Departing Frontier Station, for deep space, Commanders

o7 Brett, I wish you the very best of luck in your future endeavours. Always follow your hearts desire and keep life interesting buddy.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Well today is the sad day that the one and only Brettykins, he of the appalling taste in music (and when I say appalling I really mean appalling!!!) and his unholy obsession with the weather who seemed to delight in forcing me to watch his webcams of a barren field where a leaf was moving in a slight breeze in the god awful rural backwaters of somepleace in the colonies or a spider which had made a web on his lens is departing the Community Management team after 13 years here on the forums firstly as a Mod then the Forum Community Manager.

The vast amount of hard work and dedication Brett has made over the years much of it in the background and unseen by the general community shouldn't be underestimated.

For example: When ED was announced and then launched back in 2014 we the mods (Steve B O'Have, Geraldine, Styggron and myself) and Brett were all pulling at least 20 hour shifts day after day to keep the forum from sinking under the weight of approving new forum members and their posts which after having only 15 of us here before was a torrential downpour of work and Brett was there with us mumbling incomprehensible oaths as we ploughed through the approvals, reports and welcoming all the new posters to our quiet little corner of the internet.

With the launch of Planet Coaster, Brett built designed and worked long hours on the new PC forum to make it look as amazing as it did,

He worked extensively on multiple forum updated and the switch from Vb to Xenforo which was not easy to say the least.

Through out all the years I've been here (12+ now) I come to think of it) Brett has been a constant reassuring presence who worked tirelessly to help build this amazing community we are all a part of.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish Brett all the very best for the future and I know where ever he ends up he will be a much valued asset.

o7

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for all the hard work Brett C. However, now that you're leaving everything can be now blamed on you and not TJ. 😏

giphy.gif

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Well today is the sad day that the one and only Brettykins, he of the appalling taste in music (and when I say appalling I really mean appalling!!!) and his unholy obsession with the weather who seemed to delight in forcing me to watch his webcams of a barren field where a leaf was moving in a slight breeze in the god awful rural backwaters of somepleace in the colonies or a spider which had made a web on his lens is departing the Community Management team after 13 years here on the forums firstly as a Mod then the Forum Community Manager.

The vast amount of hard work and dedication Brett has made over the years much of it in the background and unseen by the general community shouldn't be underestimated.

For example: When ED was announced and then launched back in 2014 we the mods (Steve B O'Have, Geraldine, Styggron and myself) and Brett were all pulling at least 20 hour shifts day after day to keep the forum from sinking under the weight of approving new forum members and their posts which after having only 15 of us here before was a torrential downpour of work and Brett was there with us mumbling incomprehensible oaths as we ploughed through the approvals, reports and welcoming all the new posters to our quiet little corner of the internet.

With the launch of Planet Coaster, Brett built designed and worked long hours on the new PC forum to make it look as amazing as it did,

He worked extensively on multiple forum updated and the switch from Vb to Xenforo which was not easy to say the least.

Through out all the years I've been here (12+ now) I come to think of it) Brett has been a constant reassuring presence who worked tirelessly to help build this amazing community we are all a part of.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish Brett all the very best for the future and I know where ever he ends up he will be a much valued asset.

o7

Let's not forget the fact that he was always available to jump at issues regardless of the hour - be it 2 AM, 11 PM or whatever. (I'm pretty sure he's an android that runs purely on a BBQ sauce). I don't know how he did it, but whenever we pinged Brett for an urgent attention, he was pretty much instantly there, handling things behind the scenes. Vast majority of what Brett did happened in the background, but be assured he was always there, always watching and making sure these forums were up and running as smoothly as possible.

He's kind of a Richelieu of Frontier forums :D

All the best Brett! I will miss you greatly dude :(

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

o7
😭

Joël

Volunteer Moderator

o7

Well said, T.j

o7 BrettC

It must have been helpful for FD to have someone in the States who could react to forum events when UK was fast asleep. But, unless he was prepared to move to Cambridge*, I doubt they could offer him an upgrade path.

*One of those odd places in the world where there is very little weather.

Good luck Brett ...... game's doomed now.

So long, Mr C. Without irony or sarcasm, I do hope you're proud of yourself: you helped make one of the most fantastic fora on the internet.
Happy trails, 07 and thank you. :)

It must have been helpful for FD to have someone in the States who could react to forum events when UK was fast asleep. But, unless he was prepared to move to Cambridge*, I doubt they could offer him an upgrade path.

*One of those odd places in the world where there is very little weather.

Good luck Brett ...... game's doomed now.
Someone still needs to be there to wake them up. :(

Greetings Commanders,

Let me start by saying that all of you are awesome, dedicated, devoted, maybe a little fanatic, and ultimately, true to the community. From the explorers and alien hunters to our PVP players, and everyone in-between, all of you make Elite what it is. Without you, the Elite Dangerous community wouldn't be where it has evolved to today.

Watching and helping the Elite community grow on the forums, from about a mere 15 of you in the old Elite section (you know who you are on these forums from way back when!) to the many thousands of you today, with a heavy heart, the 6th of September will be my last day at Frontier Developments.

It's been an incredible four years serving as one of your Community Managers. It has been a great pleasure seeing the yearly Frontier stream, watching the donations for charity come in for a great cause. I love seeing the events that you all in the community have performed over the years, from Buckyball to Distant Worlds, Fuel Rats rescue live streams, even the PVP community events. Watching the sheer excitement within the community when the ‘Unknown Artefacts’ came to be, and when Thargoids made their grand entrance, was something I won't forget. Every week, and continuing to this day, the /r/EliteDangerous subreddit always had something interesting posted - be it a discussion, media or screenshots, or a meme ( or an attempt thereof ;) ). I think Space Booty, the 'this is fine' comic, and the 'how to land' brick gif are still my favorites on there! It goes to show the real dynamism of the community, and how different everyone's playstyle is!

To give a little bit of history, I came to the Frontier forums in 2006 as a volunteer moderator primarily for the RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 section. If it weren't for Michael Brookes putting out his hand back in 2006, I wouldn't have been here today, and I am gratefully indebted to him for opening the door back then. Fast forward to 2015, and I was brought on as your Forum Community Manager and begun the long journey to growing out the Elite community on the forums.

Looking at today and in retrospect, I am humbled to see the Elite community so active and thriving on various social media sites and numerous other communities. Not to forget, there are so many Discord servers for Elite, that you all managed to make me reach the 100-server limit cap for quite some time! Every community and group within Elite are unique – I’ve seen it time and time again when browsing (lurking) through various servers that you all have invited me to idle on.

Over the years, I've met many faces, talked to many people - be it real life or virtually, maybe both in some cases! I've met many great people with my tenure at Frontier; there's no doubt about that.

With my parting words, looking forward before I turn the page into a new chapter, the future for Elite is bright... good things come in due time.

Thank you for the wonderful times, Commanders.

Respectfully,
Brett C
Fly safe wherever you go (or just blast your own trail through whatever is in the way)!
See you in the black! o7

Top Bottom