Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

I decided to wait before playing the new release to allow for some fixes, but regrettably I've now lost five or six sessions of 15-30 minutes of game play.

Precisely why there is no point in waiting for bug fixes in order to play the game... or any game for that matter.

Best policy is to dive straight in, and then see what (if any) issues affect you - because none of them affect everyone.

Then look for workarounds.

Backups are always a good idea.

happens to all that use vr.

But VR has only existed in the game for two weeks. Yet this bug you mention (that I've never seen) has existed for years according to you - so which is it?

I've used VR (not as much as pancake, but I've used it). I didn't see that issue.

priorities are fine and all, it's still defective software. if they haven't had a chance to look at this in a couple of years then that just means there's something else going wrong up there.

Yes, and my point is that all software has defects.

The fact that this doesn't happen to everyone suggests there's something particular about the machines that it does happen on. Maybe a 3rd party overlay that is running in the background. Maybe a mod that's been installed. Maybe a driver issue. Could be any number of or combination of things.

Two years to fix a cosmetic bug that doesn't happen to everyone is standard in the real world. Are you saying HG aren't working hard / fast enough?

Nobody is claiming it should be 100% bug free or that other software is. This is the most blatant, and needles strawman I have seen in a long while. Tens of thousands of people couldn't even get past the into logo on all platforms including consoles. This is widely reported in gaming media and caused the NMS ratings to tank again. That doesnt happen when a few people experience some bugs, as with all software, but because piles of people experienced game breaking bugs.

Again, its cool that you didnt experience them. But if if someone asks for the state of the game the honest response is:"Thousands upon thousands of people have their entire savegame wrecked, lost all their stuff, cant get into the game, have abysmal FPS, experience BSOD (lol, in 2019!), crash repeatedly and so forth. HG is aware of it and has been scrambling to fix the worst of the issues, and by now most people can at least enter the game. You can try playing now, but if a serious risk of encountering major bugs is a concern to you you might want to week 2-3 weeks."

I have no idea why you want to whitewash the state of the game. There is nothing wrong with waiting a few weeks, plenty of other things to in the meantime. As for your 'they enter 24/7 crunch releasing 13 updates in four days because they care so much but the game is just fine dont worry.': lol.

Wow... triggered? o_O

I don't know how many times I can say this. Two million people played Beyond on the first day. The vast majority experienced no issues whatsoever - and if the NMS ratings "tanked" again because of a few thousand out of those two million people unfortunately experienced issues - then hell yes, snowflake culture.

I'm not whitewashing anything. I'm saying the game is playable. More than playable actually - it's fun - although your mileage may vary on that one. You should keep backups of saves you want to keep anyway... it's just common sense.

They basically re-wrote the entire game for this release, and frankly, I'm in a bit of awe at HG at just how stable it actually is, considering. Compare that to the continual mess that FD release with their patches - and they are always just bolt-on separate things that rarely impact the rest of the game. E: D has bugs that have been in there since release, 5 years ago.

...Then look for workarounds.... Backups are always a good idea.

I sure few would disagree that backups are a good idea, but they are normally the last resort, and equally are not a cure-all. They also provide the same irritation that I'm suffering which is the lost progress, requiring the player to re-do the same activities. This 'ugh' effect is not unique to NMS.

My work around for any game that randomly freezes, producing no crash report, is to contact support and stop playing it until they reply. Not really an ideal solution I'm sure we'd all agree.

But these are first-world problems and, after such a large update, probably to be expected. On the plus side HG have routinely proven themselves very good at pushing out bug fixes.

...Two million people played Beyond on the first day. The vast majority experienced no issues whatsoever - and if the NMS ratings "tanked" again because of a few thousand out of those two million people unfortunately experienced issues - then hell yes, snowflake culture...

Quite an interesting point this for me, on a few levels.

One being the 'never forget, never forgive' people who continually bring up the (I think mostly false, but ymmv) furore over no mutliplayer pew-pew on day #1. Too often they resurrect their 'trauma', as if all at HG, and most particularly SM, are damned for all days, no matter what has happened since. Indeed one particular person (no longer active here) piled in with much criticism, and then finally admitted that they didn't own the game and hadn't been following it prior to release. So I suspect some may have a 'hair trigger' for this game.

Then we get into percentages vs numbers. Yes if 1% of players couldn't get the game to start it doesn't dramatic, but if that 1% represents thousands people, then you have thousands of people complaining. And that is a large number of unhappy people that can not be dismissed as snowflakes - they are all merely reporting their experience. Bugs and glitches are in every game and product (hence the existence of the KEL - Known Error Log - for every major product in existence), but it is reasonable to be vocally unhappy if one can't load the game, or that it routinely hangs/crashes.

Lastly, if a good number of players couldn't get the game to even load then it begs the question as to how thorough the MS and Sony 'validation checks' are. In my experience, before releasing to a large and diverse estate, every know variant and combination of hardware/software/network type is tested for. For publicly owned PC's this is impractical, but not for consoles. Or so one might have thought. I'm honestly not sure how much checking Sony/MS do for updates but, in this case, it seems it wasn't enough.

But VR has only existed in the game for two weeks. Yet this bug you mention (that I've never seen) has existed for years according to you - so which is it?

i was talking about elite dangerous. 🤭

I've used VR (not as much as pancake, but I've used it). I didn't see that issue.

it's random but pretty frequent. again, in elite, not nms.

Two years to fix a cosmetic bug that doesn't happen to everyone is standard in the real world.

it isn't cosmetic. that caret gives you the orientation of your target, which is pretty important in combat, more so in vr where resolution is lower. for sure annoying.

Yes, and my point is that all software has defects.

yes, that's the point of qa and why tools and methods to address them exist. a serious developer is supposed to use them. the number of outstanding bugs and the time to address them is a clear indicator of the quality of the developer. guess what ... frontier utterly sucks on that measure.

i was talking about elite dangerous. 🤭

Umm... this is the No Man's Sky thread. Are you lost? :LOL:

yes, that's the point of qa and why tools and methods to address them exist. a serious developer is supposed to use them. the number of outstanding bugs and the time to address them is a clear indicator of the quality of the developer. guess what ... frontier utterly sucks on that measure.

You won't find much of an argument from me on that score, but again, there's lots of threads for Frontier bashing available. This one is for HG bashing. ;)

One thing I'm genuinely surprised by is the well written story so far. Parts of it are quite chilling and I'm eager to get from point to point. Loving the vibe.
They definitely improved the story as well. It's more streamlined and easier to do than before.

But this way of adding a story to an open-world sandbox game is what I think could be in Elite as well. It's even possible to add multiple story lines that you pick up from some station, for instance the engineers could be done with some mission chain in form of a story, instead of bringing 50 tonnes of tea or cigars to make friends with them.

Yesterday, I discovered they have done another change in the game. A huge improvement. Giganormous improvement in fact.

The way you used to get a certain set of blueprints or recipes was to break into locked facilities that were guarded by sentinels. The recipes are great for huge money making, but you need a bunch of them. In the old version the blueprints you got were given based on RNG. Yes, RNGesus ruled certain aspects of NMS as well. And when you got the needing the last few recipes and you constantly got the ones you already had, it was frustrating. I remember spending a few days to get the last two in the old game.

Now, the new mechanics is that you pick the ones you want from a tree-list, so you basically decide which ones you want instead. This is how you remove grind! They've done it right. Love it!

VR in NMS is awesome, but I’ve spent ALOT of time trying to make it run smooth. Latest experimental helped, but I think my CPU is struggling, no matter if I have almost everything on ultra or low and no matter if I have SteamVR HMD resolution set to 100% or 20%, it still stutters especially when flying or running towards unexplored terrain, or turning very fast. Tweaking those high/low thread -settings helped somewhat, but no-one actually seems to know whatt they actually mean.

I really hope HG keeps optimising, my i4790K is certainly not new, but not quite obsolete yet eighter...

...This one is for HG bashing. ;)...

And in this spirit, my play this afternoon has been completely freeze-free.... flipping HG.... can't even be reliably unreliable... blooming nerve of them... how jolly dare they... really ticks me off... etc etc....

#RageQuit!!!

(Sorry... I restarted so haz no stuffs to haz...)

P.s. I like my current home planet - very tranquil...

uj0I6gK.png

2yUJMnr.png

I might have done... ...I'm not telling you though!!! :censored:
:ROFLMAO:
Sean intensifies!
Source: https://media.giphy.com/media/VNP5TyREqrF9C/giphy.gif

And after you have your backups, make sure you save them somewhere safe too. :)

Oh man, I learned the hard way that Dark Souls 2 doesn't have Steam Cloud sync. Lucky for my 220h overgrinded mage, I kept a whole backup of my %userprofile% between windows reinstalls.

it still stutters especially when flying or running towards unexplored terrain, or turning very fast. Tweaking those high/low thread -settings helped somewhat, but no-one actually seems to know whatt they actually mean.
I really hope HG keeps optimising, my i4790K is certainly not new, but not quite obsolete yet eighter...

If it's any consolation, it stutters also on a i7-9700k@5.1GHz, so you're not alone ;-) And it's not like either CPU or GPU is pegged at that time, it's something borked in the engine. Flying is a trip to reprojection country. I'm playing on a Valve Index set to 80Hz and the game usually manages these 80 VRfps, but not without occassional drops. And Steam VR Application override is set to 78% of the usual 150% it sets for my 1080Ti.

It's strange. I have an older laptop with a 960 card and a desktop setup for VR with an underdimensions (not VR approved) CPU, and even though I run in lower res and setting, I don't have any graphical issues. Meanwhile, one of my sons played the game the other day, and he has a gaming computer with a 1080 card, and the graphics is somewhat bleh and he has some problems.

I wonder if these problems are related to the switch to the Vulcan API. Maybe Vulcan needs a bit of fixing?

Top Bottom