Rift S...

Although the game is outputting 40fps the player is still seeing 80fps due to ASW - in the headset motion still appears smooth but there are graphical artefacts; all I see are occasional wobbly lines on the HUD, or the bulkheads going a bit funny when the pad rotates in the hangar.

And the ability to slow down the frame rate, which is implemented in the latest driver from NVIDIA- can help with reducing the feeling of dizziness?

Is that the low-latency option that just got introduced?

I wouldn’t mess with that, from what I’ve read you run the risk of introducing stutter in VR.

Normally, if you’re getting stutter on planet surfaces then the game is dropping below 40fps - you’d need to adjust game graphics settings to compensate.

If you are stutter-free and still feel nauseous then try the comfort options in the graphics menu - failing that, you could try building up resistance by going for short SRV trips over the course of a week or two.

If you press CTRL F then the FPS rate will appear in the bottom left of your desktop screen, you should be seeing either 80fps or 40fps.

Last edited:
I don't think this has anything to do with Rift S vs another headset. People make a way bigger deal about 80 vs 90 than it deserves.
It's plenty smooth. I mean, do make sure you're not dropping tons of frames below 40fps, but I doubt it's your settings. It's a very jarring experience!

The issue is planet surface is a rough place with lots of motion! In space it's much easier to let the motion go by without really "feeling" it. Try flying up to a large structure and doing lots of flip moves with the structure in your field of vision. Flying over a surface and banking/barell rolling will "feel" more than that, and then of course, a rough area of planet surface will be the worst about this feeling.

When I first got my headset, just lifting off and exiting the station was enough to make me feel like I was falling off my chair and off the earth.
After about week of getting used to it I can do about anything and feel fine. Still to this day, planet surface is the worst place, though I'm good for mostly flat areas over long trips.
When I go material hunting at GEO sites, if they are in a rough, bumpy place... I still have to find another site that's more flat, or switch to flat panel.

You're not the only one and I don't think it's your settings.

And the ability to slow down the frame rate, which is implemented in the latest driver from NVIDIA- can help with reducing the feeling of dizziness?

This doesn't do what I think you're thinking it does.
It's a lower pre-rendered frames setting of zero. When previously the lowest setting was 1.

In VR you wouldn't ever want any pre-rendered frames, but this would only come into play if your system was producing more than 1 frame per cycle, which will never happen when a system is even close to using ASW, since then it would be producing less than 1 frame per cycle.
Anyway the draw call path is different so that doesn't really come into play in VR.
Some testers have said that setting either doesn't seem to do anything, or lowers their performance slightly. Maybe it's lowering performance on a system that is going into ASW, by further delaying the start time on the odd numbered frames, since it won't start on them until the even frames (produced by ASW) are finished?

Everything is good when playing Elite in virtual reality mode. Only when traveling on the surfaces of planets-sometimes there is a feeling of dizziness. Is that just for me? It is necessary at the time of trips to the planets surfaces to disable virtual reality and to use a normal monitor screen. After takeoff from planets – again to use a helmet and switch to virtual reality.

I used to feel a little motion sickness in the SRV but not anymore. You become more and more resistant over time. YMMV.

Also, it may depend on how your PC performs. Driving on planets is actually the most demanding in terms of performance. Consider looking at graphics setting specific to SRV driving on planets.

I think the SRV sucks generally. All those rocks and bumps. Why can't we have some kind of hovercraft?

OK so can anyone tell me why I get stuttering when it drops below 80 fps. I mean we're talking 2 or 3 frame drop here, nothing more. I have ASW off and when those frames drop it stutters like crazy.
If I turn ASW on while that's happening the hud, reticule, moves a bit nothing major, a bit annoying, but it still stutters.
I have no idea why it does that or even if it's normal for that to happen.

OK so can anyone tell me why I get stuttering when it drops below 80 fps. I mean we're talking 2 or 3 frame drop here, nothing more. I have ASW off and when those frames drop it stutters like crazy.
If I turn ASW on while that's happening the hud, reticule, moves a bit nothing major, a bit annoying, but it still stutters.
I have no idea why it does that or even if it's normal for that to happen.
If you’ve got ASW off, then you will stutter if you drop below 80fps.

With ASW on, you will get graphical artefacts when it is active, but you should still get smooth motion. I’d guess that the stutters you see with ASW active is either network issues or the game loading something in. Have you tried dropping your graphic settings?

I still get the occasional hiccup in the graphics even when I’m sat at 80fps with plenty of headroom, according to the Oculus monitoring graphs.

If you’ve got ASW off, then you will stutter if you drop below 80fps.

With ASW on, you will get graphical artefacts when it is active, but you should still get smooth motion. I’d guess that the stutters you see with ASW active is either network issues or the game loading something in. Have you tried dropping your graphic settings?

I still get the occasional hiccup in the graphics even when I’m sat at 80fps with plenty of headroom, according to the Oculus monitoring graphs.

I've reached, at least I thought I did, the optimum settings for me. But I dunno, it's like ED is very finicky. Lately it seems these settings are too high.
I run an OCed RTX 2080, i7 8700k OC, 32 GB ram, ssd. SS is 1, HMD 1.25. AA is off, shadows high and the rest is like high, ultra stuff.
I guess I'll have to twick things again but I really don't want to go below hmd 1.25

I've reached, at least I thought I did, the optimum settings for me. But I dunno, it's like ED is very finicky. Lately it seems these settings are too high.
I run an OCed RTX 2080, i7 8700k OC, 32 GB ram, ssd. SS is 1, HMD 1.25. AA is off, shadows high and the rest is like high, ultra stuff.
I guess I'll have to twick things again but I really don't want to go below hmd 1.25
I think you’re correct about “finicky” :)

I’m on a lesser system than yours, i7 8700, GTX 1080, 16Gb ram, NVMe m.2, SS 1, HMD 1.25, FXAA, everything Ultra/High - ASW kicks in on planet surfaces, in Stations, busy places etc. but all I get are the wobbly HUD artefacts, motion remains smooth.

I sometimes get the occasional graphics jump, but it doesn’t seem consistent as to when it will happen. I don’t lose any head tracking when it happens, it’s just like whatever I’m flying towards has a momentary pause.

I think you’re correct about “finicky” :)

I’m on a lesser system than yours, i7 8700, GTX 1080, 16Gb ram, NVMe m.2, SS 1, HMD 1.25, FXAA, everything Ultra/High - ASW kicks in on planet surfaces, in Stations, busy places etc. but all I get are the wobbly HUD artefacts, motion remains smooth.

I sometimes get the occasional graphics jump, but it doesn’t seem consistent as to when it will happen. I don’t lose any head tracking when it happens, it’s just like whatever I’m flying towards has a momentary pause.

I only get frame drops in haz res sites or core mining, normally.
Lately it's been dropping in stations too. I'm just sat there in the hangar not doing anything. I'm monitoring my gpu and it's at a 40-50 % use. So strange. Other times it's smooth.

I only get frame drops in haz res sites or core mining, normally.
Lately it's been dropping in stations too. I'm just sat there in the hangar not doing anything. I'm monitoring my gpu and it's at a 40-50 % use. So strange. Other times it's smooth.
Yes, I’ve seen the hangar drops too - I think those might be related to NPC ships spawning in, but that’s only a guess. Again, it’s something that happens only sometimes.

I agree that I have occasional spikes and these seem to hit gpu and cpu alike, so I think they are just when the game decides to “do” something.

ASW off is a bad idea.

Bought me a Rift S on Friday. On Friday night I had a preliminary go at setup, but it wouldn't set properly...
Saturday morning I spent around an hour or so on Live Chat to try to get it sorted after I realised it was the dreaded tracking issue and "blackscreen" (actually, mine was a fuzzy picture of static instead of a full black screen!).

During Live chat we did make some small progress - setup finally allowed the floor level to be set successfully but ultimately glitched out when trying to trace the guardian area.

Because Live chat was unsuccessful - further support would be via email in 3 to 4 business days. (WHAAAAAT?)

I still have the ticket open...
… but returned to the shop on Saturday afternoon to get an exchange for the faulty one (hoping that it was a HMD issue and not my PC that was causing the glitching out...)

Saturday late I tempted fate and tried to set it up again but not before re-installing (repairing) the Oculus software and switching off my RGB LED lighting and generally making sure that the USB system on the PC was healthy, with power saving disabled, etc... all the usual tips for ensuring the install works properly - including the "make sure to plug the USB in first, wait until the light turns white, and then plugging in the Display cable.
First thing that happened was a "sensor failure", but to its credit the Oculus software automatically restarted the cycle and this time it was successful sensor test.

Setup was then smooth. Passthrough cameras worked this time, floor level was set successfully and the guardian area traced around and set in software.
Oculus then takes you though a couple of VR demos to get used to the controls. On the "Home" demo, the PC shut itself down all of a sudden!

So I waited until this morning to get back in the demos, this time without failures and the headset and controller tracking has been working fine.

I'd ordered a powered USB hub as well, and didn't want to risk loading up the USB power draw too much this morning with extra gear like a HOTAS, so I bought Beat Sabre and played two 30 minute sessions with no issues. (Beat Sabre is fantastic)

The powered hub has now arrived, so I'll test out Elite later, but so far so good with the second Rift S :)

(PC is AMD Ryzen 2600X, Vega 56 Pulse, Aorus B450 mb and 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz)

Looks like I might be getting the PC CMDR into the black later on - can't wait to see how this HMD performs

Classic windows. Especially if you have been running updates and perhaps missed a restart - windows wont wait - it just restarts all of a sudden.

Sadly, it wasn't a restart, it was a shutdown.
Just had another 30 minute session in Sabre. No further instances yet. Monitor apps suggest a maximum CPU temp of around 70°C. Might need to think about a more effective cooler than the standard AMD fitment.
Beat Sabre is mind-blowing.

Sadly, it wasn't a restart, it was a shutdown.
Just had another 30 minute session in Sabre. No further instances yet. Monitor apps suggest a maximum CPU temp of around 70°C. Might need to think about a more effective cooler than the standard AMD fitment.
Beat Sabre is mind-blowing.
I only had issues with the Rift S switching my computer back on after a graphics driver update, but I got that sorted.

BeatSaber is awesome, but these days I prefer the Light Saber Dojo in Vader Immortal. Not as musical, but proper Light Saber:)

Air Car VR is a freebie download, worth it for a glimpse of what I hope Elite’s atmospherics could be.

First impressions 2 days in to owning a Rift S.
Desktop i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, GTX 1080. 66mm IPD

I had played ED on my brothers CV1 a couple of times and when some money came in I took the plunge. As you will all know, the VR experience utterly transforms the game and it's the same for me. Have done a bit of flying around a station so far, have shipped my Viper in so I'll be trying combat next :)
I can see myself doing what some other posters have mentioned - using VR for immersion but reverting to my 4K screen for longer sessions, flipping to Inara etc. I have the Thrustmaster T16000 setup and find the joystick buttons impractical once in VR - considering Voice Attack or some obscure button mappings. Cursing the lack of a pinkie switch on the Thrustmaster.

Graphics out of the box - overall I find the S a significant upgrade - the graphical uptick makes the menus significantly clearer, the SDE is virtually gone etc. Haven't experimented much with gamma etc yet but it does look a little 'washed out' by comparison.
Inside-out tracking - no issues so far, big QOL plus
Headset comfort - significantly better I'd say particularly as I wear glasses
Audio - downgrade but better than I'd expected having read some very negative reviews
Tuning for graphics quality sweet spot - just getting going on that
Pass through - no gimmick it's really useful I find (not so much for ED where I'm seated)

Negatives so far - I have had the 'three dots' issue a couple of times and have had to unplug/re-plug the rift and/or reboot the machine. Especially if I have my HOTAS plugged in to the USB3 ports as well.

My 3-day update:

Replacement 'S appears to be working properly now.
First session in E: D it kept reverting to head-in-lap view, multiple presses of F12 were required but after 30 minutes or so, the F12 key didn't reset the view.
Next session, however, I mapped a HOTAS key to "reset HMD" and only required to press this once and it worked absolutely as intended, so all was good.
I'm using the T16000 HOTAS and mapping the key bindings is taking a long time...
This morning's session was brilliant in the 'S. It worked snaglessly and only a few key bindings now to set...

The visuals are amazing in the headset. Clarity and brightness are superb. I really don't know what other early users were talking about on the lack of black - since this is my first HMD, it all appears to be fine to me.

I haven't messed around with any graphics settings at all - just left the defaults when I installed E: D on my new PC a couple of weeks ago. However, HW monitor has logged a max CPU temperature of 82degC this morning, so I may have to drop some settings for longevity of the CPU. (Machine spec: Ryzen 2600X standard cooler; Vega 56 Pulse; 16 Gb Vengeance 3000 RAM; Gigabyte Aorus B450; WD SSD)

Audio is a "little bit" lacking, but that's not a criticism, merely an observation, because I prefer the open speaker design by far so I can also hear real life happening around me when necessary... just a touch more bass would be nice - the AspX on boost lacks the screaming effects you'd get from full size speakers, but overall I'm well, well impressed by the 'S

Playing in VR is also a compromise. Some things aren't as good or as user friendly... GalMap and Sys Maps are "nice" in VR, but lack the usability I'm used to on a screen. You obviously can't take notes like I have been doing for the past 9 months on my DW2 expedition on PS4, but I guess the better PC logs and third party tracking software might make up for most of that, if not all of it - for instance - taking notes of interesting sites and where to find VO ice rings, etc... And of course the graphical quality in a "budget" HMD can never come close to a good monitor, or even a big HD TV.

The positives outweigh the negatives - for me, so far - but not by a massive amount. It's all in the ability to look around naturally. Definitely need a good HOTAS to enjoy to the fullest with lots of keys and a usable key binding set up.

Edit: I'm also using a powered USB hub to connect the HMD (and also the T16000 stick and throttle), and set the USB to disable power saving on the Rift S hub :)

Last edited:
My 3-day update:

Replacement 'S appears to be working properly now.
First session in E: D it kept reverting to head-in-lap view, multiple presses of F12 were required but after 30 minutes or so, the F12 key didn't reset the view.
Next session, however, I mapped a HOTAS key to "reset HMD" and only required to press this once and it worked absolutely as intended, so all was good.
I'm using the T16000 HOTAS and mapping the key bindings is taking a long time...
This morning's session was brilliant in the 'S. It worked snaglessly and only a few key bindings now to set...

The visuals are amazing in the headset. Clarity and brightness are superb. I really don't know what other early users were talking about on the lack of black - since this is my first HMD, it all appears to be fine to me.

I haven't messed around with any graphics settings at all - just left the defaults when I installed E: D on my new PC a couple of weeks ago. However, HW monitor has logged a max CPU temperature of 82degC this morning, so I may have to drop some settings for longevity of the CPU. (Machine spec: Ryzen 2600X standard cooler; Vega 56 Pulse; 16 Gb Vengeance 3000 RAM; Gigabyte Aorus B450; WD SSD)

Audio is a "little bit" lacking, but that's not a criticism, merely an observation, because I prefer the open speaker design by far so I can also hear real life happening around me when necessary... just a touch more bass would be nice - the AspX on boost lacks the screaming effects you'd get from full size speakers, but overall I'm well, well impressed by the 'S

Playing in VR is also a compromise. Some things aren't as good or as user friendly... GalMap and Sys Maps are "nice" in VR, but lack the usability I'm used to on a screen. You obviously can't take notes like I have been doing for the past 9 months on my DW2 expedition on PS4, but I guess the better PC logs and third party tracking software might make up for most of that, if not all of it - for instance - taking notes of interesting sites and where to find VO ice rings, etc... And of course the graphical quality in a "budget" HMD can never come close to a good monitor, or even a big HD TV.

The positives outweigh the negatives - for me, so far - but not by a massive amount. It's all in the ability to look around naturally. Definitely need a good HOTAS to enjoy to the fullest with lots of keys and a usable key binding set up.

Edit: I'm also using a powered USB hub to connect the HMD (and also the T16000 stick and throttle), and set the USB to disable power saving on the Rift S hub :)
If your CPU isn't keeping up that will hold you back in VR way more than in flat gaming (because the draw call can't overlap with the GPU, it can never get ahead) So seriously consider upgrading it.
Before I upgraded my CPU I had tracking issues, as I think the tracking is what falls off when the CPU has to take time out to draw ASW frames.

If your CPU isn't keeping up that will hold you back in VR way more than in flat gaming (because the draw call can't overlap with the GPU, it can never get ahead) So seriously consider upgrading it.
Before I upgraded my CPU I had tracking issues, as I think the tracking is what falls off when the CPU has to take time out to draw ASW frames.

I don't think it's throttling or causing a bottleneck. It's just getting a bit hot at times. It's all smooth, graphically, with the default settings, and I'd expect the Vega 56 to be the weaker link than the 2600X in this brand new PC.
I've yet to even look at the graphics settings, so could feasibly turn some settings down. Another option would be to invest in a more efficient CPU cooler.

Top Bottom