Frontier's Annual Results have been published (June 2018 to May 2019), showing a record year and Elite passing 3 million basegame sales

That's just one of the typical nonsense statements that have been made about exploration overhaul, mining overhaul and the better USS system. And basically everything else they've added to the game. Some people constantly claim FDEV would just talk about things and never implement them and as soon as they get implemented people forget that they asked for it and demand something else.

But there are plenty of things that Frontier have talked about and haven't implemented, ship damage models, gas giant atmospheres, etc.

After nigh on a decade of development, wouldn't you have expected more than the original base game release?

But there are plenty of things that Frontier have talked about and haven't implemented, ship damage models, gas giant atmospheres, etc.
And development isn't over yet.

After nigh on a decade of development, wouldn't you have expected more than the original base game release?
We got more than the base game release.
Also you can't talk about a decade of development when you are talking about stuff that was implemented after release. That's less than half a decade. With dozens of major updates and new features.

Something that strikes me about space games that are pushing the envelope of programming experience:

Star Citizen - enormous team of clever people, extreme graphics detail, but little evidence of gaming progress over a long period of time.

No Man's Sky - miniscule team of clever people, only moderate graphics detail and very strong gaming progress in a short period of time.

Elite Dangerous is between the two - a team of clever people certainly, between SC and NMS in size and making steady progress forwards with quality graphics, but not as fast as NMS.

It seems that, as in much of business life, the smaller the team, the more efficient is the operation. Yet the sense of immersion with graphics, sound, etc. probably suffers. But when we look back in 10 years' time who will we judge as having had the most compelling quality product ? Food for thought, but I'm not asking for answers about this. Only time will tell.

I would like to point out that none of this is my fault....

You're right, this pie chart confirms it

IoDUKXC.png

Something that strikes me about space games that are pushing the envelope of programming experience:

Star Citizen - enormous team of clever people, extreme graphics detail, but little evidence of gaming progress over a long period of time.

No Man's Sky - miniscule team of clever people, only moderate graphics detail and very strong gaming progress in a short period of time.

Elite Dangerous is between the two - a team of clever people certainly, between SC and NMS in size and making steady progress forwards with quality graphics, but not as fast as NMS.

It seems that, as in much of business life, the smaller the team, the more efficient is the operation. Yet the sense of immersion with graphics, sound, etc. probably suffers. But when we look back in 10 years' time who will we judge as having had the most compelling quality product ? Food for thought, but I'm not asking for answers about this. Only time will tell.
Who would have thought that quality graphics takes time to achieve.

Maybe, but I'd never back another Frontier KickStarter. Fool me once ....
Would you back another space sim kickstarter at all? I'm thinking SC experience here.

At least FD have financial stability, a strong base from which they are moving forward, and with a clear commitment to Elite Dangerous making their business successful in the foreseeable future. I doubt they would need another kickstarter with the business model they have developed.

Would you back another space sim kickstarter at all? I'm thinking SC experience here.

At least FD have financial stability, a strong base from which they are moving forward, and with a clear commitment to Elite Dangerous making their business successful in the foreseeable future. I doubt they would need another kickstarter with the business model they have developed.
Too late, SC had my $35 (but no more) before the ED KickStarter was a twinkle in David Braben's eye. You won't be surprised to know that Chris Roberts isn't getting another penny until he delivers ...... something :)

Saying anything is still possible because Elite Dangerous hasn't been canned yet is hardly an argument either.
Considering they are doing exactly what they told us they want to do, yes, it is. Until they stop doing it. They just announced we'll get one part of the 'development roadmap' in December and we'll get another part of it end of next year. Chances are pretty high it will be one of the Kickstarter promises again. As long as the development of the game continues it's pretty nonsensical to claim they wouldn't fulfill their 'promises'.

Top Bottom