Memorial for a fallen CMDR - Suggestion

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Oh holy hell, this is freaking hilarious!

Yeah, too much work to change text on a station! Archumbalt!

Source: https://youtu.be/a84KUyLynDA

I do understand that this doesn't appear to be much work, however each memorial takes a considerable amount of time to implement, no matter how seemingly simple to do. I would like to mention that we've also had to refuse other memorials, and it would be unfair of us to honor one of them over another at this point in time. I hope you understand.

I do understand that this doesn't appear to be much work, however each memorial takes a considerable amount of time to implement, no matter how seemingly simple to do. I would like to mention that we've also had to refuse other memorials, and it would be unfair of us to honor one of them over another at this point in time. I hope you understand.
I guess this isn't really a thing that is considered when designing an online game. Can you say of how many you learn that pass away?

It’s always sad hearing a person enjoying this beautiful passing away.

But despite this, I personally find Fdevs position reasonable. There are many people playing this game and unfortunately some of them will pass away from time to time.

Also renaming stations affects all other players. Personally I like the name Cyllene Orbital and would miss it if it was removed from the game (despite the good cause), I’m sure there are other ways to remember then renaming stations.

My condolences for the fallen CMDR but I agree that FD's response is more than reasonable. I've seen so many people asking them to do memorials (for pets too) and if they do it for one they'll have to for everyone, meanwhile we're asking them for space legs and atmospheric landings...nothing wrong with asking and while it does sound like a good cause, I think they've got enough on their plate for now.

This game is absolutely amazing (it's the only reason I use my Rift regularly) and likewise has a great community as evidenced by this thread, I for one think they're doing a fantastic job and can only hope they keep up the great work. There are definitely other ways to honor the fallen, and not all have to be within this game.

Last edited:
Look, I just came back from a trip, and managed to read this for the first time really since I posted it.

First, I'd like to thank all the CMDRs here for their kind words. It sucks to have something like this happen, and P3n was someone I considered a friend, not just an online gaming buddy.

I'm a bit disappointed that there wont be an in-game memorial for a commander who went above and beyond for his squad, spent months of in-depth research into the lore to solve the Raxxla and Formadine Rift mysteries, and truly played Elite with the spirit in which it's meant to be played while giving other players that same energy.

That being said, I understand resource limitations are an issue and there are alot of major changes coming to the game. I hope that, in the future, you guys can honor these requests. I do appreciate the relatively quick response.

I do at least want to say thank you for even taking the time to look at this thread. I do understand about the resources being taken up because making changes on the fly in a game isnt easy to start with. I'm just glad you guys take the time to even respond when you really dont have to. So thank you for at least coming here and saying something. Hopefully one day you can find a way to honor people in some way that isnt resource intensive as it is now.

o7

I, too, had a very nice reply about the loss of a loved one and I appreciate that it was a request for a favour and understood the lack of resources to do it.

I wonder if I might humbly propose the following: add each request to a list such that when a station is named, and added to the game you take the name off the list and use it, be it for a station, port, planetary body or what ever. This is, of course, assuming that names are being added to our universe manually and the names we see are not part of that dark magic you use [ i.e. procedural generation :) ] Afterall, if you're naming a station anyway ... <cheeky grin>

Again, I understand if the answer is still no but I wonder [perhaps hopefully] if it is becoming increasingly difficult to think of names yourselves. I would visit my memorial place even if it meant making my first trip to Colonia.

Last edited:
Hey there Commanders,

Thanks for this thread and for sharing all your messages. We wish to extend our deepest condolences to CMDR P3ndra6n's family and friends, and hope they're able to heal from this terrible loss.

While we'd love to help the Galactic Pathfinding Group in immortalize CMDR P3ndra6n, unfortunately at this time we're unable to add any new memorials into the game. This is because we can't currently dedicate the time and resources that each memorial deserves to be able to do it justice, and we wouldn't want to let anyone down. We hope you understand, but please do get in touch with any further questions.

-Paige

Understood. And that is everything I'm going to say about that.

Hey Commanders, after speaking with @Krasche for a little while, just wanted to draw your attention to today's Instagram post. We hope it helps a little. http://instagr.am/p/B2ENBYHlZSz/ Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2ENBYHlZSz/
I tried to reply to your message in PM Paige, but the system decided my message was "spam" and wouldn't let me send it. So I'll say it here:

Thank you. I know you guys are incredibly busy, as we discussed. And while we envisioned something in game, we do recognize the resources to make that happen are a bit stretched with bug fixes and large updates that are only a couple months away. The fact that your team took the time to take this seriously despite the constraints on both time and resources says a lot, and it isn't something we are going to forget.

So from myself, and on behalf of CMDR P3ndra6n himself, thank you. O7

RIP CMDR.

I agree that the Tionisla ship graveyard would be the logical place for memorials, long term. Someone reports a player's passing, their account is rendered inactive, their name is appended to some sort of beacon-based Roll of Honour and a hull asset of the last (or most popular) ship they flew is added to the graveyard instance (or to one of several instances, if the game is live long enough for asset numbers to become a problem). It fits with lore, it's doable with existing mechanics, and it would be available to any fallen CMDR. It's even easily reversed, should someone troll FD with a fake request.

It would require a lot of initial effort but once implemented it should scale, and a central location accessible to everyone should avoid any territorial issues with the stations or beacons in other existing systems.

In the meantime, when we get fleet carriers and assuming they're nameable, could one of P3ndrag6n's squadron purchase a carrier, name it P3ndrag6n Memorial or similar, open it up to all players* and permanently park it somewhere in the Atlas system? I realise it's not exactly the same as having a station renamed, but it wouldn't require assistance from FD and as far as I know these things, although instanced, will be both permanent persistent (unless sold by the owner, I guess) and indestructible.

*assuming one can give access to a carrier's bays without granting authority to, say, refuel
it or make it jump. If permissions aren't so nuanced, it may have to be locked down.

What FD means to say, I think, is, "If we do this for you, we'll have to do it for everyone."
That almost certainly is what they're saying. I guess they're just addressing it with a degree of sensitivity in the hope that the community will do the same.

Last edited:
In the meantime, when we get fleet carriers and assuming they're nameable, could one of P3ndrag6n's squadron purchase a carrier, name it P3ndrag6n Memorial or similar, open it up to all players* and permanently park it somewhere in the Atlas system?
My Fleet Carrier is going to be named "P3ndra6n's Reach" (assuming enough characters are available, otherwise it will be "The Reach". However, in the spirit of exploration, which was our goal in GPG, I'll be moving it around frequently.

These sorts of requests turn up often enough to warrant a certain sort of Official Methodology.

I would, therefore, propose the establishment of the Commander’s Memorial, somewhere centrally located in bubble-space. This would be a large, free-standing Memorial listing our dearly departed, in it’s own instance, with an instance-wide No Fire Zone. Interacting with the Memorial via Data Link Scanner could bring up a menu where we could then search for those memorialized here, read a little 250 words-or-less about them, pay our respects, and reflect in peace.

Fallout 4 had a seriously touching memorial in the Nuka World expansion. It was to a single guy who loved F4 and Fallout in general. They put his likeness in-game, just hanging out on his trailer. It's something to check out if you haven't seen it.

That means I’d have to check out Fallout 1, 2, and 3 as well, since I generally dislike missing out in series games, but... I have seen a few of these in a number of games that have been deeply moving. It speaks volumes for companies that do these sorts of things for their players.

RIP CMDR.

I agree that the Tionisla ship graveyard would be the logical place for memorials, long term. Someone reports a player's passing, their account is rendered inactive, their name is appended to some sort of beacon-based Roll of Honour and a hull asset of the last (or most popular) ship they flew is added to the graveyard instance (or to one of several instances, if the game is live long enough for asset numbers to become a problem). It fits with lore, it's doable with existing mechanics, and it would be available to any fallen CMDR. It's even easily reversed, should someone troll FD with a fake request.

It would require a lot of initial effort but once implemented it should scale, and a central location accessible to everyone should avoid any territorial issues with the stations or beacons in other existing systems.

I guess too, this may be the best solution.
Is there something the community can do? Maybe some help with sketches, drawings, visual concepts and so on? Maybe some kind of voluntary targeted donation for the construction of such a graveyard (I mean a small amount, comparable to a package of skins)?

Yeah, I can't blame you there. A better solution would be a general memorial to everyone who's passed. Maybe a tourist beacon somewhere beautiful.

Top Bottom