Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Anyone else here playing Permadeath? Just curious ;) I've tried joining people at Nexus missions but the mission always ends up getting "corrupted" and aborted (guess they just don't want me ;) ).
That's the mode Ive always played. Same with the members of my group. Maybe permadeath is uniquely buggy compared to other modes? Nexus missions got corrupted more often than not and that's partially why we quit playing.

Just a small 'FYI' update - I've had two missions so far that appeared 'bugged'. Returning the Soul-Arc, and picking up my first (free) Freighter. In both instances the game didn't recognise my completion of the associated/requisite activity, and both 'missions' seemed lost.

I solved both by just going away and doing other stuff for a while, across a few play-sessions, and paid neither activity any attention. I don't recall doing anything 'special'. In time both were reset and I could complete them.

Can't say I had that problem, though I did have to restart one mission in the log section because I was too far away from it.

Doing the underwater mission chain, and I've got to say the Nautilan is a real treat to drive around. Really take in the scenery!

Looks like I am not the only one to bail on Elite for NMS while the troubles persist. :)

I have to say that this "Beyond" update is really impressing me. Prior to "Beyond," I would only play for an hour or two just to check out the new stuff. It never held my attention. But now...wow! It finally feels like the game we all wanted NMS to be. Well done, Hello Games! This was a massive update that was pulled off fantastically well, with only a few serious bugs, and those were handled speedily with multiple patches. (Ahem. There might be a pertinent lesson here about what is possible for certain other developers.) There are still some things I would like to see added, of course. In the wake of the great content added to planets, the game's space portion desperately needs some love. Right now, outer space seems to me to be little more than a rainbow-colored intermission between our planetary adventures. NMS needs to make space as interesting as what we have in ED. It would help if solar systems were actual systems rather than what appear to be mere clumps of planets. If Hello Games could fulfill one of their original design goals of having an ED-like system of real orbital mechanics, etc., that would go a long way in making space much more interesting than what we have now. Heck, if NMS had that, I dare say that it might become a serious contender to what ED currently offers - and in the three years of owning NMS, I've never said that before.

Last night I came across a wonderfully stormy planet where rainstorms would blow in, raising the ambient temp from 64 F to around 240 F! These frequent boiling storms were a pain because they limited my outdoor activities, but I do love a good rainstorm (maybe because in RL my neck of the woods has been going through a dry spell). If it wasn't for the fact that I am working on the main campaign, I probably would have built a base on this world to make it a vacation spot for me. :D Screenshot (modified) of my guy standing out in the storm outside of an alien observatory:

I wish thunderstorms get implemented one day, too! This storm needed some thunder and lightning!

Last edited:
Hey, how do I transfer my base from one planet to another? Is it possible? I recall some kind of base storage device but am not sure how that works.

Hey, how do I transfer my base from one planet to another? Is it possible? I recall some kind of base storage device but am not sure how that works.
Not sure if it works.Some of t he older mechanics are a bit wonky.

You know you can have multiple bases, right?

Not sure if it works.Some of t he older mechanics are a bit wonky.

You know you can have multiple bases, right?

Oh, I know, but there's a lot of resources put into this one and hardcore takes longer to mine stuff due to storage limits. I'd rather find a way to tear down what I got and rebuild it on my preferred world with as little hassle as possible.

Oh, I know, but there's a lot of resources put into this one and hardcore takes longer to mine stuff due to storage limits. I'd rather find a way to tear down what I got and rebuild it on my preferred world with as little hassle as possible.
Gotcha.

Yeah, I'm not sure how the base storage unit works. They added it for one of the updates only for the purpose that they re-seeded the universe and everyone would lose their bases.

I wish they opened that one up to be able to store your base building materials in it, but you can't put stuff into it, I think.

If this is still valid, I'm guessing it will do the trick

You know what. I'm going to do a little test to see if it still works.

--edit

Tried it, and it seems to be working, but it looks like I didn't get back all of it. Maybe I did something wrong, but there's a bunch of material in the salvage capsule now. I started a base and just put some random stuff and deleted the base unit.

Last edited:
Started again in VR earlier for the first time since the update. I was pleasantly impressed with it I have to say. I know I’m late to the party (the sun has finally gone into hiding so I have too) but VR is a game changer for it.
The whole flight mechanic is going to take a bit of getting used to though

Anyone got any good VR mod suggestions?

So I am on my way slowly toward the centre, in part to progress the story, but trying to plot only rich vykeen worlds along the way (want to find a S class fighter or exotic), when I come across the perfect world for a base.

It's got green grass and fields, red leaved trees, blue sky, no hazards other than brief and infrequent hot rainstorms that aren't too hot, large oceans, and non-hostile sentinels. A ring around it, and two moons, plus a few other planets in the system. Lots of wildlife and plant types.

I set up a base by the coast, and am now transferring everything from my initial hellhole base. Seems like only a percentage of materials carries over, not the full amount, but it's a huge time saver. This will be my home away from home. Can't imagine topping it. I'll try to get some screenshots later.

On the PSVR I noticed having more than three landing pads on your base seems to create a frame rate issue, just FYI.

Yeah, he's a real charmer.

Here's a pic of my place right now. Better ones later hopefully (uploading screenshots while in PSVR isn't exactly easy).

71501446_10162422495705048_5258666968340234240_n.jpg

You can't see it well from this angle (and the screenshot for PSVR is kinda warped anyway), but I have two sub-bases linked to this one. One housing my underwater stuff, and one across a river for the exocraft (I'm on a scenic peninsula) and a bridge going over it as well.

The routine crashes at least give me an opportunity to post some eye-candy.

1bUTfwL.png

jQsQufc.png

oTIz8OL.png

uIxj3pp.png

As an aside, how best to broach getting a separate and brand new PC just for NMS with Mrs PiLhEaD, given the level of crashes (currently around every 15-20 minutes of gameplay... I'm at the point of giving up!). Suggestions please.

As an aside, how best to broach getting a separate and brand new PC just for NMS with Mrs PiLhEaD, given the level of crashes (currently around every 15-20 minutes of gameplay... I'm at the point of giving up!). Suggestions please.
Blow out dust in the cooling fan?

Introduce her to planet zoo. After she is hooked you will have no choice but to buy a new rig.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
The routine crashes at least give me an opportunity to post some eye-candy.

1bUTfwL.png

jQsQufc.png

oTIz8OL.png

uIxj3pp.png

Wow, that is some serious instability. Have you tried searching for discussions or clues with others with similar issues? In my case the game has run extremely stable even in VR (PC here, and a potato at that) so far. I stopped playing at around 40-50 hours (the longest NMS has managed to get me in the game actually, so well done Beyond) but that is just me not too attracted in general to these survival type games. I just need my flying and pew pew.

Top Bottom