The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Not what it's about at all...but you go on believing that if you like ;)
I am partially talking from my own experience - I tried out a free fly event to not "only talk" - after all I might be mistaken in some aspects, better try it out, right?

It was exactly as boring as I thought it'd be, I didn't even get to any mission, just shot some ships, got annoyed by me spending 45 minutes on getting it running and flight model, turned it off. And I am a person who's okay with Elite flight times (and WoT wait times and so on), but SC was too much even for me.

I am partially talking from my own experience - I tried out a free fly event to not "only talk" - after all I might be mistaken in some aspects, better try it out, right?

It was exactly as boring as I thought it'd be, I didn't even get to any mission, just shot some ships, got annoyed by me spending 45 minutes on getting it running and flight model, turned it off. And I am a person who's okay with Elite flight times (and WoT wait times and so on), but SC was too much even for me.
That's not very fair is it? If you played other space games for 45 minutes and gave a review it would probably be just as scathing. (Says the guy who game up on one of the free events having only just made it out of bed and into the corridor :) )

The last free fly was terrible, and not having space on my SSD for the game just made everything worse.

I might try out the next free fly, but without the SSD space i can't imagine it being any better performance and the gameplay... well, the experience last time was already a major turn off. I didn't get to do anything except eventually get to my ship, take off, fail to get to the target (after 10 minutes of QT) because i couldn't make planetfall (despite having read multiple instructions on how to do it, the damn drive just wouldn't engage), then commiting suicide, trying to spawn the ship again, only to have to wait for the immersion timer, and being a peasant on a free fly meant i only had access to the one ship.

I mean, if you are going to have a free fly, don't make the game a worse expereince for those who are looking to check it out than for those who have spent hundreds or thousands.

I'm truly loving my Avenger Titan! Its a phenomenal little ship, with the agility to do every mission.
Here is a dead NPC that I got doing bounty hunting missions. I collected his corpse to ensure I got the bounty!

Took some serious damage getting him and his friends.

Is it just me or does your Avenger look like it's wrapped in warped tin foil when it is damaged? o_O

That's not very fair is it? If you played other space games for 45 minutes and gave a review it would probably be just as scathing. (Says the guy who game up on one of the free events having only just made it out of bed and into the corridor :) )

But the problem was that the game didn't make me want to play more. It was clunky, the flight model was a mess, the combat was not interesting, the UI was horrible.

I am not a perfect player, I'll admit to that. Even in Elite, some of my first experiences were botched landings, trying to land in wrong direction and also getting stuck in station's superstructure and exploding. But the flight felt nice, the ships had behaviour I expected from them and getting from a station to station was a question of few minutes tops (even with my - back then - horrible flying) and I felt that if I improved, the game would become remarkably more interesting - and in the end it did and landing a Type-10 after scraping the slot is still satisfying (not even mentioning boosting in/out of the slot, never fly safe! ww)

I don't have that feeling with SC. I feel that I could improve in flying the ships to some degree, but I don't feel like it would make it more fun to play the game, and that's a problem.

I second that. Sure there may be some fun to have somewhere, but it's buried deep under a thick pile of boredom and chore.

Sure in Elite you eventually crash ridiculously and get pwned by a blind NPC with a popgun, but even with a gamepad you feel the ship, the UI is effective, the procedures are logical and you basically never screw up the physics or the collisions.

In SC, every from little to important action is prone to mess everything, ships seem weightless, UI, inputs layout is totally cluttered, counterintuitive and unreliable, and of course bugs on every department.

And even the First Person gameplay doesn't feel right to me (what with the mousewheel for character speed?). Given CryEngine's legacy of excellent FPS feeling and body-awareness, CIG's result is a performance on its own.

The last free fly was terrible, and not having space on my SSD for the game just made everything worse.

I might try out the next free fly, but without the SSD space i can't imagine it being any better performance and the gameplay... well, the experience last time was already a major turn off. I didn't get to do anything except eventually get to my ship, take off, fail to get to the target (after 10 minutes of QT) because i couldn't make planetfall (despite having read multiple instructions on how to do it, the damn drive just wouldn't engage), then commiting suicide, trying to spawn the ship again, only to have to wait for the immersion timer, and being a peasant on a free fly meant i only had access to the one ship.

I mean, if you are going to have a free fly, don't make the game a worse expereince for those who are looking to check it out than for those who have spent hundreds or thousands.
The last free fly was a complete farce with possibly the worst patch Ci¬G had released in 3 years up to that point...it was rushed out of the door to maintain a fixed release schedule, even when evocati and PTU testers said during testing it was nowhere near release state...especially for a free fly event where the focus was firmly on attracting new backers rather than to add QOL improvements for us current mugs.

As for helping new players..I don't do it because I'm showing off or org spamming...which does go on more than I'd like in the chat... I'm not and never will be part of an org and I help newer folks out because it's what I do...I did exactly the same thing in ED (minus the ability to help financially with in game credits). I look for the more mature gamers in the chat who like what's on offer but get confounded by bugs or SC's obtuse design way too often.

It's not all about shoving a few credits at them either, the help is in the main, a few tips and tricks on how to get anything out of the mess of Star Citizen at all....and wising up the new guys being overawed by some shill's YouTube offerings, imagining it really is the BDSSE and throwing silly money on it without any inkling of the total clusterfarce they're potentially buying in to. If folks are still convinced they want to hang around after sampling the SC dumpster fire and have a ship in mind they'd like to upgrade to, I can offer a loaner for them to see if they like it.. or offer advice against spending unnecessary cash..

A simple but immediate tip for those who find the initial interminably long load up into the game followed by unplayable jerkovision...simply log out and back in again and it smoothes everything out...

SC is a mess...but a mess that with a bit of help in the chat on bug workarounds and what not to do's can be at least enjoyable.

Last edited:
People keep asking for caves in ED, which also puzzles me - I can count the number of spelunking games I own on the fingers of ... zero hands. I mean sure, if you have every other thing modelled in your galaxy then why not, but when you can't even use a door without dying...
That's the point of caves! They have no doors!

it was rushed out of the door to maintain a fixed release schedule

So, basically like every patch since they changed to fixed release schedule? :D

But seriously, i think they could do a few simple tweaks for the free fly to make it more welcomming to those who haven't paid. Give every a range of ships to summon and fly for a start, and perhaps allow them to choose their starting point so even if you bug out during QT or whatever, you can load back in at a different location.

I mean, they want people to see their awesome planets, but its no good if i can't get to those awesome planets.

The thing I remember most clearly about SC as the excitement, how ambitious it sounded. It looked good, sounded good.

But then I took the biggest turn on my heel I can remember on a game before even playing it. When I found out that you could just buy ships with real money I essentially decided I wanted nothing to do with it. Closed the tabs I was looking info on and just washed my hands of the whole thing.

I had a friend who was super into it, and now I don't even think he remembers caring. It's been so long with no result, how could you keep enthusiasm when all you get are new ships to buy and someday fly?

But the problem was that the game didn't make me want to play more. It was clunky, the flight model was a mess, the combat was not interesting, the UI was horrible.
  • Yeah it's quite clunky due to a lot of micromanagement on different aspects of the UI, without any global vision to get a proper user experience. Anything related to physics, doors or ladders is hilariously broken. Good luck in those elevators too.
  • Flight model was terrible (and frankly non existent), it's a bit better now and can be revisited, honestly
  • Combat is still quite weak, they seemed to have fixed the missiles though, it's still very laggy and everything warps and jumps around as the lag prediction is also non existent
  • UI is indeed horrible and non responsive
I don't have that feeling with SC. I feel that I could improve in flying the ships to some degree, but I don't feel like it would make it more fun to play the game, and that's a problem.
The new flight model now allows for a bit more ramp up in skill. Lets give it that. Flying over planet surfaces has become almost properly enjoyable. Although there's still nothing much to do, due to missions being buggered beyond salvation. You can try a space trucking loop, if you are lucky and dont lose everything (ship and cargo) to a server crash, it's almost like a minigame trying to park your ship in a hangar without it becoming a crazy pinball because of the wonky physics (seems like any collision in that engine = creation of huge amounts of energy..). Reminds me of those old Lunar Lander games back then.

Last edited:
😂😂😂OMG I can't breath...
3mn2y2jpjxm31.png

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom