News Important Mac announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
:) I got a wrist slap for my reply to you, which is nice, obviously the problem is not your sniffy comment, but my response, rather than the £50 I paid for a game I'm not longer going to be able to play.

Well done volunteer mod, finger on the pulse right there.

Umm, it twas not me, I took it as God Forgives You... 🤔

And you can play, on windows which you can get for free (or very little), or on Linux which will also run on your mac... You just can't play on OSX.

Umm, it twas not me, I took it as God Forgives You... 🤔

And you can play, on windows which you can get for free (or very little), or on Linux which will also run on your mac... You just can't play on OSX.

I don't have the space to install Windows in boot-camp for one game and, to be frank, why should I? I bought the game because It ran on Mac.

It's all I've ever payed for, amazon has/had loads available worked every time.

Even better though, it loses no useful functionality if you just install it and don't bother paying for a key. Windows 10 literally costs no money at all, legally, you just have to put up with a single background and a watermark.
Interesting.

Microsoft really wants to keep its huge monopoly.

I don't have the space to install Windows in boot-camp for one game and, to be frank, why should I? I bought the game because It ran on Mac.

I originally bought the game for my macbook 2013 laptop. Played a year, before building an EGPU for higher resolution. Did the free bootcamp, on a 2nd drive, and did the windows elite, and egpu. It will play on your mac. It will not play on your OS. The issues isn't your hardware, which the game was bought for.

I also work on a project, that had issues with GPU after mac updated, causing our Unity code not to work. We figured out how to patch it. Took a week. I don't know why frontier can't patch their mac version... but again - we are running unity for 3d. I don't know what they are running for backend.

I originally bought the game for my macbook 2013 laptop. Played a year, before building an EGPU for higher resolution. Did the free bootcamp, on a 2nd drive, and did the windows elite, and egpu. It will play on your mac. It will not play on your OS. The issues isn't your hardware, which the game was bought for.

I also work on a project, that had issues with GPU after mac updated, causing our Unity code not to work. We figured out how to patch it. Took a week. I don't know why frontier can't patch their mac version... but again - we are running unity for 3d. I don't know what they are running for backend.
Its not an issue with the GPU. Its an issue with apple not upgrading open gl for years so what FDev can do on the mac is limited. Also metal just isn't up to scratch to pull of Fdev does in ED it seems.

As promised, back playing Elite Dangerous in macOS

They are running their own engine called Cobra.
They don’t see sufficient ROI for continued MacOS development.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
I don't think Frontier ever explicitly gave that as a reason for ceasing macOS development.

I'm sure they did:

Hello Commanders,

It is with great sadness that we must announce the upcoming end of Elite Dangerous on Mac.

Firstly, we want to reassure you that this decision did not come lightly and is something that we have been investigating for some time. As many of you will know, despite our best efforts, we have been unable to bring Elite Dangerous Horizons to Mac since launch due to technical barriers. With the planned improvements coming in our Chapter Four update of the Beyond season we have felt it necessary to make this difficult decision in order to allow us to bring in content and features in the way that we felt was best for the overall Elite Dangerous experience. It is for this reason that we wanted to give you as much notice as possible. With the release of the Q4 update, coming towards the end of the year, you will no longer be able to play Elite Dangerous on Mac. As soon as we have a date of the update to share, we will do so here.

At the point of the Q4 update, you will no longer be able to access Elite Dangerous products through the Mac OS. However, you will still be able to log into your account on PC (or via Bootcamp.)

We hope you will understand why we have taken this course of action and would encourage those of you who have questions or concerns, to please contact our Support Team HERE who are on hand and ready to help!

Thanks again,

Ed and the Elite Dangerous team

In this alternative timeline Morgana beat Merlin to it and slept with aurthur taking over the kingdom and establishing her own!

Sure when he has another idea that require affluent MAC demographics to fund

just bootcamp win 10 already. you MAC people are better and smarter than playing games in OSX. I started Elite in 2015 with my 2013 macbook pro - built a EGPU that worked fine with win10 bootcamp. Took two evenings to rig together and jumper the PSU for booting the EGPU on the thunderbolt to PCIE card.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom