Alien archaeology and other mysteries: Breaking News, Theories and Tinfoil Hattery

Nothing that's represented or observable in-game. The only things connected to Col 70 are:

Not sure if this counts or not, but there's also the mega-expansion into the witch head nebula, which just borders COL 70. A possible hint of things to come, perhaps?

Not sure if this counts or not, but there's also the mega-expansion into the witch head nebula, which just borders COL 70. A possible hint of things to come, perhaps?
Whatever FD is doing with the Enclave, whether it's set up for future narrative or not, I have no idea... though strictly speaking nothing about the expansion is related to Col 70.

Personally, I enjoyed the II, though why on earth they're thrusting a significant amount of player activity right in the midst of permit-locked regions which, as we know, are regions "... earmarked for future content" without actually unlocking them, I have no idea. It's as if FD are painting themselves into a corner... we knew Barnies had been in Witch Head (and California) for years now... their "discovery" there as part of the II was nothing new.

The whole process where Col 70, witch head, cone sector and greater barnards loop were previously unlocked, and suddenly became locked after an update felt wholly kludgy to me.

Last edited:
Personally I think I they've allowed us to set up the Enclave (with an engineer & material trader & tech(?) trader etc) as a staging post to launch attacks on the Col 70 region when it's unlocked. And my guess is that will be September 23rd ;).

Well, wikipedia says this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metagaming_(role-playing_games)

It fits aptly for the discovery of the first Guardian ruin... there was no use of any mechnaism in-game to find it... just a trailer.

Generally, I read it as making game decisions because of things you know exclusively outside the game, or conditions the game experiences because it's just a piece of software.

Yes in this case I was meaning using the trailer to find the first Guardian site, rather than Halsey's visions which is what the Codex states happened

Personally I think I they've allowed us to set up the Enclave (with an engineer & material trader & tech(?) trader etc) as a staging post to launch attacks on the Col 70 region when it's unlocked. And my guess is that will be September 23rd ;).
That's a funny way to spell "December 2020"

I take it you haven't heard about the minor updates that have & are coming out this year then? September update. 2019 updates
No, I've just come to not expect much in the way of actual new content in the game's updates. Adding stuff like opening up systems right on the Thargoids' doorstep means stuff like new assets, new mechanics, and a whole bunch more developer time. The sort of scale of additional work I'd expect from a major expansion, but not from a small series of updates designed to drip-feed stuff over the course of a year to keep people playing while one is worked on.

Hmm, I was thinking that unlocking systems wouldn't be that much work, but yea it depends what they have planned in the Col 70 area, & whether they already have the assets in place there or not. It would be pretty pointless to open up Col 70 for just more NHSSs ;).

No, I've just come to not expect much in the way of actual new content in the game's updates. Adding stuff like opening up systems right on the Thargoids' doorstep means stuff like new assets, new mechanics, and a whole bunch more developer time. The sort of scale of additional work I'd expect from a major expansion, but not from a small series of updates designed to drip-feed stuff over the course of a year to keep people playing while one is worked on.
I'm siding with this one, unfortunately. With the game running for what, 5 years now, and never has an unobtainable permit-locked system become unlocked.... instead, more systems have become permit locked in that time (both regions, such as Col 70, and individual systems such as HIP 22460), and no clear mechanics to unlock them (if any), I don't expect systems to become unlocked anytime soon, and if they are, they'll almost certainly be underwhelming experiences at this stage.

Regions were locked for "future content" at the start of the game... there was never any sane reason to lock more regions when Wings dropped, considering it's been 3-4 years since that, and still nothing is unlocked.

Last edited:
Well, being optimistic they decided to put more story content into the game
Being pessimistic they decided to just put more thargoids into more areas in the game.
Or the thargoid menace moved from Bovomit to Col70 due to the FRift storyline and they forgot to open up the areas...

Part of me does wonder if when they do add Thargoid-controlled space, hyperdictions will be an omnipresent threat travelling in them unless you're using a new FSD from Tech Brokers, using The Club's undetectable-wake technology.

Mighty Zorg
The human Rockforth Corporation has started to distribute the genetically engineered material we passed on to them as expected, in response to low crop yields due to our genetically engineered plant virus attack.
Soon humanity will start to produce roots and morph into our barnacle pupae incubators to increase our population.
All Hail Queen Zorgoid! 👽👽👽
😁
Rockforth has no limits to what they will do for profit. They were involved in a lot of controversy in FFE and are particularly known for manipulating local laws, to suit their needs.
Luckily their legal academy was nuked in the 3250s, almost wiping out their legal team. :D

I don't know on that, but I did see this in the patch notes.
Increased the spawn rate for Non-Human Signal Sources - in some places that could mean they'll be swarming with NHSSs!

Top Bottom