some undefined infinite distance. The same goes for "infinite instant amounts of power".

Eeh, would it not mean that the ship constantly accelerates and goes faster and faster with no maximum speed limit as opposed to reaching an astronomical "top" speed instantly.

While its true that most multi-crew ships just have extra seats for people to sit in without anything to do there are turret seats who offer turrent gameplay....

I was expecting the flight model to be seriously borked (still), but it looks way better than it used to. The thrust and travel vectors look far more realistic. The ships actually appear to have mass and momentum.

Edit: It appears everyone sees different things in these vids. Someone give me the thrust and positional telemetry and I'll tell you once and for all! :)
Well that changes was made few patches back with inertia introduction but now since the latest patch is actually way worst to fly because of the new&broken hovering mode that for me at least take even that little pleasure with atmospheric flight........

While its true that most multi-crew ships just have extra seats for people to sit in without anything to do there are turret seats who offer turrent gameplay....

Which almost nobody does, because everyone has their own ship and expects other people to man the turrets. The only turret gameplay I can sort-of find on YT is "testing" after new patch is released with turret gameplay changes or a new ship with turrets is released.

Eeh, would it not mean that the ship constantly accelerates and goes faster and faster with no maximum speed limit as opposed to reaching an astronomical "top" speed instantly.
Not really. Infinite acceleration means infinite velocity, since v=at. Neither of which have any real world meaning.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom