Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Clearly not the game for you then. I'm having an absolute blast.

I have no recollection of reading/hearing anything about things getting "harsher/challenging/weirder".
Yeah, having a blast here too. On Permadeath no less.

Lucked out and found an S class rifle with full slots at a planetary base right near my home. Saved up and got that ASAP. Now I just need to get an S class ship in a wealthy system. Not sure what kind to go for, though... fighter, hauler, explorer or exotic...

Clearly not the game for you then. I'm having an absolute blast.

I have no recollection of reading/hearing anything about things getting "harsher/challenging/weirder".
That’s fine if you weren’t paying attention. It’s part of the talking points Sean Murray was making in the run up to the game’s launch. Would be easy to miss since it was only covered in Wired, The New Yorker, Stephen Colbert, and every gaming website ever. All that aside, it’s a really good idea which would make the game way better if they added it, which is the main reason I hope they add it someday.

The more they patch the game to emphasize base building and multiplayer, the less enjoyable it has become for me. The idea of coop multiplayer is so compelling that I can’t help but want to give it a try every time I play, but it’s not integrated into the main game AT ALL, and what exists right now is just so pathetic and broken. I think the success rate for our group completing missions without some kind of desync error or uncompleteable state is like 1 in 3. At the same time, it’s hard to enjoy even playing in solo anymore, because anytime a friend signs on I start FOMOing about trying to meet up in-game and “do something”, but there isn’t anything to do with other players other than break each other’s mission and quest progression so it brings everything to a grinding halt.

Anyway. It WAS “The Game For Me” before this patch, now not so much. I think NMS has stepped too far into the MMO waters and the devs are in over their heads. I wish they’d left well enough alone after NEXT and continued to focus on world building and exploration instead of whatever this is supposed to be.

Yeah, having a blast here too. On Permadeath no less.

Lucked out and found an S class rifle with full slots at a planetary base right near my home. Saved up and got that ASAP. Now I just need to get an S class ship in a wealthy system. Not sure what kind to go for, though... fighter, hauler, explorer or exotic...
Exotic is my favorite. They're better fighters and have great jump range as well. It's just the storage space that's limited, so I don't use my ship for storing anything. It's only for receiving the materials when you kill the pirates. And I prefer to just get the positron ejector and upgrade it to max, and the shield, then I basically can take on any pirate come my way.

Yeah, having a blast here too....

Same here three. I've already sunk 50+ hours into the game - more than any try before - and am loving it.

This is the first time (so please no spoilers!) that I've been playing the narrative story, and I'm hooked - and it just goes to show how a compelling narrative can be told in a sandbox game. It's such a shame that FDev haven't learned this from HG, and I really wish the reverse was true for the galaxy map.

I can't quite put my finger on what's changed but I'm enjoying the game in a way I never did before, and I'm even (shock horror) coming to terms with the flight model, such that I now quite like it for atmospheric flying - there's certainly quite a bit of slip and slide. They just need vertical and horizontal thrusters implemented and I'll be satisfied.

Overall I'm lost for words in admiration for HG, and am excited for what they'll add next to NMS. I'd really like a huge QoL pass, and for right-mouse click to be a consistent and safe 'exit' from every menu/conversation, and fix the base building p-l-e-a-s-e!.

Same here three. I've already sunk 50+ hours into the game - more than any try before - and am loving it.

This is the first time (so please no spoilers!) that I've been playing the narrative story, and I'm hooked - and it just goes to show how a compelling narrative can be told in a sandbox game. It's such a shame that FDev haven't learned this from HG, and I really wish the reverse was true for the galaxy map.
Right now, I wish FDev could learn the quick turnaround time for bug fixes and patches... HG even published 2-3 patches a day a couple of times. I think it's not so much the bugs after an update (I kind'a expect that now from either game), but the speed of fixes.

That’s fine if you weren’t paying attention. It’s part of the talking points Sean Murray was making in the run up to the game’s launch. Would be easy to miss since it was only covered in Wired, The New Yorker, Stephen Colbert, and every gaming website ever. All that aside, it’s a really good idea which would make the game way better if they added it, which is the main reason I hope they add it someday.

The more they patch the game to emphasize base building and multiplayer, the less enjoyable it has become for me. The idea of coop multiplayer is so compelling that I can’t help but want to give it a try every time I play, but it’s not integrated into the main game AT ALL, and what exists right now is just so pathetic and broken. I think the success rate for our group completing missions without some kind of desync error or uncompleteable state is like 1 in 3. At the same time, it’s hard to enjoy even playing in solo anymore, because anytime a friend signs on I start FOMOing about trying to meet up in-game and “do something”, but there isn’t anything to do with other players other than break each other’s mission and quest progression so it brings everything to a grinding halt.

Anyway. It WAS “The Game For Me” before this patch, now not so much. I think NMS has stepped too far into the MMO waters and the devs are in over their heads. I wish they’d left well enough alone after NEXT and continued to focus on world building and exploration instead of whatever this is supposed to be.

I'm surprised I missed that, I was only reading stuff for the last 3 weeks before launch (prolly why I was less upset than those who followed things earlier), I agree it would be good if they added that in, I know "random" is a large part of PG, but sometimes NMS feels too random.

ah apolgies for misunderstanding, I thought it was the usual "I hate NMS rant" that crops up from time to time!!! One thing is though, HG are a talented bunch and the game has improved a lot from release, hopefully they'll improve co-op mp for you. Agree about a focus on world building and exploration, I hope they can get different bimoes per planet, be nice to have a desert around the equator then more lush biomes etc finally ending with frozen biomes on the poles. That way each planet could have a larger variety of fauna and flora too.

I can't quite put my finger on what's changed but I'm enjoying the game in a way I never did before, and I'm even (shock horror) coming to terms with the flight model, such that I now quite like it for atmospheric flying - there's certainly quite a bit of slip and slide. They just need vertical and horizontal thrusters implemented and I'll be satisfied.

Overall I'm lost for words in admiration for HG, and am excited for what they'll add next to NMS. I'd really like a huge QoL pass, and for right-mouse click to be a consistent and safe 'exit' from every menu/conversation, and fix the base building p-l-e-a-s-e!.

do you mean the Artemis storyline? If so I think I'm near then end of it and thoroughly enjoyed the experience so I agree with you on that. heh AND agree about the galaxy map.

I'd like to have instant activation of things and not that stupid thing of holding a button down while what seems to be a polo mint fills in....Oh and better controller support/key mapping. I've started to have the problem of my xbox pad overiding Kb/M in the menus and inventory.....a quick hop in/out of my ship seems to solve it everytime so far (fingers crossed).

Unfortunately no even basic HOTAS support yet, as for the flight model they did improve it a lot since the release but its not even close to what we could call a Flightmodel ;)

Can I set my own control scheme so the HOTAS works anyway ?, I'm a stickler for only flying things with a joystick.

I've been meaning to get this game simply due to SPACE !. I'm just waiting for a sale.

do you mean the Artemis storyline? If so I think I'm near then end of it and thoroughly enjoyed the experience so I agree with you on that. heh AND agree about the galaxy map.

I'd like to have instant activation of things and not that stupid thing of holding a button down while what seems to be a polo mint fills in....

This is the first time I've properly played any of the story lines and I'm having a hoot.

The polo mint thing is crazy, frankly the whole interface for PC could do with much tlc. I've named way too many planets 'Original-namexxxxxxx'. That you can't re-edit a name is hugely frustrating.

....All I've been waiting for is the original promise of a galaxy which gets harsher, more challenging, and weirder as you approach the center. And maybe some better spaceship combat controls. Still kinda hoping they do that eventually.

Yeah, this would be an excellent thing to do. The planets do get a little samey after a while. I found a metallic looking hex planet a day back, marvelled at it, and almost immediately found an identical clone in another system. This doesn't bode well.

As for the UI, it is a bit 'pants', and in places way too much like hard work.

First mod I installed was the instant actions mod, followed by the 1% fuel mod. These reduced two time-sinks / annoyances.

Forgot about that mod, I used it early doors, but an update broke it ....been playing vanilla since, I must remember to get that mod again!! Fuel doesn't effect me so much though....I spend most of my time faffing on a planet mining as much as I can!!

Forgot about that mod, I used it early doors, but an update broke it ....been playing vanilla since, I must remember to get that mod again!! Fuel doesn't effect me so much though....I spend most of my time faffing on a planet mining as much as I can!!

The fuel mod has been updated and is working again, thank heavens!

Anyone else here playing Permadeath? Just curious ;) I've tried joining people at Nexus missions but the mission always ends up getting "corrupted" and aborted (guess they just don't want me ;) ).

Anyone else here playing Permadeath? Just curious ;) I've tried joining people at Nexus missions but the mission always ends up getting "corrupted" and aborted (guess they just don't want me ;) ).

I've got a permadeath, but only abut 4 mins in...I hope (some distant day) to get the two steam acheivements of getting to the centre in Survival and Permadeath mode. I'm 500kly from the centre in my Survival game. But I have 3 Normals, my original save with 250+ hours (bit scared to go back to that one), one that I started around the Atlas update (I think) and one I started after the recent update.

I've got a permadeath, but only abut 4 mins in...I hope (some distant day) to get the two steam acheivements of getting to the centre in Survival and Permadeath mode. I'm 500kly from the centre in my Survival game. But I have 3 Normals, my original save with 250+ hours (bit scared to go back to that one), one that I started around the Atlas update (I think) and one I started after the recent update.

I've barely left my starting area in 20 hours ;)

Managed to get an S class rifle early on, and have finished the Artemis path to the point where all I have left is to head to the centre of the Galaxy. So now I'm trying to find a better ship (still in my bonus starter ship, believe it or not!)

Top Bottom