The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Also forgot to mention that the tries for being photorealistic result in a thing called uncanny valley that also doesn't really help with immersion.
uncannyvalley.png

I guess it would also help if SC didn't have graphics that wasn't a decade out of date and doesn't even match last-gen console quality…

I didn't expect “I'm a PC game” to mean it used passé characters.

I guess it would also help if SC didn't have graphics that wasn't a decade out of date and doesn't even match last-gen console quality…

They are probably refactoring everything to run from either UE or Unity.
And then say it took two guys two days to switch everything over.

They don't all look out of date. Its just some assets were made a long time ago. ED suffers the same sometimes with newer assets looking better than older ones sometimes.

Some things get reworked, some don't, some they might still want to do, and of course Chris "Fidelity" Roberts may not be satisfied with this disparity over time.

SC remains a nice screenshot generator, but there again, many games are.

However, the length of development means this disparity is only going to get worse as time goes on.

They don't all look out of date. Its just some assets were made a long time ago. ED suffers the same sometimes with newer assets looking better than older ones sometimes.
[…]
However, the length of development means this disparity is only going to get worse as time goes on.
I was more specifically referring to the characters and all assets related to them but the page brake kind of ruined the immediacy of it in relation to previous posts. But yes, that's just the canary in the coal mine — it will happen to everything else as well, especially now that yet another console generation will come (and probably go) before SC manages to inch towards something resembling a release…

…and of course, the disparity is itself a contributing factor in making it look incohesive, garbled, and just badly designed in general.

And we're just talking about the visual part of the problem. I can imagine each and every assets will have to get (more or less) redone to fit with every logic, functionality, UI, tech, you name it, they are depending on. And this, for every time a tech is born, refactored or reach version x+1

Some things get reworked, some don't, some they might still want to do, and of course Chris "Fidelity" Roberts may not be satisfied with this disparity over time.

SC remains a nice screenshot generator, but there again, many games are.

Maybe we'll get an updated Star Citizen "Special Edition" with shiny new assets, considering Chris likes to follow in the footsteps of George Lucas.

I mean, they already had great Holiday Special a few years ago which was on par with the Star Wars one.

Maybe we'll get an updated Star Citizen "Special Edition" with shiny new assets, considering Chris likes to follow in the footsteps of George Lucas.

I mean, they already had great Holiday Special a few years ago which was on par with the Star Wars one.

That was pretty bad for Chris. I think it also ties in with him saying SC will be released in 2-3 years, no wait, it will be next year, almost there, just needs some polish.

I suspect he really can't/won't acknowledge the true state of the game, he believes its almost there, just needs a bit more work, and if he is wrong, he can just absolve himself for being an optimist. And he can keep kicking the can down the road, year after year, because he can't be wrong, he is Chris Roberts, it must be other people causing all the problems.

And that is why he went on camera live and tried to play the game. I think he truly beleived the game was in a better state than it was.

This might also be compounded by his dislike of people who say no. So he's created a culture of yes men around him. So when he asked "So guys, how about we do a livestream where i play the game" and everyone said "yes chris, great idea chris" and i would bet that many of them were internally thinking "oh dear gods, this is going to be bad" but nobody wanted to tell him how bad the engine was, how it was going to be a mess, and they were probably already lining up the excuses in their heads as to why it went wrong (and possibly thinking who to blame for it so they don't get thrown).

Maybe i'm wrong, but it seems to fit with what people who have worked with CR have said about him and CR's own words as well.

According to a few Youtubers,Citizencon is where they gather most of their revenue. If they run out of new players to scam and the community doesn’t dig deep they will be in immediate trouble.
This could mean excellent news for Elite if it coincides with the major update and if it’s space legs.

According to a few Youtubers,Citizencon is where they gather most of their revenue. If they run out of new players to scam and the community doesn’t dig deep they will be in immediate trouble.
This could mean excellent news for Elite if it coincides with the major update and if it’s space legs.

The update this year is not space legs. Its fleet carriers.

Next year might be space legs, so that will be the one to watch, assuming SC is still going by then (i think it will, i think the backers will keep the funding going for at least another year).

Double the fun! Double the funds!
It's all to coincide with the release of the Anvil Carrack...which will probably be one of the biggest sellers Ci¬G have ever churned out. That's not just me surmising...it's an insanely popular ship, always has been, even back when it was an image drawn on a post-it note stuck on a Dev's monitor...

Ci¬G have probably pre-sold many thousands of them over the years...maybe around as many again since it was put on the roadmap... and the information leaked (conveniently) that the Citcon demo would feature it. It's a given that it'll be announced for sale during the presentation.

It's almost capital ship size but for half the price... it can also land on a standard large pad unlike the cap ships and the yuppie yacht...and SC folks always like their big ships...has a rover, a snub fighter and probably in the region of Caterpillar (or more) sized cargo capacity...with lots of guns....what's not to like?

And yes...I've got one too :unsure:

Last edited:
It's all to coincide with the release of the Anvil Carrack...which will probably be one of the biggest sellers Ci¬G have ever churned out. That's not just me surmising...it's an insanely popular ship, always has been, even back when it was an image drawn on a post-it note stuck on a Dev's monitor...

Ci¬G have probably pre-sold many thousands of them over the years...maybe around as many again since it was put on the roadmap and the information leaked (conveniently) that the Citcon demo would feature it.

It's almost capital ship size but for half the price...and SC folks always like their big ships...has a rover, a snub fighter and probably in the region of Caterpillar (or more) sized cargo capacity...with lots of guns....what's not to like?

View attachment 142725

I do like that ship!!!! I’m on the hunt for a large ship, just need to decide what. It needs to be as solo player friendly as possible. As I often tool around by myself.

Isn’t there talk of them releasing a jump point and another system too?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom