Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Umm... this is the No Man's Sky thread. Are you lost? :LOL:

the moment someone used the tautology "There's no such thing as 100% bug-free software" to make go figure what surreal argument this thread isn't about anything sensible anymore, really. ;)

You won't find much of an argument from me on that score, but again, there's lots of threads for Frontier bashing available. This one is for HG bashing. ;)

come here, you coward! fight! :mad:🤪

honestly, i don't really feel like hg bashing. not enough motivation.

So I've come across my first Ossified planet, yesterday, and just as with the glitch planets before, I'm amazed by the imaginative power over at Hello Games. It's a brilliant idea.

And also, as I dive deeper into the lore and the story, nearing my first 100 hours in game, I have to say they are... quite profound and genuinely interesting. For "Minecraft in space" at least.

well I've created a new save and disabled all the network options to keep the plebs out of my game. ;)......my key bindings wouldn't work so I set about rebinding them......WHYYYYYY HG WHYYYYYYYYYY. :(

x and middle mouse button are unuseable now because they revert to default and or wipe the binding clean...Fer gawds sakes.... key binding has never been the games strong point being clunky but this decison is noob level dev nonsense....USE KEYS LIKE ESC for that, y'know keys no-one use to actually control the game. I use the same controls in ALL my FPS stuff X is activate/use/whatever and I use middle mouse to zoom...now I can't. So 30 years or so of muscle memory gone down the pan. Cheers HG. :(

oh yeah and why can I STILL not use the other two buttons on my mouse?!!!!!

Last edited:
...x and middle mouse button are unuseable now because they revert to default and or wipe the binding clean...

I had to 'revert to base bindings' (or similar) for x to be re-assigned to 'quick-menu' (or whatever the default binding is). That's the only way I've made 'x' usable. But, yes, it's maddening... my language was such that I was relieved that wifey and even Bob (the dog) were out.

Discovered a new situation I haven't done before. I found a distressed NPC with a broken ship. I helped him repair it and he thanked me and took off. Only bother was that I liked his ship and wanted to buy it but he didn't offer it. :/ This was really cool though. A little short story in the middle of everything.

...And in this spirit, my play this afternoon has been completely freeze-free.......

'Hurrah', ten minutes in and the freezes are back. I'm 'overjoyed'.

:cry::cry::cry:

Edit: How is it possible that the galaxy map is STILL absolutely dreadful. Navigation/control/common sense STILL seems completely absent.... I despair when required to use it, and it is a major blocker to my enjoyment of the game, although it's far from the only example of inconsistent/incoherent controls.... the whole control paradigm needs to be rethought, from the top up and the bottom down. Sitting through the same inescapable dialogue 90% of the time is also grind - just saying.

Last edited:
Anyone else getting huge big blocks of crappy shadows moving around?

also does anyone know of a program that'll let me assign different keys around (like joy2key...but just keys)?

Edit: How is it possible that the galaxy map is STILL absolutely dreadful. Navigation/control/common sense STILL seems completely absent.... I despair when required to use it, and it is a major blocker to my enjoyment of the game, although it's far from the only example of inconsistent/incoherent controls....
Yeah, I'm completely lost in the gal map and I've barely gone anywhere. I can only imagine how bad it's going to be when I'm really ranging far and wide.

I had regular freezes on the 3xperimental branch this weekend, but since switching back to the 'live' build the freezes have stopped. May be unrelated, but if you're using that branch, unless it offers something you can't live without, it might be worth reverting.

Edit: How is it possible that the galaxy map is STILL absolutely dreadful. Navigation/control/common sense STILL seems completely absent.... I despair when required to use it, and it is a major blocker to my enjoyment of the game, although it's far from the only example of inconsistent/incoherent controls.... the whole control paradigm needs to be rethought, from the top up and the bottom down. Sitting through the same inescapable dialogue 90% of the time is also grind - just saying.

Aye, the galaxy map in NMS leaves a lot to be desired - it's nowhere near as intuitive as that other space game. It also seems to be the only thing in NMS that has remained practically untouched since release. 🤷‍♀️ First thing I do when going into it is to right click, and that at least allows me to move... but if you're only checking systems out, it's very easy to warp to them by mistake.

Question for you NMS freaks out there.

I spent a very lazy bank holiday yesterday starting a game in 'Survival' mode. Not tried it before, so it was interesting.

Died fairly early on whilst trying to get the Hermetic Seal as part of the "fix up starship" quest. Prior to that, I'd been collecting materials furiously, but Sodium was hard to come by so I died in an ice storm. Still had lots of Ferrite, Oxygen and Carbon though, as well as a few other things.

When I died, I just waited for the storm to pass then did it again. It wasn't until I was off planet that I realised that my inventory was completely empty! At first I thought it was a bug... then it dawned on me... I didn't go back to my grave and restore lost inventory. D'oh! 🤦‍♀️

So, my question is, is that gone now? Is there a way of going back to your old graves once you leave the planet?

I have to say I must be really lucky. Which normally isn't the case, too. I've beed spared of all the bugs people are talking about, though I do feel for you.

I had one glitch, so far, but it was a funny one. Just as I was clicking "buy freighter" it simply disappeared, leaving me to die alone, floating in space. :LOL:

Honestly I don't know how somebody can play this (and Subnautica is the same) in the ironman mode. If the game contains even a single glitch that can kill you, no matter how careful you are, it's not worth the stress, imho.

Top Bottom