PvP I've been corrupted *sigh*

Falter

Banned
@Falter thanks for the advice, that's exactly what I did, bit of fine tuning always helps.

I do quite like having the SLF - I regard it as another hardpoint that hits more frequently - but I know it can cause lag so I dropped it

I didn't look you u up as I'm based in Colonia, but if you ever come this way drop by Carcosa

Last time I tried to fly to Colonia a month or so ago I gave up after like 3500 LY.
I swore I'd never do it again and probs won't.
I stared into the black, the black stared back and told me to go back to the Bubble.
So I listened.

The fighter being wonky with laggy players in the P2P netcode is silly imo, but when that gets fixed it will be great to see things return to being normal again. It sucks it doesn't bug out all the time, and does so the most when you're already having to fight a player who is laggy themselves.
Like, the amount of lag I see when the SLF bugs out as the helmsman with those laggy class players is frankly quite astounding.
A few (that I won't call out specifically but they know who they are,) where so laggy and went on these massive campaigns to try to blame me that I found it frankly, quite sickening to see. I was like...

"So let me get this straight - this footage that shows that the lag is making it harder for me to shoot you and easier for you to basically not get shot by me with a few "jolts" to you means that 'I'm the one at fault' for you being laggy to begin with as evidenced with you lagging other players without your SLF or them having SLFs?
Wow, color my shocked, Batman!"

I've been running a 6B SCB in my SLF slot for memes recently.
Been kinda' funny watching people who couldn't break my Biweave before, have like literally no chance at breaking that tiny 320 shield now.

Last edited:

Falter

Banned
Sounds excellent! Now I'm jealous running my old laptop, oh well, I'll try to take my frustrations out on those CL76 guys while you bask in superior graphics! 😃

Thinking about it... now might be a chance to win a fight if your muscle memory from your old rig leads to a mistake or two!
Hopefully you never had to deal with the quality of laptop I used to have.
PVP'ing with 18 FPS on a 720 resolution, potato setup game was a nightmare.
Looking back on some of my old footage, I don't even know how I was able to do it that way for 2 years!

Old Laptop video 1v1'ing a member of the NMDs.

@Falter its surprising the game does run on surprisingly low end kit. I've got a Lenovo Y700 with a GTX 950M graphics chip and while I have dialed down the graphics a bit it still runs smoothly.

Watching your video the one thing I do notice is the flight model of your FGS does appear to be rather smoother, more effective and notably better at aiming than my FGS is!

I had been using my Krait or Challenger or Mamba quite a bit recently but this forum got me back into my FGS some more. Always a good thing!

Falter

Banned
@Falter its surprising the game does run on surprisingly low end kit. I've got a Lenovo Y700 with a GTX 950M graphics chip and while I have dialed down the graphics a bit it still runs smoothly.

Watching your video the one thing I do notice is the flight model of your FGS does appear to be rather smoother, more effective and notably better at aiming than my FGS is!

I had been using my Krait or Challenger or Mamba quite a bit recently but this forum got me back into my FGS some more. Always a good thing!
I've been flying my FGS for about 3 years. I started playing this game in 2015. After forcing myself to learn how to fly full FAoff in the first 3 months of the game without any outside instruction, I'd say I'm probably the most influential, knowledgeable and skilled FGS pilot to date. There have been a few to try to emulate me or use my FGS build in a more....well, similar fashion or different matter, but I've found even those players have fallen back into common mistakes made by novice FGS pilots.

I think one of the reasons my old build, (and even how my current build that I designed work, and even how I can fly to this day,) are all because I didn't know what higher than 30 FPS looked like for most of my earlier Elite career. I didn't upgrade to the sub-par tower I have today, until early 2017.
(I started playing in September of 2015, and was PVP'ing actively by February of 2016.)
So, I think conditioning played a large part. Having to make due with the old random rolls also meant that I'd often roll 2 or 3 times till I got something semi-decent and then just ... well..... made due. And, part of how I even aim to this day is because I could only watch my sensors since sometimes the 18 FPS slideshow meant aiming with my HUD or lead icon was misleading or required me to spend countless seconds predicting one salvo.

Looking back though, I know I didn't know what higher FPS or smooth'ish gameplay felt like, but do I think I could transition back into it?
eh debatable.
Sometimes even my current PC forces me to make due with 22 or 25 FPS in CZ's, Res, or PVP'ing near stations when I'm attacked near them.
But, a lot of my practice with aiming has to do with how I aim at people in general.

My aiming is done primarily through a sequence of steps:

1: Line up the player or ship in the 90 degree arc on my sensor display in front of me.
2: Check the ship's orientation and directional heading via the left ship icon and the triangles for vectoring around their ship.
3: Double check my vector is flush with my intended shot, and fire.

I actually have extensive practice firing blind, and without any form of lead indicator, (other than a check to make sure my intended shot hits.) There are often purposed missed shots I do sometimes when fighting people in 1v1s or wing fights which are designed to make people panic by seeing my large blast of plasma to move them where I want them to be. I'm pretty good at controlling where I want people to fly and don't chase my lead icon so much as constantly move my ship to always be where I want it to be.

Can I see you on my sensors?
If yes, then I can most definitely shoot you.

My two most important modules are my sensors and power distributor.
And, I often jovially joke with people who hate me sometimes about how they're like:

"You're so short you cant' see over the dashboard"
Retort with:
"I'd still be able to shoot you regardless, wearing a blindfold, and with only my keyboard's incremental keybinds at my disposal."

I'm still only moderately decent with hitscan though. But, that's because I favor my plasma weaponry as my "main battery."
To me, hitscan via railguns is nothing more than suplimental damage and an opportunity attack. Plus, on my old laptop my computer would literally tank if there was any kind of railgun fire that my ship could 'see.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear, my new rig is there. Just installing E: D. Still no VR, as I'm yet undecided if I want a Rift or Vive.
But oh boy, this will be good 🕹

Depends on the budget. Rift 2 over Vive but Vive Pro over Rift S in my opinion. The HP reverb is also worth the price if you're just using it for Elite.

Falter

Banned
@Falter hmmm, that does look quite straight forward! It's good to have something to aim for, really appreciate the advice

I'm glad I could be of some assistance then. It's so rare to meet people in this game who actually have a modicum of common sense, kindness and the like.
I think I find it's more common to meet un-sensible players from both ends of the spectrum, (for me at least.)
I think the worst people and players are those in positions of power who abuse it.

Witch Craft Works is I think one of the most popular abuses against me.
Still though, I'm glad I could provide assistance.

Feel free to ask me questions any time you need it! And, feel free to look at and check out my stuff any time!

Seems like my hiatus is over.

Fired up Elite for the first time since october and had some nice fights with mant3z and Yoshi-Ysh, forgot to record though. GF, CMDRs, thx.
Got my Arx kicked thrice, timing, reflexes, muscle memory all reset sigh

But the fun with Elite is back :cool:

Last edited:

Falter

Banned
Seems like my hiatus is over.

Fired up Elite for the first time since october and had some nice fights with mant3z and Yoshi-Ysh, forgot to record though. GF, CMDRs, thx.
Got my Arx kicked thrice, timing, reflexes, muscle memory all reset sigh

But the fun with Elite is back :cool:
The solution is to buy more ARX, commander.

I got ganked today :eek:

Ok, not really, but I asked @Cmdr ST4R F0X - who is on vacation in Colonia - to help me test my Paxaconda build against his frag iClipper, to see how long I'd survive in case of a gank.
Normally I'd run away, but my Conda has weapons so I tested if I'd be able to do some damage... Let's see:

Worked out pretty good. I survived two minutes, with a reinforced 7C bi-weave, and dished out quite a bit of damage. Pacifiers are nice.
I'd done even a bit more damage if I'd remembered that I have turrets ... and seekers ... and heat sinks 😂

Aaand another one for today... a test of my new gimballed frag Mamba against the same iClipper.
I got the bad end against the Mambas of @mant3z and @YoSHi-YSH some days ago, and wanted one myself.
Because they are awesome :LOL:

I got the bad end - again - but it was close. I need better frag timing and quicker pip management, but generally
it was ok. I'm using double shot frags in this build instead of the more common overcharged, because I had
double shot pinned and the Colonia engineer has overcharged only to g3.

Regarding the first video (Conda vs. iClipper) - it also would've helped to actually go to 4 pips anytime I am shot with frags.
Oh, and FAoff right from the start would've been nice too 😂

Man, if if wasn't for the fact that all my other buddies are new players (meaning I really need to hang around at least reasonably close to the bubble, most of my squadron are still finding their feet in the game) I'd go out and roll a few frags just to get those levels up.

Still wanna find some folks to cause trouble with back in the Inner Orion :D

Man, if if wasn't for the fact that all my other buddies are new players (meaning I really need to hang around at least reasonably close to the bubble, most of my squadron are still finding their feet in the game) I'd go out and roll a few frags just to get those levels up.

Still wanna find some folks to cause trouble with back in the Inner Orion :D
Those frag Mambas are awesome.
They can stand up against most FdLs, are faster then them and dish out maximum alpha damage.
Mine goes 599 on boost, has 3000mj shields plus chaff and a 4A fuel scoop to reach every target.
If needed, I can switch that scoop out for a HRP, too.

LRV The Hound

A nice ride to cause trouble :sneaky:

Aaand another one for today... a test of my new gimballed frag Mamba against the same iClipper.
I got the bad end against the Mambas of @mant3z and @YoSHi-YSH some days ago, and wanted one myself.
Because they are awesome :LOL:
Thanks m8, we had great fun in Colonia with you guys. Best regards to your team and also to cmdr OneFootIn.
To clarify I was in legendary Chally :p
CU in the bubble :)

Thanks m8, we had great fun in Colonia with you guys. Best regards to your team and also to cmdr OneFootIn.
To clarify I was in legendary Chally :p
CU in the bubble :)
Right, your two mates had the Mambas, yours was the Chally. My mistake (y)

Oh and onefootin is back on my list too, although he got ganked by the next batch of bubble tourists some days later in his Asp 😂

Didnt realise this thread was still going lol, always good to catch up with the Carcosa chaps when i'm in the area. As for those frags only being g3 modded, thats a bit scary lol :D

Didnt realise this thread was still going lol, always good to catch up with the Carcosa chaps when i'm in the area. As for those frags only being g3 modded, thats a bit scary lol :D
Nah, they are double shot G5'd ^^
The Colonia engineers only had G3 overcharged for me, so I had to use what's pinned.

Top Bottom