"Ask the Gankers"

Or 'Pirates'....

For combat evasion, in an ill equipt ship' the advice I have seen is when droping from SC after the indirection to "do a 180 and boost past the attacker........"
Isnt that like "If someone throws a left hook at you, you lean into it"???
{Bill Cosby said this in one of his comedy bits "75 dollar car" about if you go into a skid "Turn into the direction of the skid"}

To me it seems better to exit, Boost, boost, boost while the attacker is still dropping using the time to gain distance.

Please explain to me why it is better to turn and boost past them

Isnt their ship going to be more maneuverable? Faster?

Because
  • usually the attacker is in the faster and well armed ship
  • the attacked is in a slow and badly protected ship

those 2 above will result in the attacked being blown to bits if he's not being evasive and tries to boost away in a straight line.

if you are in a strong ship that can survive 20 seconds of heavy pounding, then yes - boost, wake away.

Like Northpin said you've got to plan for taking hits. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

A terribly built ship trying to flip a 180 and boost past my plasma FDL is just helping my range control.

So Boost away, but not in a straight line....
My thought is to use the limited time to gain distance which I see as my only advantage/hope until I can jump out

So Boost away, but not in a straight line....
My thought is to use the limited time to gain distance which I see as my only advantage/hope until I can jump out

What are you flying? Can you post the build from Coriolis or EDShipyard? That would help us give you some more concrete advice.

Regardless of what you're flying though, situational awareness while in super cruise and making sure you never get pulled in the first place helps no matter what you fly.

Powderpanic

Banned
Op short answer, If you are in a well-built ship. You can virtually sit motionless, charge your FSD, orientate and then slowerly accelerate to freedom.

The only people who get ganked, are the ones in terrible builds with zero idea of game mechanics.

To answer your question directly. Boost, boost or 180 boost, boost past your attacker, makes really no difference.
They will have to be in a vastly better stronger ship for my first answer to not apply.

Even with FSD Reset missiles, you can easily tank a ganker and wake out.

Powderpanic
The Voice of Griefing

To me it seems better to exit, Boost, boost, boost while the attacker is still dropping using the time to gain distance.

Still dropping? There is zero guarantee they won't load the instance first.

You aren't going to open up distance against a faster ship and fleeing in a straight line to maintain distance as long as possible makes one an easy target to hit.

Please explain to me why it is better to turn and boost past them

It's often better to face your opponent so you can see what they are doing (and hopefully evade some hits that otherwise would have landed), as well as so they they have to turn around and (usually) reverse their direction of motion as you pass them, which is one of the few ways a slower ship can open up a gap.

Additionally, almost always safer to be shot in the face than in the tail, because most ship's FSDs are easier to hit from behind and essentially every ship's thrusters are.[/QUOTE]

My 'build' varies depending on what Im doing. I understand that unless its a combat build the only options are run or submit.
When I 'build' a ship I seek to fill the needs of what Im planning, extra slots are used for survive-ability in the event of CMDR contact.
I am not one of those foolish enough to think that putting 2 guns on a mining ship is going to help if trouble comes a knocking

I dont get what these guys are talking about. ALWAYS 180 turn to face the attacker.
Why?

1. Look death in the face.
  2. See point 1.
But in seriousness I would always turn 180 and boost past them. This way you make more work for the attack to stay on target. You also reduce the risk of having your thrusters blown out before you can jump. If they take the shields down that quick, your drives wont last long at all. No drive, no throttle, no jump.

But if you look at the guides on the subject of surviving ganks, the 180 flip is only part of the equation. You're supposed to outfit yourself for open, and that applies to all ship loadouts. Whether its mining, trading, exploration, you need to be sensible about your defences.

If its a type 9 or type 10, by the time you've flipped you could have been killed 10x over.

I disagree, I know the type 9 is slow, but not so slow that FA off boosting won't flip you around quick enough. I'd rather take a volley to the top, side, or bottom than behind.

Last edited:
But in seriousness I would always turn 180 and boost past them. This way you make more work for the attack to stay on target. You also reduce the risk of having your thrusters blown out before you can jump. If they take the shields down that quick, your drives wont last long at all. No drive, no throttle, no jump.

I'll gently disagree with "always." For example, my Krait Phantom boosts 580+ and has excellent bi-weave shields. I'm hitting the gas in a straight line (with some shimmy side to side and up and down plus heat sinks) against anything not faster than me because 4-2-0 permaboost. Remember the Phantom has a relatively weak boost (compared to say a FDL or Mamba) and needs a couple to get going. If I'm flipping around, I'm working against the ship which is no good.

Im not saying thats wrong Phisto, just in the context of the OPs opening comment he refers to "ill equipt ship" strats. Your phantom, I would guess, is pretty equipt with a 580 boost lol. In situation where you can't outrun your opponent, showing your back is a very bad move. You need that extra slither of time that boosting towards the opponent gets you.

Besides, I mentioned that 180 flipping is only part of the equation. You also need to be open play mindful about your builds.

Im not saying thats wrong Phisto, just in the context of the OPs opening comment he refers to "ill equipt ship" strats. Your phantom, I would guess, is pretty equipt with a 580 boost lol. In situation where you can't outrun your opponent, showing your back is a very bad move. You need that extra slither of time that boosting towards the opponent gets you.

Besides, I mentioned that 180 flipping is only part of the equation. You also need to be open play mindful about your builds.

Yeah, if they're faster than me I've hopefully checked their load out and can react accordingly! Kraits gotta be careful. They are a huge target from top or bottom. These days if I'm pulling an enemy I'll throw my ship in reverse the moment we drop in anticipation of them pulling up to flip over.

Easy peasy shots. Mix it up, folks!

Regardless of what you're flying though, situational awareness while in super cruise and making sure you never get pulled in the first place helps no matter what you fly.

Situational awareness in SC, I get. But how do you avoid getting pulled in the first place? I realise that the attacker has to get behind you but, ultimately, you're in SC because you've got a destination to get to. Even if you take a circuitous route to that destination, at some point you're gonna have your arx pointed at a potential attacker.

If you see someone you don't like the look of, you could high wake out of the system and avoid being pulled that way. But that's not gonna get you to your destination unless you reload in solo and jump back to the destination system which is a cop out.

Trying to avoid the interdiction once its started is easy against NPCs but not against another player.

Situational awareness in SC, I get. But how do you avoid getting pulled in the first place? I realise that the attacker has to get behind you but, ultimately, you're in SC because you've got a destination to get to. Even if you take a circuitous route to that destination, at some point you're gonna have your arx pointed at a potential attacker.

It's keeping that time to an absolute minimum. Most attackers are going to sit either at the star or inbetween the star and the usual destination.

Once you jump in, if you head into open space in any direction you can't be caught in supercruise unless something slows you down (like a planet etc)

If you expect hostiles:-

1. Jump in and either head into open space (e.g. not towards any planets) whilst you assess the situation OR stop and face you rear towards the star (meaniung you usually can't be interdicted)
2. Use the ping rate to determine if there are any other CMDRs in the system and also check the scanner.
3. Choose a big parabolic route to the destination - but keep your eye on people pursuing. Most CMDRs looking to interdict aren't interested in chasing you down unless you have relentlessly mocked and belittled them, so you should shake them on the first leg.
4. The slowdown to the station is the other crunch point - it's usually better to overshoot at high speed and then loop around as it will give even less time for interdiction.
5. Practice. It won't always work, but once you have it down the advantage is very much with the defender.

Force the attacker into an exclusion zone, they will be stuck in normal space waiting for the FSD cooldown while you get to your destination.

Alternatively, you can fly near a moon and you will be immune to interdictions while inside the gravity well. Good place to get funny screenshots of rage messages :D

Master transitional thrust control.

Lats and verts do more or your evasive capability than pitch and boost, but using all your potential vectors will keep you alive much longer than just trying to 180 and boost past.

1. Jump in and either head into open space (e.g. not towards any planets) whilst you assess the situation OR stop and face you rear towards the star (meaniung you usually can't be interdicted)
Just have to chime in here, pointing your ARX to the star is a risk because with engineering (especially legacy modules I heard) you can interdict from wide angles.
Supercruising away into the black is usually less risky, except you have someone sitting in supercruise directly behind you exiting the jump (bad luck).
But you should have a survivable build anyways... ;)

It's keeping that time to an absolute minimum. Most attackers are going to sit either at the star or inbetween the star and the usual destination.

Once you jump in, if you head into open space in any direction you can't be caught in supercruise unless something slows you down (like a planet etc)

If you expect hostiles:-

2. Use the ping rate to determine if there are any other CMDRs in the system and also check the scanner.
3. Choose a big parabolic route to the destination - but keep your eye on people pursuing. Most CMDRs looking to interdict aren't interested in chasing you down unless you have relentlessly mocked and belittled them, so you should shake them on the first leg.
4. The slowdown to the station is the other crunch point - it's usually better to overshoot at high speed and then loop around as it will give even less time for interdiction.
5. Practice. It won't always work, but once you have it down the advantage is very much with the defender.

Listen to ethelred!

Beyond that, get some friends. Have them roll in first with some fast, cheap ships and interdict the sucker trying to get at you. If they got the chops and guns, have a go at the guy.

In the end patient, clever thinking will serve you best. And hey, if worse comes to worse remember the axiom of the top scoring pilot of WWII: "If the other guy is better, come back tomorrow."

Deleted member 182079

D
4 pips to shields, 2 to engines saved my behind countless times (and making sure your shields are beefy enough).

I don't bother in such case to turn unless I have a very fast small ship that's hard to hit - in that case you want to get beyond 6km as fast as possible for fear of long range rails and the like, and going into the opposite direction of your foe can help (but it depends on their piloting skills and doesn't always work).

In SC, what I tend to do quite often apart from taking detours is dropping randomly into normal space before they get behind me, the trick is to do this without performing an emergency stop (although I sometimes had to resort to that) as the FSD will take much longer to spool up. Most players don't follow you, but some do, but by that time you should be able to low wake out. Repeat this as many times as you want as long as your shields last or the player gives up.

Top Bottom