Frontier's Annual Results have been published (June 2018 to May 2019), showing a record year and Elite passing 3 million basegame sales

Not wishing to sound condescending, but is English your first language? Because I asked a question, which you quoted, and then replied with a rather succinct and unambiguous:

Edit: OT - I wish for continued success and growth for FDev, wish I’d actually bought some shares back at the Kickstarter (I did consider it for a few days), and hope that it means we’ll eventually get some of the planned features from back then - my personal one is the cloud-tech used as a background in one of Mr B’s Dev vids.
FDev went public in 2015 - purchasing FDev shares wasn't possible before then.

@StuartGT
Is that chart supposed to be earnings per financial year? Bit worrying that ED isn't reflecting a big increase post the 2020 update (whether it reflects in 2020 or 2021, neither year shows a material uplift). I wonder why analysts aren't estimating a forecast increase in earnings from ED. I note Liberium have caveated that the 2020 updated could generate more revenue than forecast....but that doesn't change the fact the share price has dropped materially. Perhaps it's undervalued in the market (ie it may have a low price/earnings ratio relative to peers). Or it may have been a bit overpriced. It could also be industry-wide (I did read that the beta of FDev to the game developer industry is quite high, so it will likely be more volatile than the industry average). Where's a Bloomberg terminal when I need one? Lol

(For some reason I'm having trouble quoting the post being referenced)
u6etn5U.gif

The desperation to find "doom" somewhere, anywhere, is palpable.

I refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to my previous answer:

If Mr B would like to interject at any time with his actual meaning for the phrase...I’m sure that’d clear things right up :)

OT: ...although it’s never been hinted at, could buckets of cash chucked at ED eventually give us something like more Station types? I’d love to see a return of the Dodo.
Braben's "Winter Is Coming" comment was referring to the Thargoid interdictions that began appearing January 2017 (Winter is 21st Dec to 20th Mar). I asked him this in person.

The Thargoid interdictions themselves were an extremely popular event, even for those not playing Elite.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/5m9qkz Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/5m9qkz/elite_dangerous_player_has_first_contact_with/

Braben's "Winter Is Coming" comment was referring to the Thargoid interdictions that began appearing January 2017 (Winter is 21st Dec to 20th Mar). I asked him this in person.
Well there’s a thing. Nice to hear it straight (-ish, second hand) from the horse’s mouth. I’ll assume Winter arrived when 2.4 popped up in Sept 2017 then. I still think that if FDev had managed to keep to their original schedule, Winter would’ve been a year earlier.
The Thargoid interdictions themselves were an extremely popular event, even for those not playing Elite.
Yes, I was fortunate enough to experience one in March (or thereabouts) 2017, very cool. Not as cool as the triple Thargoid one I had last month, but then again, I’m in VR now so most things in ED are cool+

Well there’s a thing. Nice to hear it straight (-ish, second hand) from the horse’s mouth. I’ll assume Winter arrived when 2.4 popped up in Sept 2017 then. I still think that if FDev had managed to keep to their original schedule, Winter would’ve been a year earlier.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to experience one in March (or thereabouts) 2017, very cool. Not as cool as the triple Thargoid one I had last month, but then again, I’m in VR now so most things in ED are cool+
Fair enough. Note that if FDev had planned for 2.4 to originally launch in the Winter directly following Autumn/Fall 2016, then the update itself would have landed sometime during January and 20th March 2017 (the end of Winter).

It won't have arrived before the end of 2016, because Winter begins Dec 21st (a Wednesday in 2016), and FDev won't launch a major update during the week before the Xmas/NewYear break (hotfixes they will though).

As we now know, 2.4 launched on 26th September in Autumn 2017, over six months after the previous Winter ended.

Fair enough. Note that if FDev had planned for 2.4 to originally launch in the Winter directly following Autumn/Fall 2016, then the update itself would have landed sometime during January and 20th March 2017 (the end of Winter).

It won't have arrived before the end of 2016, because Winter begins Dec 21st (a Wednesday in 2016), and FDev won't launch a major update during the week before the Xmas/NewYear break (hotfixes they will though).

As we now know, 2.4 launched on 26th September in Autumn 2017, over six months after the previous Winter ended.
Aye, sort of what I was saying earlier about when the Horizon schedule was published, what I thought was going to happen from Winter through the next year.

As for the part I’ve highlighted - I could’ve sworn Horizons got released 15 Dec 2015 :)

Most things in general in VR is cool (check out subnautica, NMS and any racing game.

But ED in VR is a whole new level. At times I honestly still get surprised by it even after more than 5 years and 1000s of hrs in ED VR and the feelings it generates. The experience in elite will keep me coming back to it again and again and it really is an easy decision to recommend it for the low price of entry if VR is your interest.

I just wish the game inside the experience was better put together beyond the core nuts and bolts. (Visuals, sound, flight / driving model, VR support and galaxy generation I personally never fault)

Last edited:

DeletedUser191218

D
u6etn5U.gif

The desperation to find "doom" somewhere, anywhere, is palpable.

It's called acknowledging reality. It's appropriate to point out, in a thread concerning the company's financial position, that the share price has crashed a bit. I'm sorry if that bothers you. This is kind of my job. If we took the approach of not wondering why analysts do not factor in particularly encouraging earnings growth which has in turn resulted in the company being valued lower, I doubt we'd be in business long. Unfortunately, I can't present a Big Lebowski meme as an excuse to ignore poor share-price performance in my professional life.

Most things in general in VR is cool (check out subnautica, NMS and any racing game.

But ED in VR is a whole new level. At times I honestly still get surprised by it even after more than 5 years and 1000s of hrs in ED VR and the feelings it generates. The experience in elite will keep me coming back to it again and again and it really is an easy decision to recommend it for the low price of entry if VR is your interest.

I just wish the game inside the experience was better put together beyond the core nuts and bolts.
I hope some of the stuff in the financial report are hints that FDev are going to release ED for the next lot of consoles due out towards the end of next year, and I hope that it works with the next-gen PSVR.

I’d love for more players to be able to experience ED for real, as it were :)

Powderpanic

Banned
It's called acknowledging reality. It's appropriate to point out, in a thread concerning the company's financial position, that the share price has crashed a bit. I'm sorry if that bothers you. This is kind of my job. If we took the approach of not wondering why analysts do not factor in particularly encouraging earnings growth which has in turn resulted in the company being valued lower, I doubt we'd be in business long. Unfortunately, I can't present a Big Lebowski meme as an excuse to ignore poor share-price performance in my professional life.

This forum does not welcome anything but praise for FDEV. How do you not know this?

Powderpanic
The Voice of Griefing

So if the development took 50 years, there'd still be no way to decide whether it was slow or not? It's kind of sad to see the standard space software that must not be named excuse trotted out to defend Frontier's lack of progress on the updates they said themselves are coming.

Unless of course 2020 vision contains all that was trailed and more. Who knows, because Frontier refuse to let that information slip to their 'vibarant community'.

In any case, the expression "New Age" is strong of meaning.

This expression should not be used lightly.

I find the term "New Age" to be rather unfortunate. With all the connotations it has these days, I I consider it Sew Age with defective spelling.

Serious question: Why does FDev need to entice existing players to return or keep playing?
I can only just speak for myself but not much. Having a break right now but will go back again after a break regardless. There is lots of things I want if I am to fall in love again tho (funnily enough not necessarily big ticket features like legs or atmospherics for me, they are cool and all but there are loads of little things which would also do it for me)

Top Bottom