Most and least favorite ships.

Over the nearly 3 years of ED I have cycled through 40 ships, currently owning 20, Big 3 (4) included. This is my fleet and my take on each of them:

Hauler
Totally skipped this ship on my early days and went straight to Adder. Recently made sudden return from Colonia, ended in some strange place, neede something to taxi me home. Since never had Hauler - picked it for the job. Little flea, after many other ships not impressive. Keeping it as an oddity.

Adder
Great little ship, awesome range and fantastic looks. Tho I prefer left side seat (driver habit) I like right side seat as it reminds me motor boat - there wheel is on the right. Adder was my first ship I bought after SW and I will ever treat it as my first.

Cobra mk III
I think I may have that on my progress at some point. Tho it had to be briefly as I don't have much memories tied to it. Bought one after reaching Colonia - it was during 25th ED Anniversary and travel challenge. As the challenge met me while going to Colonia so I have contributed toward paintjob reward. It also happened to be my 25th ship so I got iconic Cobra, applied 25th Anniversary paint and mothballed it at Jameson.

DBX
Oh, this was fun one. My very first goal in ED. After Adder I got T-6 and grinded cargo missions to afford DBX. Looks awesome, offered (back then) massive range for the price and it was my first exploration ship I left Bubble with. Since money from my exploration trip wasn't exciting I sold it, bought another T-6 and grinded my way up to AspX. After many months I added DBX to my collection once again, as a thanks for getting me past 5k LYs for the first time.

iCourier
Tied closely to my Empire military ranking grind. At first I started in Adder, after unlocking iC i bought it and switched to it. Awesome ship and it felt totally appropriate to progress through military ranks in one. I did Federeal military grind in iC as well.

Vulture
Sometimes between T-6 and Asp I tried combat - at that price range people opted after Vulture so I got one. It was short career as I'm bad with combat. Sold it and only just recently re-added to my fleet with ambitious plans to use it once more, as a trainer.

AspX
Now we're getting serious, my second to-go ship, after DBX. I planned going to SagA* in DBX but failed and returned after ~6k LYs. What I failed to achieve in DBX I managed in AspX (33 LYs range). Awesome view, lots of internals, great jump range and after that decent mission and cargo runner. Sold as I needed credits for bigger ships. Recently re-bought to add to my collection as a tribute to the ship that took me to the center of the Galaxy and back.

T-7
Whim purchase. Totally whim purchase. At fisrt I totally didn't liked it. All of it. It costing over 17M. It being large ship despite obviously fitting medium pad. It looking like a brick. Skipped to never look back. Few months ago bought one as it started to look interesting. Kinda disappointed, planned to make it deep core miner but lack of size 2 weapon slot makes it impossible. Mothballed in dock, waiting for me to think a role for it.

Chieftain
Curuious ship. Got day one, brought home from dealer to never fly it again. After several months dusted off just to sell it. On my shopping spree got it again as I like the hull design. Currently puzzled what to use it for.

iClipper
One of real pearls in my collection. Looks fabulous, handles like a dream (despite being large) and generally it would be my top medium ship if... exactly, if it was medium ship. Being large makes it obsolete as there are ships performing better. So I have found another role - luxurious explorer. With my limited engineer access i have pushed it past 50 LYs of range and took on a trip around Bubble. Later ventured deep into space (was heading toward Sag), 1/3rd into I switched targets and ended in Colonia. Awesome ship.

Federal Gunship
Made exploration Elite, soon after finished trade Elite, combat rank Harmless... Having credits I wanted something bigger and better than Vulture, picked FGS. Still bad at combat, probably too soon for FGS. Maybe later.

Krait Phantom
After FDEVs implemented new exploration mechanics I needed ship to get me to "my" system - twin sun system I have discovered, ELW with 2x WWs. Tagged and discovered every rock there. And wanted to map as well. Roughly 5k LYs from the bubble so i had to hurry. Since that update introduced new ship so I bought one, quickly outfitted for exploration and made fast 5k LY there and 5k LYs back journey. Mapped whole system making it wholy mine.

Krait mk II
During my progression to Anaconda I was jumping from ship to ship, none of them truly calling "main". Before Krait it was Python, after Krait it is Krait. It has Falcon Millenium vibe, disc-ish shaped, 2 frontal claws, lots of internals and nice range. It quickly took my top spot.

FDL
People say FDL is for combat as a shield tank. I used mine FDL as a cargo runner. Terrible at that, not taking much but I liked it. Looks great, one of best looking ships, cockpit view included (yeah, I'm weird). It's a shame I cannot strip it from all combat value and turn it into cargo runner with more space. Currently awaiting outfitting which will turn it into proper bounty hunting vessel.

Mamba
Self given birthday gift. Made trading Elite, broke 1B mark and got myself Mamba as a private luxury sport taxi.

Python
After I came back from my SagA* run in AspX I had enough to buy Anaconda, which I did. 2 weeks later I wanted something smaller as fitting Anaconda through mailslot was stressing me too much. Picked Python and it turned immediately my main ship. Till Krait came, that is. Recently used one as deep core miner while in Colonia. Played perfectly. After return to the Bubble got Python once again and it will probably end as a deep core miner. Until T-7 gets class 2 weapon slot.

T-9
When I was just half a rank away from trading Elite i decided to push it to the final. Started with Anaconda for large cargo and found it's not enough. Need more. Didn't want Cutter at that time since I had other plans for that ship and since I never got T-9 before I decided to get one. Oh my... and I thought Anaconda and Cutter were slow turners... Long story short - got my Elite, T-9 worked like a charm and after that any other ship felt nible as prima ballerina.

Anaconda
My ultimate goal when I was starting my CMDR career. Well, Cutter was final goal but I was realistic that 200M will take ages and that rank unlock will take an eternity to get. So essentially what was within grasp was Anaconda. In the end got it faster than expected. After reaching AspX I went to SagA* and back. Upon return I had enough to buy Anaconda and could fulfill my goal. Bit disappointerd with handling, L-pad restrictions and mail slot being too small for my piloting skills. Used for some time and mothballed. now i have it in my fleet again and sometimes take for a spin or some larger quantities requiring missions.

Federal Corvette
I necer liked Federal ships, their design was kinda off putting. But not Corvette. While scraping credits to be able to afford DBX I have watched lots of videos and learing things about ED. There I saw Anaconda and Corvette for the first time. Great ships but unavailable for me. After doing Imperial military ranks I went after Federal because I could. And bought Corvette because I wanted.

iCutter
My final, ultimate and unreachable goal I was dreaming about, realizing I will probably never have one. At some point I have pushed hard military ranks and unlocked Cutter. Had enough to actually buy, did so and immediately felt in love. The looks, the size, the space... Other ships (beside Clipper and Courier) after Cutter felt so... pleb. I was King among peasants (literally and figuratively). I had Cutter and 3M in the bank... Due to that I had to re-assess my strategy and due to that I sold majority of my fleet, Big 3 included. Only recently I got my ships back, but now I have 20 of them and 850M in the bank.

It's hard to pick one least and one most favorite ship, every one of those I own has its value. But for the sake of topic:

Most favorite:
  • DBX
  • Krait mk II
  • Clipper
  • Cutter
Least favorite:
  • anything Saud Kruger
  • anything in 100k - 5M price range (minus DBX and AspX). I just don't fancy all those Cobras and Vipers
Why would you exclude the three best ships (saud kruger) from your list ?

I love 'em all, but then as an Imperial I've never flown Fed ships or the passenger class, so incomplete here. I don't like the Python cos collecting mats is a total a-s-s-ache in it, for me at least. Except I DO like the Python, its excellent for mining!!

Just waiting for the Panther Clipper....

BTW, a huge determination in what ships I fly is based on their sense of scale. For example, the Cobra III feels all wrong. Look around (headlook, non-VR) while inside a small hangar, and it just doesn't feel like I'm in a tiny cockpit (relatively speaking) sitting in the middle of a huge "wing". The Dolphin and Orca (and maybe Beluga, I've never owned one) on the other hand feels perfectly to scale because the cockpit mostly covers the beam of the ship.

The Anaconda is another ship that just doesn't feel properly big to me. Now once I can walk around my bridge and use parallax to get a sense of depth on my 2D screen, then perhaps the "nose" will feel big enough. The DBX is another ship that suffers scale issues IMO, as does the iCourier thanks to having a jet fighter cockpit the size of a basketball court... In contrast, A Type-9 (or even the T7) feels properly massive, and I like that. Now if we could only get some NPCs to man those extra seats!

The Anaconda is another ship that just doesn't feel properly big to me. Now once I can walk around my bridge and use parallax to get a sense of depth on my 2D screen, then perhaps the "nose" will feel big enough. The DBX is another ship that suffers scale issues IMO, as does the iCourier thanks to having a jet fighter cockpit the size of a basketball court... In contrast, A Type-9 (or even the T7) feels properly massive, and I like that. Now if we could only get some NPCs to man those extra seats!

you mention the iCourier's basketball court sized cockpit, that's how i felt about the vulture. I love the vulture's design but the cockpit could be the bridge of a capital ship.

you mention the iCourier's basketball court sized cockpit, that's how i felt about the vulture. I love the vulture's design but the cockpit could be the bridge of a capital ship.
No dispute there! The difference, at least for me, is that the Vulture cockpit feels that big as I look around. The iCourer cockpit feels like a jet fighter cockpit, so I have to constantly remind myself that I can crawl up and take a nap under what looks on screen like my car's dashboard. If I have to tell myself something is bigger than it appears, then I don't like it.

due to living in Colonia...I use the Python the most.

Vulture for anything in combat.
Anaconda ist for long range travelling and exploration
Cobra MK III for scanning missions
Keelback for soul and everything above
imperial Eagle for PVP. (well...you know...)

The Cobra Mk3 is just nostalgiaville for me. I
No dispute there! The difference, at least for me, is that the Vulture cockpit feels that big as I look around. The iCourer cockpit feels like a jet fighter cockpit, so I have to constantly remind myself that I can crawl up and take a nap under what looks on screen like my car's dashboard. If I have to tell myself something is bigger than it appears, then I don't like it.

🤣😂 sorry

Hmm. Well, the Beluga does have a special place in my fleet, as my personal "luxury yacht". I cruised in style to Beagle Point and back, with a luxury cabin onboard. And that trip got me 2.3 billion in explo data (LYR's 200% bonus helped). Great view from the bridge and surprising agility for a large ship.

Hard to pick a least-favourite, as I've only ever flown 17 ships, so there's many I don't seem to have a requirement for. Most notable would be the Anaconda, the only Large I've never owned.

Funships:
Sidewinder with Adv. Thrusters
Cobra
Keelback
Federal - Vulture, FDS, FAS and Gunship
Diamondback Scout
Chieftain
Eagles
Courier
Clipper
(T9/10 could be fun if you would like to feel you're in something real heavy)

Least favorite ship to fly
T-6 (ugh)
T-7 (ugh)
Beluga Liner (how people can explore in that thing along with Anaconda and Cutter)
Anaconda (overrated & cumbersome)
Federal Corvette (overrated, slow as a crocodile)
Fer de Lancé (ugly design and strut, srsly whose idea from fdev was to put that strut)
Asp Explorer (plain boooring)
Asp Scout (handles nicely but very frustrating many aspects)

Funships:
Sidewinder with Adv. Thrusters
Cobra
Keelback
Federal - Vulture, FDS, FAS and Gunship
Diamondback Scout
Chieftain
Eagles
Courier
Clipper
(T9/10 could be fun if you would like to feel you're in something real heavy)

Least favorite ship to fly
T-6 (ugh)
T-7 (ugh)
Beluga Liner (how people can explore in that thing along with Anaconda and Cutter)
Anaconda (overrated & cumbersome)
Federal Corvette (overrated, slow as a crocodile)
Fer de Lancé (ugly design and strut, srsly whose idea from fdev was to put that strut)
Asp Explorer (plain boooring)
Asp Scout (handles nicely but very frustrating many aspects)
The beluga liner has a great view, great supercuise handling, and 50ly range totally loaded down. You must have never flown one. I can agree with the anaconda and cutter though.

Top Bottom